Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree3Likes
    • 1 Post By scottmu65
    • 2 Post By andrewjr

Speedtest showing half speeds, no help from Sky

This is a discussion on Speedtest showing half speeds, no help from Sky within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I was upgraded Sky Fibre Unlimited installed on the 9th July 2013, I had read alot of horror stories about ...

scottmu65 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carlisle
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I was upgraded Sky Fibre Unlimited installed on the 9th July 2013, I had read alot of horror stories about it but assumed that was only a minority of people and that It probably wouldn't have any issues for me.
      For the first 10 days my speed was half what I was supposed to be getting, it didn't even fluctuate as much as I expected to during the initial period but I stayed patient as I know they say allow 10 days for everything to settle so I just assumed the slow speed was because of this and the Openreach engineer told me my line could receive the full 40Mbps.

After twelve days there was no change in speed, at least no increase, it kept fluctuating between 14 and 22Mbps, so naturally I rang Sky who kept offering me call-back after call-back, after what felt like days of phoning and being on hold 1they offered to do a line test before helping me diagnose the problem, the line test apparently failed for some reason but didn't say why, they said they needed to log the fault with openreach who would decide whether or not an engineer would be called out then they arranged a call back, I got the call back just for some guy to tell me I'd get another call back, I wasn't having this at all, I immediately rang back and another line test was done, again it failed, they aranged ANOTHER call back, an engineer turned up out the blue and changed the faceplate on my line (apparently something the first engineer failed to do) then done some tests and said everything was fine on the Openreach side of things but the speed issue had always been with Sky as the openreach router was receiving the full 40Mbps and 10Mbps download/upload speeds.

So I rang Sky immediately after he left only to be told that they were insisting on only letting the last person I spoke to deal with the issue so had to arrange yet another callback later in the day between 1 and 2pm, I never received a phonecall until around 5pm from yet another different guy, a very arogant and rude one at that who at first claimed that he couldn't do anything as apparently openreach hadn't logged any of the work carried out therefore he couldnt do a line test, however after he actually looked at the account seen that it had in fact been logged almost straight after the engineer visit (which made me think he was fobbing me off with excuses), he didn't even realise what my issues were with the broadband and even told me I was wrong when I told him that the engineer wasn't called out to deal with any speed issues, only to amend the fault that was preventing the line test (so he was blaming openreach for the speed problems not sky), he done the line test and that came back ok, so he directed me to a website to download a test file (thinkbroadband.com) he told me the URL and after I informed him that the address didn't work he told me I was wrong and to keep trying it (turned out he gave me the wrong URL and I had to navigate the site myself to get to the page he was on, which wasn't hard but still...) I downloaded the file and everything only to tell me the speed I was getting (1.7MBps) was 'good enough' and that there was no issues anymore so I had to explain to him that I had been on several different speed test websites and that they showed me differently, he then said that none were truly accurate and that he would only be worried if they were coming back less than 25Mbps and yet again I explained to him that all had come back between 15-22Mbps download speeds, to which he then replied that it must be my PC then ended the call!!

I am absolutely disgusted with the service I have received and I want this resolved! Not just the rudeness but the fact I was clearly fobbed off, maybe he was at the end of his shift and couldnt be bothered or something but really! He clearly stated that if the speedtests were coming back at anything less than 25Mbps then there was clearly and issue, I told him mine were alot less and he then just told me that I should get some PC support!! Even though I have tested with multiple devices both wired and wirelessly and all have the same result.

Surely this can't be right, that I am getting dodgy speed tests on EVERY device that I have tested with on a wired connection, I expect at least 35Mbps approx. What do I do now? Do I ring again and keep badgering or what? I just want what I am paying for.
      andrewjr likes this.

2. Advertisement
      andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Always do speedtests via wired to much can interfere with wireless.

Make sure that you use Namseco or Structured Communications in London when using speedtest.net as these have been confirmed by sky to handle the faster speeds of fibre bb.

The spec of the pc can have an affect on speedtests as well as Scubbie has proved on a separate thread.

You could also try installing JD's Auto Speedtester which uses multithreaded downloads to max out your connection. Ensure that you read the getting started part of the manual to configure the tester.

Also try temporarily turning off your AV program which can also affect your speedtests. Please make sure you turn this back on though.

Keep calling Sky as well. Some customers had problems with 1/2 speed but I believe Sky found the cause and fixed it a few months back
      speedyrite and sbradnam like this.
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > Ubiquiti UniFi | 58301/12298

Thanks

Re: Speedtest showing half speeds, no help from Sky

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      Always do speedtests via wired to much can interfere with wireless.

Make sure that you use Namseco or Structured Communications in London when using speedtest.net as these have been confirmed by sky to handle the faster speeds of fibre bb.

The spec of the pc can have an affect on speedtests as well as Scubbie has proved on a separate thread.

You could also try installing JD's Auto Speedtester which uses multithreaded downloads to max out your connection. Ensure that you read the getting started part of the manual to configure the tester.

Also try temporarily turning off your AV program which can also affect your speedtests. Please make sure you turn this back on though.

Keep calling Sky as well. Some customers had problems with 1/2 speed but I believe Sky found the cause and fixed it a few months back
      I configured JD's auto speed tester as you suggested and here are the results,

Speedtest showing half speeds, no help from Sky-jdast_results_2013-07-25_16-00.jpg

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Just for good measure, can you do a speed test using speedtest.net and select either Namesco or Structured Communications (both located in London) and post the result? These are the servers that Sky recommend. That will give a benchmark.

Also how many days since Openreach returned and fitted the filtered faceplate?

It might be that there is still a line fault to be fixed that has caused DLM to intervene and lower your throughput speed to provide a stable connection. If so, when it's fixed, DLM should raise it back up to what you are expecting. But the issue of whether or not there is a line fault needs to be established.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Just for good measure, can you do a speed test using speedtest.net and select either Namesco or Structured Communications (both located in London) and post the result? These are the servers that Sky recommend. That will give a benchmark.

It might be that there is still a line fault to be fixed that has caused DLM to intervene and lower your throughput speed to provide a stable connection. If so, when it's fixed, DLM should raise it back up to what you are expecting. But the issue of whether or not there is a line fault needs to be established.
      The engineer came yesterday morning around 8am, according to Sky the line is fine, here are the speed test results.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post

The engineer came yesterday morning around 8am, according to Sky the line is fine, here are the speed test results.