Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree2Likes
    • 2 Post By highwayman

Excellent service from Sky

This is a discussion on Excellent service from Sky within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Called up tech support last night after a few weeks of random wireless access loss, wired access always okat a ...

highwayman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gainsborough
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: sky hd+ 1tb
      Thanks

Excellent service from Sky

Called up tech support last night after a few weeks of random wireless access loss, wired access always okat a steady 38 nbps down. After a few minutes fault finding the adviser suggested and talked me through changing wifi channel This led to a speed increase on wifi but Iasked what happens if the wifi cut out again tge adviser offered a hub if I recontracted for a year but agreed to send a hub fot free when ge saw I was just within my contract. He then went on to give hakf price fibre for six months and half price line rental for a year I then asked for a free wireless connector whuch was akso agreed to. So in short fault addressed and worthwhile savings for up to a year. Well done sky one happy customer.
      Scubbie and mattan like this.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: Excellent service from Sky

When you receive your Sky Hub SR101, could I ask that you leave the WiFi channel settings on 'Auto' for a couple of weeks?

The programming in the Sky Hub should help to find the quietest/best channel where you are and it is possible it may take a few days as not everyone leaves their routers on 24/7 and also not every router is busy all the time.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Absolutely no problem I left the sagen on auto for the last 8 months it was only changed last night on Sky's advice. It will ve earning it's keep on the wireless side with 2 laptops, 4 tablets and 4 phones with very active media streaming going on! Let's hope it lives up to the best of the feedback from others on here!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

It is unusual, but there again it could be that a neighbour has changed something and this is what has caused the problem.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

The issue had been building over the last six weeks or so with first one off inability to connect by wireless on any of our many wireless devices culminating in almost daily until yesterday. Oddly enough the channel suggested (11) seems to have more people on it albeit at sime distance according to their signal strength but thanks to an extremely clued up adviser it will not be ab issue soon. Thanks for the tip if I have any more issues befire the hub arrives I will run my wireless scanning app to see if someone is on the same channel

tonymurphy30 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01772
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD x 3
      Thanks

You may find tools like inSSIDer may not help your investigations. 802.11b/g use the 2.4Ghz band, and normally will co-exist with other wi-fi units that happen to be using the same channel, as through the design, they nicely ask each other if it's OK to talk on the channel. The main culprits are TV senders / baby monitors, these use the same 2.4Ghz range, but just blast out their transmissions, oblivious to other equipment using that frequency. Other devices are old cordless Phones, cordless headphones and even some microwaves, non of which will be seen on software monitoring tools.

If your router / equipment if 802.1a or 802.11ac compatible then a move to the 5Ghz band will possible help as firstly there are a lot less wifi base units that can use this band and secondly it's exclusive to wifi.

Tony