Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Wanted to upgrade from Sky Unlimited to Sky Fibre - but the exchange is full?

This is a discussion on Wanted to upgrade from Sky Unlimited to Sky Fibre - but the exchange is full? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme You should get a reply no matter what service you are on. Try dialling 150 and ...

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Wanted to upgrade from Sky Unlimited to Sky Fibre - but the exchange is full?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You should get a reply no matter what service you are on. Try dialling 150 and see what that brings up.
      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Ok (looks puzzled). Definately not on Sky's SVBN then. This would indicate that the issue could well be a lack of space on Sky's kit.

Update!

Our BT line went dead twice today, the first time I dialed 17070 I got no answer. Now the second time it went dead and came back alive I tried again but this time I got Zoe .

What does this mean in terms of fibre and my line rental?

I feel my line as switched over from BT to Sky however there still maybe an issue with the cabinet? Although when I ring they seem to deny this and say it's an issue with my activation.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Wanted to upgrade from Sky Unlimited to Sky Fibre - but the exchange is full?

It means you are on the SVBN and connected to Sky's equipment. Whether that means you can now get Fibre is another thing. If the problem was with the exchange then you should be OK and will be able to get Fibre. If the Fibre cabinet is full, its not going to make any difference, you will have to wait for a free slot.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

It means you are on the SVBN and connected to Sky's equipment. Whether that means you can now get Fibre is another thing. If the problem was with the exchange then you should be OK and will be able to get Fibre. If the Fibre cabinet is full, its not going to make any difference, you will have to wait for a free slot.
      Ok thanks, what do I say to Sky to get them to check for me if there are free slots? Because they all seem to be puzzled and keep telling me this isn't possible to not have free slots and have no idea what department I got forwarded to in the first place to get that information.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It is certainly possible to have no free slots in the Fibre cabinet. They do not have the same amount of connections available as the wired cabinet, so it is entirely possible it could be full. Ask them if there are slots why you can't be connected to Fibre. Now that you are on SVBN there should be no reason why they can't give you fibre as promised.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

It seems to take longer for Sky to have access to any particular cabinet, BT and Plusnet seem to have priority. This means in some cases the cabinet is full before Sky get a chance, it should not happen, but it does. There are many reports of this happening to forum members, some dating back over a year.-]
      Ofcom's rules don't allow any single ISP to have priority access to the fibre network. The usual problem is delays in getting the GEA-Cablelink ordered and installed which is down to Sky to get it sorted ahead of time. Where I am, I was able to order Sky fibre the day after BT Infinity was available.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

It is certainly possible to have no free slots in the Fibre cabinet. They do not have the same amount of connections available as the wired cabinet, so it is entirely possible it could be full. Ask them if there are slots why you can't be connected to Fibre. Now that you are on SVBN there should be no reason why they can't give you fibre as promised.
      Update!

I should if all goes to plan have fibre by early September now @ half price for 6 months no activation fee + free router . . I rang Sky and they had no problem placing the order this time, I inquired about the lack of fibre connections but they seemed to say this isn't the case...

I'm quite skeptical mind you, just expecting someone to tell me a few hours/days before the install date they've run out of slots.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

- - - Updated - - -

Update .

Was told a week or so ago the engineer would only need to access the property to install the new face plate if needed nothing about the Openreach modem so I was expecting to receive the new SR102 router. Today I received a router however it's the SR101 (white) router so I'm assuming Openreach will install a a face plate + new modem too?The SR101 router is a lot bigger than the previous black fastpath router it's replacing so I just assumed it had this VDSL router built in too.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

No the SR101 is just a router without the VDSL Modem. However it does have an ADSL modem.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      No the SR101 is just a router without the VDSL Modem. However it does have an ADSL modem.
      I have it working right now using my Sky Unlimited connection. So the Openreach engineer will install another modem too?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

The BTO Engineer will install the BTO Modem. This should ideally be wall mounted near the master socket, but can be placed further away if required.

You do not want anything drapping over the Modem. Once switched on there is normally no reason to ever switch of the Modem.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast