Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What is "Standard" on a fibre install

This is a discussion on What is "Standard" on a fibre install within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've just been reading about self installs and it looks like they may make use of filters instead of a ...

Statia is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: What is "Standard" on a fibre install

I've just been reading about self installs and it looks like they may make use of filters instead of a proper VDSL faceplate. This could be detrimental to the attainable speeds though, apparently. I'd rather pay the fifty quid install fee and have the max attainable speed for my line etc. I am trying to hang on to wait for the combined router/modem in one to go live. I'd rather not have two units when I can have one.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

There are many sides to this argument.

I have previously mentioned on this forum that I personally think that self-installs are a bad thing too. Too many people are using their ADSL & ADSL2+ routers on cheap telephone extensions and then grumble about their poor speeds. FTTC (aka VDSL) is far more likely to provide poor performance when connected in this manner.

Not everyone has an NTE5 master socket and many have their extensions wired up in a manner which is not good for Fibre too (i.e. star wiring where each socket is taken from a BTO Junction box, not off the Master socket).

The VDSL Filtered Faceplate is currently the best option for filtering the FTTC signal. run-IT-direct stocks this and will be checking out an alternative for themselves too.

Whilst there are many people who may know what they are doing, there are as many who think that they know what they are doing too. This will lead to many more problems.

I guess this forum will become very busy if Sky does introduce this.

As for a all-in-one router, again I have reservations on this.

Too many members like to use their own routers. It is a very popular topic with huge numbers of options, threads and much more on this forum alone. Currently the best way to gain access to the log in details from the SR101 is to use Wireshark. This requires the Ethernet connection to pick up the details as they are sent to log in to Sky's servers. If these are sent directly through a built-in VDSL Modem I guess that someone had better start working on decrypting the details via some other method ASAP.

Also without the BTO Modem, people will need to purchase their own (plenty on eBay already). There may also be the penalty that people get when they power cycle the BTO Modem. This results in a major speed loss for up to 10 days. This may happen when the firmware is updated.

Anyone out there updated the settings on their Sky router? Did you note that when changing some settings it requires the router to be rebooted? I guess that the same issue might present it self.

This would be made easier if there is a "Modem Only Mode", but I am not sure if Sky will like that option. It would resolve many of the possible issues though.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I wonder whether a 'self-install' could be performed by a Sky engineer rather than OR or the end user? There may be scope for Sky to the straightforward installs rather than paying OR to do them. There'll also be the confidence that he end user has not messed up the connection.

I wonder, could a self-install be selected if a user is moving fibre provider, as they would have had all the equipment installed previously?

tommy45 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCSOU
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      I wonder whether a 'self-install' could be performed by a Sky engineer rather than OR or the end user? There may be scope for Sky to the straightforward installs rather than paying OR to do them. There'll also be the confidence that he end user has not messed up the connection.

I wonder, could a self-install be selected if a user is moving fibre provider, as they would have had all the equipment installed previously?
      The Self install option will or should be , The ISP supply the filtered faceplate,and a modem or modem/router , and the customer installs them, But in situations where the master socket is outdated or needs to be re located, the managed BT openreach install should still be offered , possibly the same where a Data extension kit is required ,
      I don't see how having a Sky engineer perform a self install would be to anyone's advantage as it's a straight forward task, to unscrew the existing face plate ,then fit the filtered vdsl faceplate and finally replace the lower faceplate, unbox /wrap the BT Modem plug it in to the mains, connect the ADSL rj11 supplied cable to the filtered (top) face plate and the other end to the modem, switch it on,wait for a sync, job done,

That's all the BTOR engineer did at my mates house,following doing the re -jumpering at the PCP ,

He said that he didn't have a drill to fix the modem to the wall, or have the data extension kit that they had ordered, the modem got a sync he left,no line tests/checks and he wouldn't move the master socket, he told my mate that it was not part of the install ?

But fitting a faceplate into your existing NTE 5 and connecting a modem should not represent any real problems for most

There would be no need for self or managed install when migrating from one FTTC service to another as all (unless Sky & tt ) want to be silly use the same modems as supplied by BT openreach
      Last edited by tommy45; 29-05-13 at 05:10 PM.
      <a href=http://www.speedtest.net/result/754463629.png target=_blank>http://www.speedtest.net/result/754463629.png</a>

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommy45 View Post
      But fitting a faceplate into your existing NTE 5 and connecting a modem should not represent any real problems for most
      This is where the problem lies.

As I mentioned earlier, not everyone has an NTE5 socket.

Many members have XNTE sockets. Even more have masters sockets without split faceplates.

My current advice has been for people to install a VDSL Filtered faceplate when possible as it removed the possibility of wires 3/4 (Ring Wire is 3, 4 is not always connected) from causing interference. It also means that people get the best filtration.

Prior to this faceplate becoming available everyone was advised to use an ADSL faceplate which required the use of a crimping tool for any internal extensions.

From what I've read self-installations are supplied with microfilters which are similar to the ADSL microfilters. The intention would be for each extension to have these filters installed once more.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12