Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By tenar

Have I signed up too hastily?

This is a discussion on Have I signed up too hastily? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So I've been having issues with my broadband in the CV6 6FA area and was told by one of the ...

Micro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Have I signed up too hastily?

So I've been having issues with my broadband in the CV6 6FA area and was told by one of the advisors that upgrading to fibre might be a solution.

BUT, I checked my exchange and its FTTC, so I presume that if its using the same copper connections then I'll be having the same isssues right?

I only realised that after reading
      "
      If your copper cable is faulty, then BTO have a contract with Sky to maintain this and you would need to contact Sky (your Line Provider) in order for this to be repaired. This is the same process used for ADSL connections."

As my broadband issues are intermittent and I've only got the one socket so can't budge too much.

The engineer who came to fix the broadband last time, installed a new faceplate(for Unlimited broadband this is) and changed some cabling outside but the issue was still on going...

So should I cancel now? Or wait until the installation and see how that goes?

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max/superfast
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Have I signed up too hastily?

it really depends where the issue is , can all change depending on if fibre junction box attached to same cabling at exchange or if issue between you and cabinet

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

As tenar has stated, it really does depend on the specific issue you have and where the potential line fault is.

With the copper line your connection runs from the telephone exchange, via a series of joints of which the most well known about is the Green Stree Cabinet. At any point along this line, either at the joints or in the line itself, a fault could potentially exist.

With the FTTC setup you are still using the copper line for your telephone calls, and also the broadband shares the copper line from your Green Streen Cabinet to your home, but everything else is new.

So yes it s very possible that an existing issue may continue after you switch over, but a good BTO Engineer will pick up on what was previously changed and help to locate where the issue is sooner.

I have seen a variety of people with long-term issues which have never been resolved because BTO/Sky have refused due to the cost of replacing undergroung cables, for example.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Micro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Phew, Thanks @Scubbie and @tenar.

I managed to get an engineer to come in before the fibre installation and he found that the load balance was 50 when the minimum should be 55 and managed to do some wiring to fix it.

He found out as soon as he left the house and did a test about a metre away he could tell something messed up outside. He was kind enough to fit the new face plate for separating broadband and phone, so overall great result!

Hope the fibre installation goes ahead without a hitch...

But I do want to ask should I use the internet as usual when fibre is installed or should I use it less so that the DLM is put up higher?

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max/superfast
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

usage will make no difference
      Scubbie likes this.