Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Like Tree14Likes

BT Home Hub 5

This is a discussion on BT Home Hub 5 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie Perhaps. I guess that this is a debatable option. Two devices will use a little more ...

Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: BT Home Hub 5

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Perhaps. I guess that this is a debatable option.

Two devices will use a little more electric, but it would also mean that the connection retains the connection speed. Whenever the BTO Modem is currently reset, the speeds appear to drop dramatically for around 10 days at present.
      That's interesting - after a year of rock solid 75mbs d/l my profile has suddenly been set to 66.08. Can't hear any noise on the quiet line test, but can't work out either how long ago the speed drop occurred. Are you fairly sure about that 10 day thing Scubbie?

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I've recently been messing around with wiring and modems which involved turning the modem off or at least disconnecting it on a least 5 occasions, maybe more.
      I have not experienced a drop in connection speed after any of the disconnects.
      I am on the 40/10 package however so maybe the drop is above the threshold that I can see ?

Mystic Eddy is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Rex View Post
      Shocking how people clearly don't understand what a non disclosure agreement actually means.....
      But when they're not under NDA for that particular product they can surely say what they want?
      MagicTorch likes this.
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

MagicTorch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: SkyQ Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Eddy View Post
      But when they're not under NDA for that particular product they can surely say what they want?
      Thanks Mystic Eddy.

It was me who mentioned the rumoured specs of the next hub on this thread, after I had read comments about the hub on other sites. As I stated in my original comment, I am not a Beta tester for the hub, or for the record, any other product (never have been & no intention of being one). If I was a Beta tester, I would adhere to the NDA 100%

Having stumbled across this thread & seeing discussion about the next BT hub, I genuinely thought it would be useful to share what I has read elsewhere & can see no problem with this, as I am under no NDA!!! However, some of the comments that have followed my post have made me feel that I have acted inapproriately!

Not sure if a couple of the comments on here about it being 'shocking' that someone has leaked info are aimed at me, or the beta testers who have leaked info on other sites. If not aimed at me, I apologise for being overly sensitive.

To be clear, I do not condone the leaking of info by people who have signed up to an NDA, but as someone who is not constrained by an NDA, I see no problem in relaying info that has already leaked.
      Last edited by MagicTorch; 17-07-13 at 07:30 AM.

silus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

If you have any info on the new device then post away if you have not signed an NDA. The most Sky can do is ask the mods to take it down if they feel the need to. If you've not signed an NDA you're not breaking any rules.

This isn't exactly Snowden levels of intel

MagicTorch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: SkyQ Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silus View Post
      If you have any info on the new device then post away if you have not signed an NDA. The most Sky can do is ask the mods to take it down if they feel the need to. If you've not signed an NDA you're not breaking any rules.

This isn't exactly Snowden levels of intel

Post deleted by MagicTorch
      Last edited by MagicTorch; 17-07-13 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Respect to Scubbie

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Meteosat View Post
      That's interesting - after a year of rock solid 75mbs d/l my profile has suddenly been set to 66.08. Can't hear any noise on the quiet line test, but can't work out either how long ago the speed drop occurred. Are you fairly sure about that 10 day thing Scubbie?
      From what I understand, and I am expecting a drop in my connection in due course, cross-talk between any addition connections in your cabinet will cause a drop in speed. In my case I ordered Fibre as soon as my cabinet was accepting orders. Perhaps in a year's time mine will be considerably slower.

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      I've recently been messing around with wiring and modems which involved turning the modem off or at least disconnecting it on a least 5 occasions, maybe more.
      I have not experienced a drop in connection speed after any of the disconnects.
      I am on the 40/10 package however so maybe the drop is above the threshold that I can see ?
      If the process has been modified, then great. Until now anyone who has had their BTO Modem restarted has reported a drop in connection speed.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicTorch View Post
      It was me who mentioned the rumoured specs of the next hub on this thread, after I had read comments about the hub on other sites. As I stated in my original comment, I am not a Beta tester for the hub, or for the record, any other product (never have been & no intention of being one). If I was a Beta tester, I would adhere to the NDA 100%...
      To be fair the person should never have posted anything on the other forum. End Of.

