Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky Fibre - Leave on or turn off?

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre - Leave on or turn off? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello I had sky fibre installed today and have a few questions. - Historically I have always switched off my ...

nl74 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: strood
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hello

I had sky fibre installed today and have a few questions.

- Historically I have always switched off my router overnight and when I am away, the only exception to this was the initial 10 day period for the line tests etc. Can I switch off the modem router or both in the same way or is it not recommended?
      - Linked to the previous point is there the same 10 day line test thing that Sky do for fibre? They specifically mentioned it when I moved home on standard ADSL but have not mentioned anything for fibre.

Thanks

Neil

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky Fibre - Leave on or turn off?

The BTO Modem should be left on 24/7. If you power it off this tends to mess up the connection speed and you will find that when you next access the Internet that your speeds are very slow. BTO's DLM software runs all the time and it can take a week to 10 days to get your connection speed back up.

The router is a different thing. Whilst it is actually better to leave the router switched on 24/7, switching it off will not affect the connection speed.

I would tend to recommend leaving it on all the time though. The actual power consumption is very small and power cycling it can reduce its life-span.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I'm sure I read somewhere that the hub goes into energy saving mode when not in use.
      After spending a while trawling posts on here I remembered where I had read it - MySky :

Sky Hub – our best ever wireless broadband router

Thanks

Thanks, I was leaning towards leaving the modem on 24/7 but switching the router off like I do now.

Are there any issues or maintenance to consider if you do have to power the modem down?

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Scubbie has already mentioned the major issue to consider if you power down the modem, I am not aware of any others.

Thanks

For both the BTO Modem and the Sky Router you do not have the ability to adjust the way in which they connect to the Internet. When the Modem is on it dials the connection and maintains it. The Sky Hub has the log in details for it to connect to Sky's servers. This is automatically refreshed every 30 minutes or so.

I only got SFUP around 2 months ago so I was able to read what the others had experienced before coming to the conclusions that I have.

Basically so long as there are no issues it is best to leave the BTO Modem on all the time.

A couple had issues with power cuts. The direct consequences to them were a drop in speed once the power was back.

Like most other modern electrical devices, there is no requirement to open up the Modem or do anything inside it. Yes you can hack the Modem and install the original firmware. This allows you to see extra stats. Sadly mine is the version that is hard to hack so I haven't bothered.

Make sure that the Modem is located so that there is nothing draping over it and that the vents are unobstructed.

One version of the BTO Modem which has been replaced had overheated. It was directly linked to some house fires. The current versions are fine, but the advice remains to keep them well ventilated as a direct result.

As for the Sky Hub SR101, having been using it for around a year now, again this is fine to leave on 24/7 if you want. It runs cool most of the time. I managed to warm mine up a little when I really hammered it over a period of time with a lot of traffic.

Again I would keep the Sky Hub clear of anything draping over it though as a matter of good practise.
      chowgar likes this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

House fires that's reassuring!

My modem is in a cupboard but pretty well ventilated and stood on a slate placemat.

Overkill ? Surely not.

Thanks

Yep, BTO had to go around and replace all the original Modems for the new version which had been tested and wasn't a problem. I have no idea if anyone took them to court.

The best idea would be to mount the Modem on the wall. The holes on the ECI version are 10cm apart. Check with yours first. Also check that the screw heads are not too large as the holes underneath the BTO Modem are small.

With it mounted on the wall the air vents are correctly set up so that the heat gently rises up, keeping it cool.

Goooner1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bradwell Abbey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post

A couple had issues with power cuts. The direct consequences to them were a drop in speed once the power was back.
      I'm with BT infinity, rather than Sky, but presumably the actual modem is the same as BT Openreach supplied and fitted it, but it came with a rechargeable back up battery, which powers the modem in case of any power cuts, so I've not had any drops in connection in the year I've had it.

chowgar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSBAL
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post

One version of the BTO Modem which has been replaced had overheated. It was directly linked to some house fires. The current versions are fine, but the advice remains to keep them well ventilated as a direct result.

Could it be possible that when the power comes on again, and if the modem was still plugged in and socket was on, the initial surge of power could of affected this also?

Yikes! Hopefully my modem is the newer version. Better put a battery in my smoke alarm then...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast