Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky Fibre = Wiring mess?

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre = Wiring mess? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by os40 Yep. Will purchase 'outdoor grade' CAT6. Good Originally Posted by os40 Just a question - with ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: Sky Fibre = Wiring mess?

Quote Originally Posted by os40 View Post
      Yep. Will purchase 'outdoor grade' CAT6.
      Good

Just a question - with this 50M cable, will I experience a decreased internet connection speed?
      The connection speed is determined between the link from the cabinet to your Modem. With ADSL the Modem is built-in to the router. For Fibre you have the BTO Modem.

Ethernet cable with retain the connection speed (Cat 5=up to 100mb, Cat 5e=1Gbit, Cat 6= up to 10Gbit) for a distance of up to 100m provided that there are no sharp bends in the cable.

You should have no problems with a 50m connection.

Just ensure that where the cable is to go around corners that you allow it to gently go around the, not tightly tacked in place. I would also be tempted to place the cable in some trunking too, just to tidy it up, but with the correct outdoor cable, this isn't so crucial.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

2. Advertisement
      Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Cat 5 is capable of gigabit upto around 97 metres so they tweaked the standard to reach 100 with cat5e
      watch out for cca (copper coated aluminum cables they are junk) and nearly all cables are cca on ebay
      and you wouldnt want to use them as anything more than a patch cable certainly not on a long run

If you stick to a branded 50m cable like belkin from e-bay you can check its specs in detail at the belkin site to ensure its solid copper

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Going off topic a little here, but whilst the wiring of Cat 5 may support 1Gbit, it tends to only come with 2 pairs. Routers, PCs and Switches will only support 1Gbit when 4 pairs are in use (i.e. Cat 5e or Cat6).

I have heard that the Ethernet cables will actually support their stated speeds for much more than 150m. However the official spec is for 100m so this is what I quote.

As for the advice about cheap cables, totally agree here. Whilst branded cables are nice, they can be that little bit extra. Also since the RJ45 connectors are IDC, any Ethernet cable that is made from braided wire is unsuitable.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

os40 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Windsor Exchange
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

M@rk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: PFsense
      Thanks

that cable will be fine mate. when i did my outside connections i purchased a reel of outdoor cable and crimped the ends myself, saves damaging the plug when passing it through the wall and also means a smaller hole to drill.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Going off topic a little here, but whilst the wiring of Cat 5 may support 1Gbit, it tends to only come with 2 pairs. Routers, PCs and Switches will only support 1Gbit when 4 pairs are in use (i.e. Cat 5e or Cat6).

I have heard that the Ethernet cables will actually support their stated speeds for much more than 150m. However the official spec is for 100m so this is what I quote.

As for the advice about cheap cables, totally agree here. Whilst branded cables are nice, they can be that little bit extra. Also since the RJ45 connectors are IDC, any Ethernet cable that is made from braided wire is unsuitable.
      It wouldn't be CAT5 if only 2 pair CAT5 & CAT5e is always 4 pair. Packet loss WILL happen over around 120m, you probably wouldn't notice but a proper test will fail the run (the official spec is 90m for what is called the horizontal run which allows for 2 x 5m patch cables at each end). Note that there are RJ45 connectors for both solid & stranded cable too.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12