Personally I would have banned them instantly from the group, irrespective of how accurate their information happens to be or not.

I personally am in a difficult position with these beta groups, not just because I have been involved with some myself, but also because I have seen the positive benefits of these groups and have profited (not financially) from them.

On several occasions I have asked a groups of those involved to chat privately in order to produce things for this forum when the product has gone live. This has meant that we are able to deliver good and reliable information to this forum when the item has been available, rather than wait days or weeks for someone who happens to get one to let us all know.

As a direct result we are now able to inform people about the latest EPG updates and what to expect. We have what I hope is a great set of guides for the SR101. There are several other items being compiled for future releases from Sky. I can not say what they are, but I hope that people will like them.

As I tried to suggest earlier in this thread, the person who posted the details of the new router is a dishonest person. Either they lied and broke the NDA or they have lied to everyone on the public forum. Either way I would not trust them.

Quote Originally Posted by silus View Post
      Please DO NOT. Put simply, Sky are trusting those taking part in the beta testing. There has been a lot of resistance within Sky to open this up.

On the positive side the beta testing has had huge benefits for all sides and I would hate to see them break down.

Those who have been involved in the EPG Beta groups I trust would agree with me in stating that as a group we have helped to identify lots of 'issues' and have seen these resolved. The current EPG has been a complete change from the previous EPG, although there are many similarities. I know it isn't perfect. I know too that things are still being worked on.

Ultimately the majority of people just want to switch on their TV and for everything to work.

All the bug reports I see on the public forums and privately I try to feed back directly to the people concerned. This has helped speed up the process and reduce the problems which people have reported.

Yes I am well aware of the issues with the Pace, Samsung and DRX780 STBs. These have been identified and someone is working on them.

So please, can I ask everyone to respect the NDAs whether or not you are involved in the Beta Testing. They are there for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicTorch View Post
      LOL! OK, here is a link to the photo:...
      grrrr....

I appreciate that other forums are not monitoring for these posts on a regular basis. I will not go into the private discussions that I am aware of from other members involved in the beta testing. Needless to say that everyone is disappointed with such posts.
      speedyrite, Meteosat and mattan like this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

From what I understand, and I am expecting a drop in my connection in due course, cross-talk between any addition connections in your cabinet will cause a drop in speed. In my case I ordered Fibre as soon as my cabinet was accepting orders. Perhaps in a year's time mine will be considerably slower.
      I would expect that also - but does that immediately alter the line profile? And 10mbs in a month seems a lot for this quiet street. If any more join I could be back down to ADSL speeds ;-)

Cheers

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Meteosat View Post
      I would expect that also - but does that immediately alter the line profile? And 10mbs in a month seems a lot for this quiet street. If any more join I could be back down to ADSL speeds ;-)
      I do not think that it will be that bad.

I can't recall what speed estimates you were provided but I would watch to ensure that you do not drop below them.

In my case the estimated speeds were around 62-64 (BT Retail ~62, Sky ~64). If my line drops lower that this then I will be concerned and expect someone to look into things.

As far as noise levels are concerned, this is where ADSL and VDSL differ.

With ADSL any noise on the line such as clicking or loud hissing almost always indicates a line fault. The fault can be anywhere between the exchange and the customer's premises.

Whilst with VDSL the same can be present, the connection from the green street cabinet to the fibre cabinet does not carry any voice communications. Also the connection from the fibre cabinet to the exchange is independent of voice too. Both of these could have a problem.

Do Sky have access to the diagnostic information? I am not sure. It may well be that they will need to contact BTO.

Thinking through this, it may be worth contacting Sky but be prepared for a simple response stating that there is nothing wrong.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thinking through this, it may be worth contacting Sky but be prepared for a simple response stating that there is nothing wrong.
      Actually I was piggy-backing on the thread, re your comment about BT modem - as I am with BT Infinity 80mb line.
      Cheers and thanks

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast