Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree4Likes

Have to Thank Sky

This is a discussion on Have to Thank Sky within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; What difference does it make if it's FTTP or copper though? That link still has to be maintained. Yes, the ...

Mystic Eddy is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Have to Thank Sky

What difference does it make if it's FTTP or copper though? That link still has to be maintained. Yes, the need for maintenance should decrease with FTTP, but some form of line rental would still be payable either way.
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's what I was thinking. In fact if you are on FTTC you are actaully using 2 lines, one fibre for the broadband and one copper for the voice line, so the maintenance cost would be higher. At the moment the cost of maintaining the fibre line must be included in the broadband cost.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's what I was thinking. In fact if you are on FTTC you are actaully using 2 lines, one fibre for the broadband and one copper for the voice line, so the maintenance cost would be higher.
      My point entirely.
      At the moment the cost of maintaining the fibre line must be included in the broadband cost.
      This is correct as the purpose of the fibre is to provide broadband. With FTTP the cost of maintaining the fibre line should also be included in the broadband cost additionally there is no requirement for copper. If a customer wants a telephone service then while ever copper is required/provided then I can understand a charge for line rental being levied. When the telephone service changes to IP then it should be sold in a similar method to mobile telephone services with customers being given a choice of paying for calls as they are made or paying a standing charge which includes calls or provides them at a lower cost than PAYG.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

With any copper based telephone system, there is a requirement to have a power supply in the telephone exchange.

What perhaps isn't so well known is that there are backup generators and large batteries in the telephone exchanges to help should there be a major power outage in an area. This means that the telephone line should always work. It is also an important reason why it is recommended that you should always have a corded telephone in case you have a power cut.

There is always an electrical current in the copper telephone cable. It changes between AC and DC also in voltages in order to have the telephone in standby and in cause it to ring or be in 'talk' mode.

Now I understand the seawright is suggesting that the Line Rental could be dropped when everyone moves across to FTTP as the power to drive the copper cable can be supplied locally.

However there is other kit in the telephone exchange which will need to be powered, so whilst the electrical bill will drop, it will not entirely switched off.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

My point is that there are people who use Skype or mobiles and do not want a fixed line telephone service. With ADSL and FTTC you are forced to have a fixed line as this is the medium over which broadband services are supplied. With the advent of FTTP this is no longer the case and the opportunity should be taken to separate the charges for the two services instead of appearing to offer cheap broadband which is being subsidised by a component of the charge for telephony. I have no objection to reducing charges where a supplier is providing more than one service my gripe is where broadband is being sold as a loss leader.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12