Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree2Likes

Wanted to upgrade from Sky Unlimited to Sky Fibre - but the exchange is full?

This is a discussion on Wanted to upgrade from Sky Unlimited to Sky Fibre - but the exchange is full? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Update . Got an email back from Openreach from about 2 weeks ago when I queried about free ports on ...

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Wanted to upgrade from Sky Unlimited to Sky Fibre - but the exchange is full?

Update .

Got an email back from Openreach from about 2 weeks ago when I queried about free ports on my cabinet. I've been told that there are in fact plenty of free ports in the cabinet to connect to fibre (over 50%) so I should have no problem.

If all goes well I should have Sky Fibre on Friday.

*touchwood*

Ironically the new Sky hub SR101 they sent over has increased my ADSL speed from 3.5meg to 4.3 so hopefully I should have even better results with SFU.

Scubbie likes this.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Wanted to upgrade from Sky Unlimited to Sky Fibre - but the exchange is full?

Nice one!

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Update!

Kelly's Communications guy come round today so I expected the worst however he was actually pretty good. He installed a new VDSL face plate and did everything else.

After being on 3meg since 2007 this makes a nice change.

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 39998 kbps 10000 kbps

Anything I should know about or expect in my first few weeks on this new connection such as DLM and the speed slowing down as the months/years go by due to the cabinet being full of fibre connections?

Also is there any chance of me nagging Sky to give me the new SR102? It would be nice to clear up the mess of wires I have no due to so many plugs.
      Last edited by Monday; 06-09-13 at 10:37 AM.
      Scubbie likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Nice result.

Do you know what the speed estimate is from BT Retail? This will give you a better idea about what may happen in the future. If your estimated speed is say 50 or 60mb, then it will be unlikely that you will have an issue as yours is capped at 40mb. Had you gone for the SFUP product, then it would be more likely to be an issue.

As for have the SR102 instead of the BTO Modem & SR101 combination, at this stage I think that this is better. The electricity that the Modem uses is quite small, so shouldn't be an issue. I don't know about the results from the trial yet, but members have reported loss of speed issues caused from switching off the BTO Modem, where as you and I can happily switch off the SR101 with no issues what so ever relating to the connection speed.

If you intend to use your own router at a later date, then this may become an issue with the SR102. Again I don't know at this stage.

Edit: As for the wires, consider something such as a cable tidy or spiral wrap. The link below has a few examples to consider. From experience the spiral wrap is great, unless you wish to change the cables at a later date, but it is very easy to cut to length, the cable tidy is useful too:

http://www.solentcables.co.uk/acatal...anagement.html

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I have to agree with Scubbie, apart from being able to connect direct, there is no difference from the 101. Some may have reported speed drops, but as many have reported drops even with the 101, it may not be all down to the router. Having a modem gives you a wide choice of routers you can use. With the 102 you can only piggyback another router on to it. Someday Sky may release a modem like the BT Hub 5, then would be the time to push for a new router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Thanks I'll stick to SR101. Looking through it's logs this keeps coming up:

Lease renewed 3600 ip XX.XXX.X.X

This comes up a lot, what does this mean?

Thanks

That seems to be a 'feature' of Fibre where the lease is renewed every half hour or so and this is recorded in the log. The lease is actually 1 hour(3600 secs) but it is renewed at about 50% of this. I don't know why the lease should be so short on fibre and why the renewal is shown in the log, its not shown on ADSL.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

toekneem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EASBF
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That seems to be a 'feature' of Fibre where the lease is renewed every half hour or so and this is recorded in the log. The lease is actually 1 hour(3600 secs) but it is renewed at about 50% of this. I don't know why the lease should be so short on fibre and why the renewal is shown in the log, its not shown on ADSL.
      Not sure if it's a feature of fibre itself. I believe the very frequent lease requests are more a feature of SKY FIBRE.

Reading posts on BT Forum I beleive the Lease requests are no where near so often.
      toekneem

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Thanks guys

I just have one last problem however this one is related to the wireless. Only seem to be getting about 20 of the 40 meg around the house via the Sky hub. Wireless wizard app on my Android tells me channel 13 is the best one however it hasn't made much of a difference. I seem to be getting almost full bars about 4 ft away from this desktop I'm typing at mind you it's behind a wall and the best I can manage is 23mb.

Is it worth investing in one of these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-WN30...=wifi+extender

Thanks

It may allow you to pick up the signal from further away, but it will not increase the strength from where you are sitting getting the 23Mb. They can be got a lot cheaper which would not be too great a loss if it does not work out well.
      TP Link TL-WA750RE 150Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender - Aria PC

What you can do, especially if you are using Desktop PC, would be to use a couple of Homeplugs. If you can drill a hole through the wall and use an ethernet cable, that would be even better. Both of these would get you the best speed possible.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123