Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky Fibre - Leave on or turn off?

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre - Leave on or turn off? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Goooner1 I'm with BT infinity, rather than Sky, but presumably the actual modem is the same as ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky Fibre - Leave on or turn off?

Quote Originally Posted by Goooner1 View Post
      I'm with BT infinity, rather than Sky, but presumably the actual modem is the same as BT Openreach supplied and fitted it, but it came with a rechargeable back up battery, which powers the modem in case of any power cuts, so I've not had any drops in connection in the year I've had it.
      It will be the same Modem. Sadly Sky's customers do not appear to be getting battery with them.

Quote Originally Posted by chowgar View Post
      Could it be possible that when the power comes on again, and if the modem was still plugged in and socket was on, the initial surge of power could of affected this also?

Yikes! Hopefully my modem is the newer version. Better put a battery in my smoke alarm then...
      As I said, those Modems were withdrawn. The customers who had them found that BTO replaced them all for free.

The Modems supplied now do not appear to have this issue, but the advice is to not block up the vents and to allow the Modem to be wall mounted in order to aid the cooling.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      It will be the same Modem. Sadly Sky's customers do not appear to be getting battery with them.

Nor to BT customers as far as I know, is it possible the user is one of the lucky few on an FTTP connection rather than FTTC, in which case if they're supplying the Telephony over the fibre the NTE will need backup power to provide 999 service in a power cut, which probably explains the battery.

They're not going to care if your broadband dies for a few hours.

toekneem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EASBF
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

They must be , because the fttc Openreach modem does not use batteries as a back up.

The Openreach fttp modem does use a battery back up, that is required to enable the phone connection in the case of a power cut, not for the operation of the modem.
      toekneem

Goooner1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bradwell Abbey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Thanks

Sky Fibre - Leave on or turn off?

That'll be it then, I am indeed on FTTP, which explains why not everyone is getting the battery backup then.

geoffwba is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Great Barr
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Recent energy saving advice given out on the BBC ( on The One Show) is to switch off your router at night but does it really make that much difference to your electricity bill? I can imagine some folk switching router and modems off and then having connection speed problems. I have always been led to believe it is better to leave both on permanently, which is what I do.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      I would think the cost saving would be minimal. I'm a believer in always leaving it on.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

albaT4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Station
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      I leave my sr102 on the whole time, no separate modem so switching off would be a bad idea

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goooner1 View Post
      I'm with BT infinity, rather than Sky, but presumably the actual modem is the same as BT Openreach supplied and fitted it, but it came with a rechargeable back up battery, which powers the modem in case of any power cuts, so I've not had any drops in connection in the year I've had it.
      Have you got FTTP because the modem supplied by Openreach for FTTC doesn't have a backup battery?

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geoffwba View Post
      Recent energy saving advice given out on the BBC ( on The One Show) is to switch off your router at night but does it really make that much difference to your electricity bill? I can imagine some folk switching router and modems off and then having connection speed problems. I have always been led to believe it is better to leave both on permanently, which is what I do.
      To Hell with that also a lot of smart devices do their update checks overnight.

Besides if my broadband is down for more than a few minutes it causes an alert to be sent to my email and to my mobile

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
      speedyrite likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Generally the advice is to leave your Sky router on 24/7.

For the router switching it on and off reguarly could damage the electrical components as the surge of electric over the cold components in the morning could damage them.

If you have left your WiFi channel setting to "auto" it will constantly be hunting for the cleanest channel where you live. By switching it off, this would be reset and totally wasted on you should the default channel be noisy and/or busy where you are.

As this is the Fibre section some may feel it irrelevant to mention ADSL but I will...

Sky's DLM software monitors the line 24/7 to get the best signal. Switch the router off every night will cause you problems as DLM resets the line during the early hours.

However with Fibre the problem can be worse. If you have an SR102 please leave it on 24/7 otherwise BTO's DLM will have a hissy fit and could heavily reduce your connection speed if you turn the router off frequently for long periods.

If you have the SR101 and Sky Fibre then you will have the BTO Modem. The BTO Modem should be left on 24/7 for the same reasons above.

I did see the article on the BBC about reducing costs. They mentioned that you could save as much as 50 by switch your router off. Perhaps someone who is qualified could answer this for us, but I suspect that this figure is a little too much myself.

Personally speaking I don't just want a broadband connection, I also want a fast broadband connection that is stable and constant. Switching off the router/Modem everynight IMHO will affect things in a negative manner and I pay more than 50 per year for the service.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12