Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Have to Thank Sky

This is a discussion on Have to Thank Sky within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So i was getting 74 meg and i had a few power cuts last saturday and my speed drop to ...

Brutos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Clapton/Hackney
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet
      Router: Billion 7800n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Have to say Thanks To Sky

So i was getting 74 meg and i had a few power cuts last saturday and my speed drop to 40meg. Called Sky on Tuesday and by Wednesday i have an engineer book for Saturday. He just left as my speed is back in to 74 meg sync at 78meg. SEE SIG

Fantastic service just want to commend them as I see sky and openreach get a few bashing around the forum.

Keep it up
      jrfer, Scubbie, Paul2003 and 1 others like this.
      Senior VoIP Engineer
      SSCA Certified
      Cisco R&S Certified.

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Have to Thank Sky

Maybe one day router & modem manufacturers will be able to implement some tech that differentiates between line faults & power cuts.

Brutos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Clapton/Hackney
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet
      Router: Billion 7800n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Maybe one day router & modem manufacturers will be able to implement some tech that differentiates between line faults & power cuts.
      I hope so as it should be able to recognise when the modem loses power as opposed to when the line actually has a fault
      Senior VoIP Engineer
      SSCA Certified
      Cisco R&S Certified.

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

The modem does apparently does send out a signal if it loses power but whether the MSAN actually responds to it has been a topic of discussion on the TBB forums.

Johnelf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ewell
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub 4
      Thanks

If you have BT FTTP you get a battery backup box for the modem.
      I wonder if that would be a good idea to get one anyway?
      Would it serve a purpose ?
      john

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

With FTTP the eventual intention is to remove the copper cable completely, telephony being provided using IP. In this situation a local battery is required to enable emergency calls to be made when mains power fails. They say that history repeats itself 50+ years ago local batteries were common place on long lines connected to manual exchanges where the central battery at the exchange could not supply sufficient current to energise the telephone transmitter. I wonder if the demise of copper cables will remove the requirement for telephone line rental?

Mystic Eddy is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      With FTTP the eventual intention is to remove the copper cable completely, telephony being provided using IP. In this situation a local battery is required to enable emergency calls to be made when mains power fails. They say that history repeats itself 50+ years ago local batteries were common place on long lines connected to manual exchanges where the central battery at the exchange could not supply sufficient current to energise the telephone transmitter. I wonder if the demise of copper cables will remove the requirement for telephone line rental?
      Why telephone line rental cease with the introduction of FTTP? The investment to install that across the network would be huge so it's safe to say line rental is here to stay whether that's integrated into product prices or separately as it is now.
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

Thanks

The service provider for IP telephony isn't necessarily the same provider as your ISP. With unlimited internet access it is easier to compare prices if the headline price is the actual price you pay instead of having to factor in additional line rental charges. If your phone provider does not have to supply or be responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of any hardware (other than their servers) why should there be a standing charge. Mobile phone providers have a network to maintain yet they manage to provide "Pay As You Go" services without any standing charge.

Mystic Eddy is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Thanks

Look at the majority of ISPs today. They make you take line rental with them if you want their service. The ones that don't generally charge more. The line rental helps subsidise the broadband headline price, so it looks cheaper than it is. The reason mobile operators can provide PAYG services is because they have a large number of contract customers bringing in guaranteed income. If the price you pay for internet access was just to cover costs of the ISP kit, where will the money come from to maintain the link (FTTP/C/copper/other) between you and them? It sounds like you wanted a naked DSL option, which wouldn't be much cheaper than now I'd imagine.
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

Thanks

What I am saying is that presently some of the charges for telephony are being used to subsidise Broadband which makes it exceedingly difficult to compare prices for broadband services. ADSL service providers rightly argue that line rental is a factor in the service they provide. With FTTP (without additional copper) they can no longer use this argument which would hopefully enable providers to separate the cost of individual services which would lead to greater transparency and allow potential customers to make a more informed choice. I realise that there will always be savings to be had by taking multiple services from the same supplier just as there are with dual fuel deals from energy suppliers but to take the analogy further would it be right to artificially inflate gas prices to keep electricity prices low? This is what telecommunication providers are currently doing with telephony and broadband.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast