Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Half speed fibre and rant No 2

This is a discussion on Half speed fibre and rant No 2 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey all, Joined the forum on recommendation from elsewhere, i have seen the previous thread but feel this is slightly ...

allesclar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01255
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Half speed fibre and rant No 2

Hey all,

Joined the forum on recommendation from elsewhere, i have seen the previous thread but feel this is slightly different.

I have a hunch on what the problem may be but I would like some opinions first.

We have the 40Mb fibre package, got the call from Sky saying we would be able to get speeds of 40Mb no problem. The router is reporting a connection speed of 40000 (dl) and upload of 10000 (ul).

The computer is directly connected to the Sky Hub router via wired ethernet. The Sky Hub is then connected to the open reach BT hub as required.

Now the speeds i am getting, be it downloading a large file or using speedtest.net is never faster than about 22~Mbps. Or around 2.2MB/s.

Pings are okish around the 5ms mark, upload speeds are around the 9.8MB/s.

It has been nearly 20 days, and i have spoken to them and they has tested the line at their end, i assume to their local exchange.

Now we live in a block of flats, 3 levels, 3 flats per level.

Am i right in thinking that its probably the flats poor copper wiring and telephone lines that is causing effectively a half speed download drop? Yet the upload speeds are as estimated.

When i spoke to sky they said it could be the switches in our flat but i am running gigabit Netgear switches and i know for a fact it cannot affect internet speeds THAT much.

My brother in law who lives in a house gets around 41.2 Mbps.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Adam

2. Advertisement
      jkhl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear Nighthawk R7000
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks
      Looks like the half speed issue. If it was your wiring that was at fault, it would be reflected in the sync speed. The fact you have full sync (40/10) suggests that your wirong/connection to your modem is good!

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Re: Half speed fibre and rant No 2

Quote Originally Posted by allesclar View Post

When i spoke to sky they said it could be the switches in our flat but i am running gigabit Netgear switches and i know for a fact it cannot affect internet speeds THAT much.

Actually a faulty switch *CAN* affect internet speeds THAT much, I had a 3COM were the capacitors and fans had failed and whilst it still powered up the symptom was it would start dropping packets on ports 1 - 8 once it got hot resulting in pathetic speeds of less than half a megabit.

It's unlikely that the switch is the culprit but it might be worth testing a machine connected directly to the router just to rule it out.

Usually when switches cause such a problem it tends to be a problem with port speed auto-negotiation rather than a faulty switch.

Also if you reboot the router does it still show 40 down 10 up as the speeds.

gamesaregood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Foxhall
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I would make sure your network card drivers are up-to-date as well as this can have an effect.

allesclar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01255
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      Actually a faulty switch *CAN* affect internet speeds THAT much, I had a 3COM were the capacitors and fans had failed and whilst it still powered up the symptom was it would start dropping packets on ports 1 - 8 once it got hot resulting in pathetic speeds of less than half a megabit.

It's unlikely that the switch is the culprit but it might be worth testing a machine connected directly to the router just to rule it out.

Usually when switches cause such a problem it tends to be a problem with port speed auto-negotiation rather than a faulty switch.

Also if you reboot the router does it still show 40 down 10 up as the speeds.
      Thanks Dragon,

I know i shouldnt generalise, but i tested it with the following:

8 port 100mb dlink switch, probably 10 years old speeds around 22Mbps
      5 port Netgear prosafe (brand new) speeds around 26Mbps
      another 5 port Netgear prosafe (brand new) speeds around 25Mbps
      Directly connected to Sky Hub speeds around 25Mbps
      Via powerline speeds around 23Mbps

I know each speed test has different potential variances on the results but i am sure its not a "network" issue on my side.

I have reset the router and the sync speeds are still 40 down and 10 up.

I am suspicious on the wiring downstream of the router due to me being able to get effectively full 10Mb upload but only half download.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jkhl View Post
      Looks like the half speed issue. If it was your wiring that was at fault, it would be reflected in the sync speed. The fact you have full sync (40/10) suggests that your wirong/connection to your modem is good!

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk
      Thanks jkhl,

Thats exactly what i thought, but they kept saying to me they had got rid of the half speed issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gamesaregood View Post
      I would make sure your network card drivers are up-to-date as well as this can have an effect.
      Thanks gamesare good.

I did think of that but to be honest its a rare event that i have ever had to update or modify my NIC drivers. I did test from a gigabit NIC from both a laptop and 4 off my server which are HP dual gigabit cards.

When i run network benchmarks over the house i get around 700Mbps from server to laptop as a generic test.

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Which server are you using on speedtest? Sky recommend using London's Namesco or Structured Communications.

You could always try using JD's Auto Speed Tester as this does not rely on a browser/plug-in to work.