Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SkyHub + Powerline / HomePlug problems

This is a discussion on SkyHub + Powerline / HomePlug problems within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, many apologies if this has been solved, but I had a good look and couldn't find my particular ...

iandunning4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

SkyHub + Powerline / HomePlug problems [Solved]

Hi there, many apologies if this has been solved, but I had a good look and couldn't find my particular problem.

I've had SkyFibre Unlimited for a couple of months, and have had a fully working setup as follows:
      SkyHub + Powerline / HomePlug problems-current_setup.jpg

The router is downstairs in my living room, and so the wireless coverage upstairs is a little poor. So I bought a TP-Link Powerline Wireless Extender (TL-WPA281). Ultimately this would sit in the place of the current modem-side HomePlug and I'd hardwire my PC in (using the newly-spare HomePlug) to get a more robust connection.

Unfortunately, nothing is playing ball. The router seems happy with 2 HomePlug devices and grabbing internet through it, but a 3rd device just will not connect properly.

Starting with the setup in its' above (working) state, I've plugged in the new (WPA281) HomePlug next to my PC, and hard connected to it. I can talk to the device (which has its own config page) and when you turn it on, it assigns itself an IP address on the home network. You can't talk to the router through this connection though, and after a short time (1 minute) the thing resets itself and has magically assigned itself a new IP address which is on a different subnet to the router. I can then talk to the device again through this new IP address, but connection to the home network is still unavailable.

This initially led me to believe that my new adaptor was faulty, but I've replicated my working setup with the WPA281 Wireless adaptor in place at the modem-side instead of the PA411, and things are okay - apart from the fact that I can't join the home network from the wireless signal on the WPA281. Adding one of the PA411s back into the mix near my PC and hard-connecting to it will not allow me on to the network.

For the record, all 3 devices can see each other using the supplied management software, and all 3 know each other's passwords. It's just that the Router does not seem to want to assign IP addresses to devices connected through the HomePlug network, but will happily retrieve internet from the modem. This drawing sums up my current setup with connections...
      SkyHub + Powerline / HomePlug problems-current_setup2.jpg

I hope that's enough information for people, but please ask me anything I've missed out... this was a bit of a braindump after about 10 hours of tearing my hair out. I'd consider myself fairly savvy with this sort of stuff, but I'm now at wit's end.

If any of you kind, higher, far more intelligent beings could help me out, I'd much appreciate it!

Ian
      Last edited by iandunning4; 12-08-13 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added "solved" to the title

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: SkyHub + Powerline / HomePlug problems

I can see the problem though I don't know the answer. The WAN port on the router has DHCP client software running on it not DHCP server so it won't assign IP addresses to anything connected to it via the powerline adaptors. The router will request an IP address from the BT modem which does have a DHCP server but the device is not a router so will only assign one IP address after which any other devices requesting an IP address will be disappointed. If the PC was the first device on the network instead of the Sky router it may get an IP address assigned but would never connect to the internet as it would not know how to authenticate with Sky's radius server. Is there any way you could arrange for the Sky router to be near enough to the BT modem to have a wired connection and use the powerline adapters to distribute your LAN to the other locations in your house?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

iandunning4 (12-08-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for your reply Seawright. I could rearrange my setup as you described, but ideally the SkyHub would be downstairs where I need the stronger signal.

Is there something I can do with the WAN setup page? I see the option to change the router mode to "WANOE Only" but am unsure if this will change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      The WAN port on the router has DHCP client software running on it not DHCP server so it won't assign IP addresses to anything connected to it via the powerline adaptors. The router will request an IP address from the BT modem which does have a DHCP server but the device is not a router so will only assign one IP address after which any other devices requesting an IP address will be disappointed.
      This seems completely at odds with what I thought I knew - I thought the SkyHub was a DHCP server (hence the "use Router as DHCP server" checkbox in the setup page) and that was issuing IP addresses to all the connected PCs/Laptops/Phones? Also, all of the Ethernet ports on my router look the same, none of them are marked as a "WAN" port - am I missing something?

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Homeplugs and wireless extenders are layer 2 devices (they don't even look at IP addresses of the traffic they carry, just the MAC), so there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do this. It should have absolutely nothing to do with DHCP, the IP address of each adapter is only for configuration purposes. However it does sound like odd things are happening with IP addresses so it might be worth manually assigning them.

My best guess is that the different homeplug adapters are not playing nice together. I would contact TP link and check compatibility.

The Sky Hub auto-senses which port the fibre modem is connected to and makes that the WAN port.

Edit: actually, I've just looked at your second diagram properly (sorry, it's too early) and I can see the problem too. Seawright is correct. Basically you're trying to add your LAN onto the WAN connection between the modem and router which will not work.
      Last edited by buddbuttocks; 12-08-13 at 08:22 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to buddbuttocks For This Useful Post:

iandunning4 (12-08-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

I see, so because the SkyHub has assigned my entire electrical circuit as the WAN, it refuses to assign DHCP over it... Well that makes sense I suppose!

I'll reconfigure as suggested and feedback later - many thanks guys.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

If you are interested, you could use an old router downstairs.

By placing the Sky Hub SR101 by the BTO Modem, and piggybacking old router, you could have 2 WiFi Hotspots.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

iandunning4 (12-08-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

As suggested, rearranged my setup like so:
      SkyHub + Powerline / HomePlug problems-current_setup3.jpg

Now everything is working like I wanted - thanks all for the swift responses!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Well done.

Just in case you haven't done so already, if you set the SSID (Wireless name) and security options so that both your Sky Router and the TP-Link Wireless Extender have the same options, any WiFi devices should switch between each as you move around your home.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      The router will request an IP address from the BT modem which does have a DHCP server but the device is not a router so will only assign one IP address after which any other devices requesting an IP address will be disappointed.
      A small correction. The Openreach modem is operating in "bridge" mode and can't assign an IP address because there is no DHCP server running in this mode. The router is assigned an IP address from Sky's network when it logs on to the network.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to simon194 For This Useful Post:

seawright (13-08-13)