Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Poor VPN connection on SR101

This is a discussion on Poor VPN connection on SR101 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I am getting dropped connections from my VPN (iPredator), often every minute or so. I understand this is due ...

BigDave17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01543
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Poor VPN connection on SR101

Hi,
      I am getting dropped connections from my VPN (iPredator), often every minute or so. I understand this is due to the SR101 router, and that Sky don't support the use of VPN's, something I wish I had known about before joining Sky, and paying out 15 for the VPN yesterday! I have not had any luck in finding any answers to my problem. So is there any way to configure the router to prevent dropped connections? Changing the MTU did not help. Alternatively, are there any VPN's that are known to work with the router?

2. Advertisement
      simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Poor VPN connection on SR101

Cisco AnyConnect works but it's rather an expensive solution.

You could replace the Sky hub with a better router that works with Sky such as the Billion BiPAC 7800.

Thanks

OK, thanks for that Simon. I will have a think about the router. I didn't really want to pay out for a new one though! It does appear that the Billion router has a problem with the wifi failing after a while, something to consider. Also, not sure how easy it is to setup with Sky fibre, although I have not found many people who have had difficulty. It's just that I am not an IT expert! I think that buying a new router hinges on whether I stay with Sky once my contract expires in 8 months. If so, then it would be worthwhile to do just that.

Masai is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-N66U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I've been using HMA VPN and it works perfectly, constantly maxing out my 40mb connection. I use the old sky sagem router though. How comes you think its the router that's the problem? I was hoping to get the new fibre router when my contract is up for renewal in a couple of months, will stick with the sagem if the new one can't deal with vpn's!

What kind of connection are you using with your vpn? I use openvpn.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Masai View Post

What kind of connection are you using with your vpn? I use openvpn.
      Is that via their App or the standard OpenVPN client, as the standard client can leak dns requests as I found out much to my annoyance when I made a typo on a domain and got the talktalk search page, the whole point of using the VPN was to avoid that stupid security scanner following me around...

Masai is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-N66U
      Thanks

I use the standalone openvpn program. Gives a much more reliable and faster stable connection in my experience compared to their app. I use comodo firewall and have rules setup so that if the vpn goes down the firewall butts in and stops a any traffic passing any data for a particular program.

Thanks

Hi Masai,

I have been using iPredator since it was launched (I think around 2010) and it never gave me a problem with my previous ISP. Alright, it did disconnect me at times, but infrequently. Since changing to Sky and the SR101 router things have been different and I really can't make any sense of what is happening. Some days I have zero disconnections while other days I am disconnected alomost every minute, and this goes on all day, often through the night. Rebooting the router or PC does not help. I can't see it being the Swedish ISP because they would surely not survive with such a poor service, and I have not found similar comments online from anyone else. Also, I was told on the official Sky forum that their routers don't support VPN. However, this also does not make any sense since I have some perfect "connection" days. I use the software provided by iPredator. Sorry but I installed it 3 years ago and don't really know much about it.

I have just had a quick look at the HMA VPN. It's is not clear how annonymous it really is. Do they store any personal details, or login info? Can credit card info be traced back etc?

By the way, another issue I have with the SR101 router is that it doesn't support Nat Loopback, so I can't monitor my home camera network.

Regards

Dave

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave17 View Post

By the way, another issue I have with the SR101 router is that it doesn't support Nat Loopback, so I can't monitor my home camera network.

Regards

Dave

Surely if you're inside the Lan you'd simply enter the internal address of the camera instead of your external address?

Nat loopback/Hair-pin NAT is usually only used if you expect to access something inside the network using it's external address and it's far from ideal as it will require extra contrack entries in the firewall.

It will also require the router to modify the source address of the packet so that the reply is sent back to the router and not directly to you as you'll end up with asynchronous routing where the outbound request goes via the router but the return packet is sent directly to your host (Assuming a fairly simple home network where everything is within the same subnet/L2 broadcast domain).
      Last edited by dragon2611; 08-07-13 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Removed paragraph about core routers after relising just how stupidly absurd I was being ;-)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Yes it is possible to use the internal IP Address, but from personal experience it is a pain. I have to have two apps on my phone in order to access my own IP Cameras at the moment. I could have all 4 camera settings in one app, but it makes for an untidy screen when I look at them.

@BigDave17: Does the camera use UPnP or have you set up a manual port forward? If you are using UPnP could I ask you to try a manual port forward and see if this helps please.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I did manage to get 2 of my IP cams working by manually configuring port forwarding. After a while they stopped working (when on wifi). I think this was to do with the BT openreach hub which failed, and has since been replaced. However, my router appears to have lost the port forwarding that I set up, possibly due to power cuts? So I will take another look at setting up my IP cams tomorrow, if you will bear with me. As for using the internal IP address, that works fine when the cams are connected via ethernet cable but i never found a way to do that when they are using wifi.

My VPN connection has had zero disconnects during the last 18 hours! Maybe it is not a router issue after all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast