Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Poor VPN connection on SR101

This is a discussion on Poor VPN connection on SR101 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by BigDave17 I did manage to get 2 of my IP cams working by manually configuring port forwarding. ...

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Re: Poor VPN connection on SR101

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave17 View Post
      I did manage to get 2 of my IP cams working by manually configuring port forwarding. After a while they stopped working (when on wifi). I think this was to do with the BT openreach hub which failed, and has since been replaced. However, my router appears to have lost the port forwarding that I set up, possibly due to power cuts? So I will take another look at setting up my IP cams tomorrow, if you will bear with me. As for using the internal IP address, that works fine when the cams are connected via ethernet cable but i never found a way to do that when they are using wifi.

My VPN connection has had zero disconnects during the last 18 hours! Maybe it is not a router issue after all.
      Don't forget They'll have a different IP address on Wi-FI as it's a different network adaptor, therefore will either need to be statically set or will obtain another IP address via DHCP.

2. Advertisement
      Masai is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-N66U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi Masai,

I have been using iPredator since it was launched (I think around 2010) and it never gave me a problem with my previous ISP. Alright, it did disconnect me at times, but infrequently. Since changing to Sky and the SR101 router things have been different and I really can't make any sense of what is happening. Some days I have zero disconnections while other days I am disconnected alomost every minute, and this goes on all day, often through the night. Rebooting the router or PC does not help. I can't see it being the Swedish ISP because they would surely not survive with such a poor service, and I have not found similar comments online from anyone else. Also, I was told on the official Sky forum that their routers don't support VPN. However, this also does not make any sense since I have some perfect "connection" days. I use the software provided by iPredator. Sorry but I installed it 3 years ago and don't really know much about it.

I have just had a quick look at the HMA VPN. It's is not clear how annonymous it really is. Do they store any personal details, or login info? Can credit card info be traced back etc?

By the way, another issue I have with the SR101 router is that it doesn't support Nat Loopback, so I can't monitor my home camera network.

Regards

Dave
      Hey Dave,

I dont believe HMA save any logs, they were recommended by torrentfreak a few years back when I joined. If I were you I would ditch their own software and set up a PPTP or L2TP (or openvpn if they support it) connection from within windows that way you'll know if its their software buggering things up. A direct connection is usually more faster and reliable. When Sky say they dont support vpn, surely they just mean they wont give any help setting up/troubleshooting.

I think HMA do a free trial so give it ago! - I don't mind remoting onto your pc to help set it up if you like. I know the openvpn setup very well after many hours of troubleshooting things for myself and friends.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

I have just had a quick look at the HMA VPN. It's is not clear how annonymous it really is. Do they store any personal details, or login info? Can credit card info be traced back etc?
      Of course CC info can be traced back, even if HMA wern't willing to co-operate can't necessarily say the same for your Bank.

I did notice there was talk about payment proccessors blocking payments to known VPN companies because they help facilitate piracy, which personally find to be disgusting and I hope if one of the VPN providers do find themselves blocked from processing payments that they are able to take the payment processors to court and win millions.

VPN itself is not illegal it simply tunnels your traffic to another location and often encrypts it in the process the use of a VPN with good encryption is a sensible measure to take in many circumstances (Particularly public wi-fi hotspots where anyone with the right bit of software can just sit there and sniff your traffic)

The VPN providers may or may not keep logs of who they issued an IP to and for when, depends on your purpose for wanting to use a VPN I suppose, if someone had enough resources and enough network access it may be possible to track the origin of the traffic. These VPN services probably won't help much if it's the likes of the NSA/FBI.etc you want to hide from.

Also I'd recommend avoiding PPTP as it's security is rather broken.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Here's more info about credit card providers banning vpn transactions...
      Mastercard and Visa Start Banning VPN Providers? | TorrentFreak

I can see bitcoin gaining polularity rapidly, though i've not quite got my head round it yet!

BigDave17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01543
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Masai View Post
      Hey Dave,

I dont believe HMA save any logs, they were recommended by torrentfreak a few years back when I joined. If I were you I would ditch their own software and set up a PPTP or L2TP (or openvpn if they support it) connection from within windows that way you'll know if its their software buggering things up. A direct connection is usually more faster and reliable. When Sky say they dont support vpn, surely they just mean they wont give any help setting up/troubleshooting.

I think HMA do a free trial so give it ago! - I don't mind remoting onto your pc to help set it up if you like. I know the openvpn setup very well after many hours of troubleshooting things for myself and friends.
      Hi Masai,

Well, VPN still solid with no disconnections, so I can only think that I was wrong to blame the router and that my initial problems were in fact caused by the ISP itself. Thanks for your offer of help should I decide to change. I am paid up for another 10 weeks and hopefully no further problems, but I will gratefully take up your offer if I feel the need to change. I doubt if the FBI will be extraditing me for DL'ing an episode of Home & Away, but I prefer to be cautious just the same! I paid with Paypal by the way! I have never used Bitcoin either.

Regarding the ip cams, I am still struggling with those. Fine with the cable but wifi still not working. I set these up with few problems with my old ISP, just can't seem to sort things out via Sky. They all have static ip addresses and their own url's. 3 of the 4 are Axis cams, and one is an EyeSpy (a very different setup which I have not looked at yet). I have created services and inbound rules for the Axis cams.
      I have a couple of screengrabs which I will try to upload. I have corrupted the port data etc, but the service & inbound rules do have the same ports and each device has it's own unique ip address. I wonder if I have messed up the tcp/ip info? But as I said, it was working before my modem went belly up and I reset the router. Strangely though, the Axis setup page does not "see" my router. It lists other routers in the neighborhood. My TV, phone, Laptop connect to my SR-101 fine via wifi.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Poor VPN connection on SR101-services.jpg   Poor VPN connection on SR101-inbound.jpg  

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Masai,

Well, VPN still solid with no disconnections, so I can only think that I was wrong to blame the router and that my initial problems were in fact caused by the ISP itself. Thanks for your offer of help should I decide to change.
      No worries, feel free to drop me a PM. Just to clarify did you mean the problem was with IPreditor not Sky (ISP)?

BigDave17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01543
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Masai View Post
      No worries, feel free to drop me a PM. Just to clarify did you mean the problem was with IPreditor not Sky (ISP)?
      Yes, with iPredator. I don't see any other reasonable explanation. Oh, and connection with iPred still great - No overnight disconnections.

GedNE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

try Astrill VPN, excellent speeds n excellent service... used them for over 3 years now and no probs, just moved back to Sky (within last two weeks) from Virgin and astrill works superb on Virgin and on Sky..(and Astrill not at all expensive - altho I would love to use it via my Router using DD WRT, which they offer.. but aint got the techy know how tbh) ... if you cant see a free 30 day trial, drop me a PM and I can send you a link.. and if you use torrents they have dedicated servers for that, and yes they are fast too..On Virgin I was getting around 3.5 MB/s .. which is very fast for a VPN connection from my experience of the "many big name VPN's being advertised
      Personally I would never use HMA... or for that any VPN that is linked to any torrent website (or advertises that they are dedicated torrent VPN's... they are usually total rubbish.. ;0)
      Edit: ... and yeah I really need to update my siggy from few years ago when last on Sky... lol..
      Last edited by GedNE; 15-07-13 at 09:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Exchange:
      Thanks

HMA maxes out my connection. 4.2MB/s on torrents and usenet. Been using them for over 2 years and has been 100% reliable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12