Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dropping Connection

This is a discussion on Dropping Connection within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; On fibre 40mb service. Connection reports as 39999 down 10000 up and am getting download speeds consistently to support this ...

Getyogrooveon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Dropping Connection

On fibre 40mb service. Connection reports as 39999 down 10000 up and am getting download speeds consistently to support this - very pleased with this, however, recently (last month or so) I see to be getting an issue whereby I get no internet connection.

Everything looks normal, no flashing lights etc on either the router or modem. The router reports the connection as fine "adsl up" etc. I can sometimes disconnect and then reconnect which will momentarily fix the issue, before having no connection again, other times this works permanently or other times not at all. Some times rebooting the router works, sometimes not. This outage can last anything from 30 seconds to 1 hours. It doesn't happen every day, but is getting more frequent, and seems to often be around 4pm, 7.30pm or 10pm. May be coincidental, but found if I reset the router to factory settings (a pain due to port forwards/ reserved IPs etc) it seems to behave for a few days, but then the issue returns.

Any ideas? It almost seems like the early days of Sky's ADSL service when I used to have to run a little program from this site to monitor the connection and reset it every now and again (way it by Mossy or something like that?). As with all intermittent issues, can guarantee wont be an issue if I phone Sky!

2. Advertisement
      f4780y is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01292 Troon
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

Re: Dropping Connection

I'm having similar problems. My fibre only got installed on Wednesday, but so far I've lost connection overnight each night, but it also happened to me just now. All lights on modem and hub show I am connected, but I can't browse anything. The interesting thing is, I can ping things, although I saw a little packet loss.
      A reboot of the openreach modem fixes it, but I'll be pretty upset if I've got to reboot the modem on a daily basis.

I too would be keen to hear any ideas. I take it there is no way to reboot the modem remotely?
      My SR101 firmware is 1.15i.2202.R, which I think is an older version...
      Last edited by f4780y; 30-06-13 at 12:18 AM.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Did you use the Sky Hub SR101 on ADSL before you got Fibre? If so, is the router mode perhaps set to "ADSL Only"?

I was reading of someone who had a similar problem with having to reboot the Sky Hub every day and it was still setup for ADSL use. This might not be the case for you but it might be worth checking, just to be sure and to eliminate as a cause.

I've got mine setup like this:

1. Ethernet cable from openreach modem connected to the bottom port (next to the power in cable). This is important for step 2!
      2. Router mode set to "WANoE Only". To do this, login to the Sky Hub user interface and check/change the router mode setting (navigate to Advanced > WAN Setup) - select "WANoE Only" from the drop-down list and then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Apply" to save the setting.

The latest firmware version is 1.15j.2639.R - the Sky Hub should eventually update itself to the latest version.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to speedyrite For This Useful Post:

Getyogrooveon (30-06-13)

Thanks

Thanks, I hadn't used the router on ADSL before, however I have set the configuration as you suggested in 1 & 2. Hopefully the firmware will update soon

However, it does feel to me like it is the modem, and not the router that has the problem. The only way I could get it to clear was to power cycle the modem. No matter what I did to the router first, it would not re-connect (including multiple resets).

UPDATE - Router now has the 2639 firmware, so fingers crossed I don't see the connection "hang" today.
      Last edited by f4780y; 30-06-13 at 01:03 PM.

Getyogrooveon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Likewise, the router was new when I had fibre installed. I have set the setting as described however. Doing a bit of testing earlier in week when internet went down for hours found that by running a ping test I was getting a ping response from bbc.co.uk for about 10 seconds in every minute. I unplugged the Sky HD box from the router and full connectivity was instantly restored. I rebooted the Sky HD box and plugged it back in, and everything was stable then until last night when I initiated a iPlayer download on the Sky HD box, and almost instantly internet connection went down. Cancelled the the download and within a minute or 2 connectivity came back. Might have been coincidence....

Thanks

Just had another freeze myself. Could ping google.co.uk, although it failed about 1 in 20 pings. But couldn't actually browse anything except the router. Restarting the router was no good. Restarting the modem brought everything back to normal, although I have lost 500kbs off the download speed for the power cycle.
      Will definitely look at the SkyHD box first tomorrow if this happens again and report back. As you say, it may be coincidence, but I had just put the box onto standby for the night when my latest freeze happened.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

OK you have checked that everything is cabled up correctly at the router and the firmware has now updated to the latest version. Are you having to reset the modem just once a day or several times a day? I think I would now be inclined to give the fibre team a quick call and ask them for advice (maybe there's a line fault)?
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

nl74 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: strood
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Thanks

Dropping Connection

Interesting I have seen this a few times too. All the lights look fine but no Internet connection.

It last happened on Saturday and as I was going out I just left it and it was fine when I got back so I did not power down the modem.

Thanks

Thanks nl74, I'll try and "bear with" when it happens today and see if it comes back of it's own accord and how long that takes…

Thanks

For info. Happened again tonight, about 22:30. Tried everything I could think of without actually touching the modem but to no avail (including power cycling and disconnecting the SkyHD).

To fix this time, I unplugged and re-plugged the main modem phone line cable from the master wall socket (as instructed by the router when it too realised I had no connection), when I then reset the router, I was back in business. I could see the modem LED flash as the line went through a re-sync after pulling the cable. Not sure if that has the same effect as a reboot of the modem, but this time my speeds went up, not down… Only by a small margin, but up none the less.
      I'll be contacting the fibre team at some stage, as it "feels" like a line fault.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast