Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Wanted to upgrade from Sky Unlimited to Sky Fibre - but the exchange is full?

This is a discussion on Wanted to upgrade from Sky Unlimited to Sky Fibre - but the exchange is full? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys long time no speak! Long story short was offered an upgrade from Sky Unlimited to Sky Fibre by ...

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Wanted to upgrade from Sky Unlimited to Sky Fibre - but the exchange is full?

Hi guys long time no speak!

Long story short was offered an upgrade from Sky Unlimited to Sky Fibre by CS a few weeks ago, free activation and at half price for 6 months etc etc. Had to wait 2 weeks or so for my line rental to switch from BT to Sky . The line rental switched over y'day so I rang them today to put my order in. 28 minutes of being passed from person to person everyone telling me the system won't let them put the order in I was told it's because they only have a limited amount of space at the exchange so I can't get it.

Have I been fobbed off or something, is this true? I can't get fibre even though my exchange is enabled, so is the BT cabinet near me but it's all down to them not having enough equipment?

My profile is a bit out of date so I'll just leave my package details here:

- I can 100% get FTTC in my area.
      - Currently on Sky Unlimited.

Monday
      Last edited by Monday; 20-08-13 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Profile is out of date

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Wanted to upgrade from Sky Unlimited to Sky Fibre - but the exchange is full?

It is quite possible the fibre cab which serves your area is full, this has happened to quite a few members. After being enticed to change your phone rental by the promise of Fibre which you can't get, you have every right to be annoyed and should let them know in no uncertain terms. They should have checked if fibre was available to you before they made the offer. You should be entitled to some sort of compensation, maybe free phone rental until you are connected to the Fibre.

It seems to take longer for Sky to have access to any particular cabinet, BT and Plusnet seem to have priority. This means in some cases the cabinet is full before Sky get a chance, it should not happen, but it does. There are many reports of this happening to forum members, some dating back over a year.-
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...orts-left.html

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Monday (21-08-13)

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Wanted to upgrade from Sky Unlimited to Sky Fibre - but the exchange is full?

Thanks for the reply

I am quite annoyed having spent a lot of time on the phone to them and changing my TV packages too just to get fibre. Would have been nice to get something a bit better than 3.8mbs. Quite tempted to switch to talk talk or plusnet if they don't have any issues, however their phone packages are not as good as Sky talk.

They checked many times if I could get it and each time they said yes but the order wasn't going through. Then they put me through to some special team who said the equipment was full, they didn't mention the fibre cab though so I assumed it was the exchange. They said they'd have no idea when they would roll out more equipment :@.

Not really sure what to do, looks like I'm stuck with 3.8mbs down for quite a while now. There won't be any way of knowing when another port is available, I'll just have to ring every month or so and check it's ridiculous. They should have just flat out said we can't do it without changing all my things over.

/rant

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

If you could dial 17070 on your landline phone, who do you get?

Zo would indicate that you are on Sky's SVBN. BT would indicate that you are on WLR3. If you have Zo then it sounds more likely that the issue is with the cabinet. It if is BT, then it is possible that it is the Sky LLU kit in the exchange which is full.

Do you know how long ago FTTC was enabled in your area? If it is a long time, then it is very possible that the cabinet is full. This being the case, you might be better off sending and email to Openreach to find out what plans they have, if any, to upgrade the cabinet to be able to house more Fibre connections.

nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Monday (21-08-13)

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Thanks for the reply

Who is Zoe? I'll ring that number next chance I get, and try the things you have suggested I'm not sure but I think it was quite recent. We were one of the last to be connected.

Thanks

Zoe is the name of Sky's automated phone checking system. She annouces her name when you call her.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Zoe is the name of Sky's automated phone checking system. She annouces her name when you call her.

When i ring I don't get Zoe...I don't get anyone? The line just pules constantly and there's no one on the other end, any ideas?
      Last edited by Monday; 21-08-13 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks

Ok (looks puzzled). Definately not on Sky's SVBN then. This would indicate that the issue could well be a lack of space on Sky's kit.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Ok (looks puzzled). Definately not on Sky's SVBN then. This would indicate that the issue could well be a lack of space on Sky's kit.
      They are having trouble migrating me from BT line rental to Sky, then this morning our phone line went dead for 2 minutes (no dial tone or anything) and it just did it again.

Not sure what's going on

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Monday View Post
      When i ring I don't get Zoe...I don't get anyone? The line just pules constantly and there's no one on the other end, any ideas?
      You should get a reply no matter what service you are on. Try dialling 150 and see what that brings up.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast