Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless connection keeps dropping, need advice pls

This is a discussion on Wireless connection keeps dropping, need advice pls within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; We had Sky fiber installed on Wednesday and went with the 40/10 to see what the service was like, so ...

tone82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Wireless connection keeps dropping, need advice pls

We had Sky fiber installed on Wednesday and went with the 40/10 to see what the service was like, so far we're extremely happy with the speed. I've gotta say though, the SR101 hubs wireless capabilities are shocking. Wired and wireless in the same room as the hub everyone gets a consistent 38 to 39Mbps, and 9 Mbps up, so no complaints at all. My problem is with a wireless desktop connection in an upstairs room, this one is very strange. A speed test up there can range from low twenties up to low thirties, it's all over the place. Upload is always plus 9 like downstairs, but weirdly, on a few torrent downloads the desktop has performed at a constant 4.1 sometimes 4.2Mb/s which is slightly more that the listed 39999 on my router status.

This is great and I'm not complaining, but a connection issue is really starting to do my head in. Almost anytime I start a torrent, regardless of speed the connection will drop out at some point. My internet signal is replaced with a yellow triangle over the 5 bars, the windows diagnostic returns with problems found - The connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the internet is broken - detected

The default gateway is not available - fixed

I'm on the best channel according to InSSIDer 3, I've tried turning off UPnP with no joy. When it drops there's no change with the router, all lights still on and working fine.

Can anyone shed some light on how to fix this, or something else I can try please. Wireless is my only option for that room at the moment so I need to fix it. Thanks in advance....

P.S This problem has occurred twice with no torrent client in use, it's not just restricted to that.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Wireless connection keeps dropping, need advice pls

How strong is the WiFi signal for the desktop?

Is the WiFi for the desktop through a USB dongle or an internal card?

If there are walls between the router and the PC the signal will drop. You may find that you can move the router a little to improve things or you may need to move the PC. If its WiFi is a USB dongle, consider placing it on a USB extension lead an placing it in a better position.

inSSIDer would be great for this task.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

jrfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Have you considered powerline adapters?

Powerline Adapters - Ethernet Ports & Adaptors | Ebuyer.com

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Wifi signal is excellant, I have 99% signal strength and 100% link quality according the dongle interface. I'm using an edimax adapter with an extension cord built in to it's stand. There's a ceiling/floor between the two so I can understand slowdown, but a complete dropout every 5 to 10 minutes ?

Jrfer, a powerline adapter isn't an option for me at the moment due to lack of sockets in the room and the ones in use using surge protectors

RUNITDIRECT is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Is hard wiring not an option? External CAT5e can usually be done very easily around the home..........
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

There are many things which can mess up the WiFi signal. Many devices share the same signal range and inSSIDer won't show these devices.

It might be a good idea to consider changing the channel manually to see if another does actually work better. Try to stick with either 1, 6, 11 or 13.

As for the HomePlug/Powerline option, some come with 'passthrough' sockets specifically so that where you are short of sockets, you can still use them. Do consider either the 500mb or 200mb ones though.

A better way would be to look at getting an Ethernet cable, but I appreciate that this is not always possible, hence the popularity of WiFi and Homeplugs.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks again ppl. I'll try messing with the channels and see how I get on, if that fails I'll have to look at hardwiring or the homeplug passthrough option because this is unuseable. If I plugged an adapter directly in to the socket and ran a surge protector out of it, would it still screw with the plugs signal or speed throughput Scubbie ?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

There is a couple of things you can try to improve the signal upstairs. First try laying the router on flat instead of on end. Fashion a tray out of kitchen foil and place this under the router.

If your adapter is on a cable you could also try using a 'windsurfer' antenna booster. These might seem a bit 'Blue Peterish' but they do work.
      This one of the many articles on building one - How to build your own Windsurfer Antenna | RC Helimenace

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I grew up on Blue Peter mate worth a bash, cheers

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

There is also a way to amplify the signal using a Pringles can or even a beer can, This will give you an idea. -http://www.wikihow.com/Increase-the-Range-of-Your-Wifi

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast