Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

is it really worth upgrading to sky fibre pro?

This is a discussion on is it really worth upgrading to sky fibre pro? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; i been on sky fibre unlimited 38/40mb since april/may/june 2012... Is it really spending an extra 10 on the sky ...

jdsimp1234 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWBNP - Bridgend .South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

is it really worth upgrading to sky fibre pro?

i been on sky fibre unlimited 38/40mb since april/may/june 2012...

Is it really spending an extra 10 on the sky fibre pro worth it...how many of us think "is it a want or a need?"

...or is it better to wait until sky decide to cut fibre prices down...to upgrade to pro?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: is it really worth upgrading to sky fibre pro?

It is really up to you. Would it make any difference downloading a large file in 1 minute rather than 2? Is your connection regularly used by more than 4 users, downloading and gaming? Would your ego be any more massaged boasting about getting over 70Mbps? If your answer to these is No, then Pro is not worth the extra cost.
      gymno likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

but ask yourselves...is it a want or is it a need?

if its a want...and youll get the 70mb+ speed....then you have the weigh the consequences & the outcome of changing to it...

if its a need...your in a working business...ouch!....i forgot to ask is sky still giving their fibre packages, for domestic, for the home, or is sky allowing their fibre packages now for small businesses aswell? if sky are still not then...its more of a want than a need in the home...BUT if sky are now allowing for small businesses...then it would be more of a need...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

For me it is neither. It is something that I do appreciate though.

As for what I do with it, it allows me to upload files quickly with less messing around.

Often though it does depend on the other end though, more so now than before too.

Previously I could max out my connection easily enough with a single computer, where as now it is a little harder in some cases. Sure some torrents or multiple torrents an cause me to max it out, but the truth is they tend to be for a short period as they complete quickly.

However, now I can run more than one thing at the same time and not have to put something on pause as I used to do.

As for the cost, SFUP is not the best value for money wise product at the present time. Other providers can offer an up to 80/20 product for less money.

Do remember too that you will not necessarily get the full connection speed of 80/20. Officially it is a product that gets 74mb d/l to at least 10% of the customers. You will need to check to see what your line supports.

As for whether the price will come down, we all live in hope on this one.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

It's purely upto to you to make the decision. As you have said its a want/need basis so you, yourself need to answer the question.

As Scubbie has said not everyone will be able to get the full speed of 76Mb. What do the online estimates say your line can handle? and if its a low figure it still comes down to want/need

My own thoughts on my connection is yes I would like the faster speeds, yes my line can handle it (estimates come back as 72Mb), but no I don't need it. 40Mb is more than enough for my current situation and should I find that the occasional torrent that I download sucks up all the bandwidth so be it, its downloading quick so i'll just wait.

So I ask you....do you want a faster connection or do you need a faster connection...the choice is yours alone (or your families)
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdsimp1234 View Post
      but ask yourselves...is it a want or is it a need?

if its a want...and youll get the 70mb+ speed....then you have the weigh the consequences & the outcome of changing to it...

if its a need...your in a working business...ouch!....i forgot to ask is sky still giving their fibre packages, for domestic, for the home, or is sky allowing their fibre packages now for small businesses aswell? if sky are still not then...its more of a want than a need in the home...BUT if sky are now allowing for small businesses...then it would be more of a need...
      Sky Fibre is domestic use only and personally I wouldn't like be running a business where your ISP has an up 72 hour response time for faults, not without any backup at least.

Thanks

for me its more of a want...as i live on my own(single)....i have to way out the consequences of changing to it...i have been thinking about it for many months...just need a good number of opinions...to go for it...

I thought it would still be a domestic use only thing...its more of a want for most sky users then...including myself...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

It really comes down to what you do over the Internet.

If you are someone who takes a lot of photos, for example, which you like to upload on a regular basis, then you too will appreciate it. If you create a few videos too, then a nice fast upload speed is useful.

If you have a NAS with some videos which you would like to watch when you are away, then being able to stream them requires a good upload speed. So again, it could be beneficial.

In a few years I am sure that more people will be looking for 500mb or even 1gb connections, with the top speeds betweeen 5-10gb. Will people need these speeds? Will people want these speeds?

Will people utilise these speeds? With 4K UHDTV sets already in the shops, definately. With 8K TVs on their way the higher speeds will soon be sucked dry.

Of course not everyone is currently using their Internet to stream TV content. However services such as YouTube are incredibly popular and YouView is being pushed out. Sky have also now introdcued NowTV which also makes use of the ability to stream over the Internet.

So if you decide that your current 40/10 based connection is fine today, no problem. Keep an eye on things and perhaps later you will find that you want that little more speed later.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Why do people refer to these products as 40/10 and 80/20 when Sky only only offer 38/8 and 76/18 might I ask?

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

If you live close to the cabinet and there are only a few fibre users on that cabinet then it is possible to get download speed higher than 76Mb/S but advertising the service as 76/18 is likely to cause fewer complaints than up to 80/20. On paper it makes little difference but which is easier to say?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast