Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

What the different between SR101 hub and the 69 fibre Hub.

This is a discussion on What the different between SR101 hub and the 69 fibre Hub. within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I Brought a SR101 Hub in Oct 2012. I'm on Sky Broadband Unlimited. I want to upgrade to Sky Fibre ...

Donnyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What the different between SR101 hub and the 69 fibre Hub.

I Brought a SR101 Hub in Oct 2012. I'm on Sky Broadband Unlimited. I want to upgrade to Sky Fibre Unlimited. I phoned up sky to ask about it. They saying that I have to have a new hub. I paid for this hub thinking that it will see me through to fibre only to find that not the case. From what I can see is that there is no different but they saying it is. Is this true?

I know it free but it the principle of it as when I asked them in October if there was any change needed in a short space of time from buying the hub they said no. I feel that I've been conned by Sky.

Is anyone using the SR101 Hub that came out before Fibre with the fibre now? If so any problems?

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: What the different between SR101 hub and the 69 fibre Hub.

They are the same, I've just had the same thing happen to me, although I didn't pay for my first one.
      Its always handy to have a spare.
      Bit of a bummer having had to pay for the first one tho.

Donnyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

My other thought is I've got to pay 50 set up fee yet they will send me a 69 Hub that the same free. By the sound of it, I don't need the hub if it the same so why can't they use that 69 to pay the set up fee instead of sending me something I've already got. I'm saving them 19. It don't make sense.

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

try the old BT/Plusnet are cheaper line (or something similar) to see if you can get 50 fee waived.
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > Ubiquiti UniFi | 58301/12298

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnyrider View Post
      My other thought is I've got to pay 50 set up fee yet they will send me a 69 Hub that the same free. By the sound of it, I don't need the hub if it the same so why can't they use that 69 to pay the set up fee instead of sending me something I've already got. I'm saving them 19. It don't make sense.
      Sometime with big corporations our common sense isn't the same as theirs.

Their systems will be setup to enable a fibre upgrade and that will mean the Sky employee is following a script and ticking boxes on their computer.

Tbh it would probably cost them more to have the software altered than it does to give the odd router away unnecessarily here and there.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      Sometime with big corporations our common sense isn't the same as theirs.

Their systems will be setup to enable a fibre upgrade and that will mean the Sky employee is following a script and ticking boxes on their computer.

Tbh it would probably cost them more to have the software altered than it does to give the odd router away unnecessarily here and there.
      Indeed in a lot of these cases it's not that the C/S rep being awkward it's that they're limited in what the systems will allow them to do.

Some places even force them to go through the troubleshooting scripts before the systems let them do anything.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

I Brought a SR101 Hub in Oct 2012. I'm on Sky Broadband Unlimited. I want to upgrade to Sky Fibre Unlimited. I phoned up sky to ask about it. They saying that I have to have a new hub. I paid for this hub thinking that it will see me through to fibre only to find that not the case. From what I can see is that there is no different but they saying it is. Is this true?

I know it free but it the principle of it as when I asked them in October if there was any change needed in a short space of time from buying the hub they said no. I feel that I've been conned by Sky.

Is anyone using the SR101 Hub that came out before Fibre with the fibre now? If so any problems?
      AFAIK the Fibre upgrade is currently free (no activation fee) and you can get 6 months half price fibre (Or 6 months FREE if you have Sky Sports and keep it (Sky Sports) for at least the 6 months) for any existing customers. At least that's what Turnaround (Retention) have been told so anyone in this department can give you this offer.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Sky, and any other ISP that uses the BTO FTTC cabinets, has to pay BTO 50 for the installation.

The current practise of supplying the router FOC to new contracts is the same as when Sky were providing new ADSL based connections.

As for using the Sky Hub SR101 which you were using on your ADSL connection, other than ensuring that the WAN setting is on 'Auto' when you switch, or later 'WANOE' for a quicker re-connect, there is nothing else to do.

The Sky Hub SR101 comes ready for both ADSL and Sky Fibre. The only difference in the packaging is that there are two ADSL filters and one Ethernet cable in the box intended for ADSL customers and two Ethernet cables for Fibre customers.

The firmware versions are identical.

Connection wise you use the ADSL Modem port for ADSL and an Ethernet port for Fibre.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.