Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Broadband (Fibre) Master Faceplate -> Sky Hub Connectivity Clarification

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband (Fibre) Master Faceplate -> Sky Hub Connectivity Clarification within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I've just signed up for the new Fibre service with Sky. I currently have broadband unlimited with one of ...

bazza2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sky Broadband (Fibre) Master Faceplate -> Sky Hub Connectivity Clarification

Hi,

I've just signed up for the new Fibre service with Sky. I currently have broadband unlimited with one of the XTE-2005 Master faceplates. I have a CAT5e cable running down the wall to my XTE2005 which terminates inside the XTE on the ADSL terminals. The other end of the CAT5e is then routed around the house to the back room where my current ADSL Sky router is situated. I have an RJ11 terminate plug on the end which goes directly into the back of the router. Pretty simple setup and it took my DL speeds from 6Mb/s to 12Mb/s so I've been pretty happy.
      However, the 40Mb/s is a bit too much of a lure so I'm commited for 12 months now.

I'd like to have the BT Openreach modem and the Sky Router in the back room as I have it now. I understand that my XTE will be replaced with a flashy new FTTC BT branded faceplate, but what I don't know is, would I still be able to use the CAT5e cable terminated inside the new faceplate? i.e. is it still just 2 wire connectivity? I have the usual reasons, no power or storage in the hall where the master socket is located

I understand that there are limitations of the distance between the master socket and the BT Modem, but given I'm using CAT5e would this really cause too much of an issue. The length of the CAT5 is approx 20meters.

In addition, would the pinout for the rj11 I'm currently using for my current setup be the same for the BT modem?

Thanks,

Barry.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: Sky Broadband (Fibre) Master Faceplate -> Sky Hub Connectivity Clarification

Hello bazza2000,

The BTO Engineer will need to change your XTE2005 faceplate for a VDSL filtered faceplate. In doing this he/she will also need to also fit the original faceplate onto the VDSL faceplate that you had on your NTE5 socket.

As for the where you have the Modem and the router, this is entirely up to you. The BTO Modem just needs to have its own power source and preferably be wall mounted. He could make use of your Cat 5e cable or fit one him/herself if you really prefer it to be placed in your backroom.

Of interest to you is the fact that the link between the BTO Modem and the Sky Hub SR101 is just an Ethernet cable. You could run any Cat 5 or Cat 5e (preferable) network cable up to a length of 100m if required.

It is important to leave the BTO Modem on all the time. You can power off the router if you want.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband (Fibre) Master Faceplate -> Sky Hub Connectivity Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Hello bazza2000,

The BTO Engineer will need to change your XTE2005 faceplate for a VDSL filtered faceplate. In doing this he/she will also need to also fit the original faceplate onto the VDSL faceplate that you had on your NTE5 socket.

As for the where you have the Modem and the router, this is entirely up to you. The BTO Modem just needs to have its own power source and preferably be wall mounted. He could make use of your Cat 5e cable or fit one him/herself if you really prefer it to be placed in your backroom.

Of interest to you is the fact that the link between the BTO Modem and the Sky Hub SR101 is just an Ethernet cable. You could run any Cat 5 or Cat 5e (preferable) network cable up to a length of 100m if required.

It is important to leave the BTO Modem on all the time. You can power off the router if you want.
      Just what I needed, thanks for that. I always leave all routers, hubs etc on anyway, so no problems with that

Ta.

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bazza2000 View Post
      I understand that my XTE will be replaced with a flashy new FTTC BT branded faceplate, but what I don't know is, would I still be able to use the CAT5e cable terminated inside the new faceplate? i.e. is it still just 2 wire connectivity? I have the usual reasons, no power or storage in the hall where the master socket is located
      The VDSL interstitial filter does have the equivalent unfiltered IDC terminals that the XTE has.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simon194 View Post
      The VDSL interstitial filter does have the equivalent unfiltered IDC terminals that the XTE has.
      Great, thanks. So I should be ok with my current setup and have the BTO modem approx 20-30 metres from the master socket connected via the CAT5?

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It will need the plug on the cat 5e cable changed from RJ11 to RJ45 but the BTO engineer should realise this.

Please ignore as I was thinking that the cat 5E was going to run between the modem and the Sky hub.
      Last edited by seawright; 18-06-13 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Added please ignore.