Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Like Tree13Likes

New Sky Hub in September

This is a discussion on New Sky Hub in September within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The bt tester is the same chipset as the eci's btw...

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: New Sky Hub in September

The bt tester is the same chipset as the eci's btw
      Scubbie likes this.

2. Advertisement
      mcpx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky do insist that you use their routers to connect to their bb, but that doesn't mean you have to use them for WiFi. I have been running my old Sky dsl 54g router as a modem for about 3 years without a problem. It is connected to a N router to give better speed/coverage and also to give me access to a usb hdd across the network

I ordered my fibre upgrade yesterday and was told that I would be getting the new hub with built in modem so I was hoping for an improvement over my current kit (dual channels) but it looks like I am out of luck.

So the plan is to use the new router as I do the old one, turn off the radio and connect it to my own AP (dd-wrt flashed Netgear) or I might play with putting the Netgear upstairs as an additional AP until I can upgrade it to something more powerful.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I ordered my fibre upgrade yesterday and was told that I would be getting the new hub with built in modem so I was hoping for an improvement over my current kit (dual channels) but it looks like I am out of luck.
      You might be better buying a BTO Modem from eBay and connect to it using your DD-WRT router. Many on the forum have done that.

Turning off the wireless does not make the router a modem, all it does it turn the router into a non-wireless router. The nearest you can get to using a router as a modem is to put the second router into the DMZ of the first.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You might be better buying a BTO Modem from eBay and connect to it using your DD-WRT router. Many on the forum have done that.

Turning off the wireless does not make the router a modem, all it does it turn the router into a non-wireless router. The nearest you can get to using a router as a modem is to put the second router into the DMZ of the first.
      Until I get hold of the new hub I won't know as I don't have the current version to experiment with.

As for the router, I think you misunderstand. Current Sky router has wireless turned off but otherwise functions as normal. 2nd router is connected to the 1st by ethernet and has dhcp turned off, this then becomes the ap to the wireless n network.

This may all be irrelevant anyway if the new hub is strong enough to cover my house sufficiently, in which case I wouldn't need a second router.

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Thanks

Dont expect miricles i dont think much of the wireless range of the SR102 its no better than the SR101

either way my two WR1043ND's acting as ap's (well one's an ap the others doing full routing now and pulling the ip off the openreach modem) with openwrt on them are 10x better than the SR102 was

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shonk View Post
      Dont expect miricles i dont think much of the wireless range of the SR102 its no better than the SR101

either way my two WR1043ND's acting as ap's (well one's an ap the others doing full routing now and pulling the ip off the openreach modem) with openwrt on them are 10x better than the SR102 was
      lol. When they said 'brand new updated version' I did have a faint glimmer of hope, but don't worry, I'm better now!

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcpx View Post
      Until I get hold of the new hub I won't know as I don't have the current version to experiment with.

As for the router, I think you misunderstand. Current Sky router has wireless turned off but otherwise functions as normal. 2nd router is connected to the 1st by ethernet and has dhcp turned off, this then becomes the ap to the wireless n network.

This may all be irrelevant anyway if the new hub is strong enough to cover my house sufficiently, in which case I wouldn't need a second router.
      That's basically what I do seeing as my "router" doesn't have wireless.

It was cheaper to buy a "router" with integrated dual band access point than it was to buy a dual band access point.. As a Bonus I effectively also ended up with a 4 port Gig switch thrown in (Well 3 usable as one connects it back to the network)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567