Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fibre & Master Socket - Options/Help!

This is a discussion on Fibre & Master Socket - Options/Help! within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; A little bit of background. Recently moved and have the following set up: 1. Underground phone line surfaces to the ...

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Fibre & Master Socket - Options/Help!

A little bit of background. Recently moved and have the following set up:

1. Underground phone line surfaces to the side of the house and in to a junction box (grey box).
      2. Phone line out of the grey box running externally around the house then under the front door to the hall.
      3. Cable runs to a master 'socket' - however there is no socket, the lower half is a blank plate.
      4. Two wires run out the bottom of the master to extensions in the house
      5. One extension is in the dining room. As there is no power nearby, I've had to use a phone extension reel to take the line from the extension socket to where I can place my phone and router, about 12 feet away.

Not only am a far from the exchange, but the following set up is not good for my ADSL connection - so I need fibre.

As there is no power near the 'master' in the hall and nowhere to place the modem (front door opens on to the wall), the sensible approach is to move the master socket. The external junction box is on the lounge wall and there's a double power socket close by. In my old 'new build' house, BT had drilled through the wall and placed the master socket there - and this is essentially what I want to re-create, however after a protracted conversation with the fibre team they have said:

1. The BTO engineer won't do this as part of a fibre installation.
      2. Sky have no way of requesting this to BTO
      3. If I did want to relocate the master socket in the lounge, then I'd have to leave Sky and go through BT retail as they're the only ones who can request this!

Help! I can't think for a minute that my phone line provider (Sky) can't request this - it's not like I can phone up someone in the yellow pages and move the master socket.

Whilst this is not a straightforward fibre installation, I don't think I'm asking for a great feat of engineering?

Any advice/help would be gratefully received

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Fibre & Master Socket - Options/Help!

What you have is an NTE5B as the first socket. If I'm understanding correctly the external line (grey box) is right next to where you actually want your master socket? In which case just fit your own NTE5, we have Openreach branded ones available. Then, the cable that currently feeds your NTE5B will need re-connecting to the new NTE5 so as to not cause problems with ADSL. Easy to do & saves all the hassle, that cable obviously won't be long enough so you will need to gel crimp some CW1308 cable to it to extend to reach the new NTE5. You'll need some CW1308 anyway to connect the new master to the external cable. I'm not familiar with Sky fibre so I don't know if what they've told you is 100% correct.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Am I able to do this? I was under the impression that everything up the the faceplate of the master was the responsibility of BTO.

From what you're saying, I'd need to:

1. Drill through the wall next to the grey junction box and in to the lounge
      2. Connect some CW1308 cable to the external cable (in the grey box) and pass through the wall to the lounge, connecting this to a new NTE5 socket
      3. Attach a second CW1308 cable to the extension terminals on the new NTE5, back though the wall and crimp together with the cable running around the outside of the house to keep the current set up active.

Exchange:
      Thanks

That's correct, the official line is as you say. However we (& indeed customers) have spoken to BT's call center in India where you are told something completely different! Reality, despite some stories on the Internet I have NEVER heard of anyone having any grief what so ever from a BTO engineer over fitting thier own NTE5. Indeed using parts from us no one would ever know anyway. RE: the wiring, 100% correct, easy 10-15 minute job

Thanks

Have you got 15 minutes?

My DIY skills are legendary, but not for the right reasons - do you think a phone engineer or similar would be prepared to do the work? I'm trying to save the, "why is there no dial tone?", "why don't the sockets work?" etc. conversations!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Can you wire a plug? If you can you can do this, all you need is :-

10M of CW1308 cable
      Openreach NTE5 (comes with wiring instructions!)
      Pack of Jelly crimps (smallest pack we have is 20)
      IDC tool

You will see the existing cable in the junction box, it is probably gel crimped now to the incoming BT cable. You would disconnect that & crimp the blue pair of the new CW1308 cable to the BT cable, then just terminate the other end to A & B on the new NTE5. Check for dial tone and that is it! Then just gel crimp another length of CW1308 to the old cable that feeds your NTE5B, the other end of that connects to 2 & 5 on the new NTE5. Job done.

Thanks

Re-wire a plug? They're all molded now! But yes, I have managed to re-wire a plug.

I've searched on this forum and a number of people have reported BTO being quite accommodating with re-locating master sockets and can't quite understand why Sky claim never to have had this request.

Thanks

I'm assuming I'm going to need a big ol' drill bit. 400mm long should be enough, but in terms of diameter, will a 12mm be enough to accommodate both sets of wires?

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

Just a quick question: you mention that there are currently 2 extensions, but you don't specify their uses fully. One in the dining room that you use an extension on to your router, is anything else on this one? Is there anything at all on the other extension?
      If nothing else is connected, you could just remove the existing internal wiring and re-use the existing bt cable to feed through the wall into the lounge, re-siting the master wherever you want. Btw, this is what I did!
      The only possible issue you may have with the other solution is having 2 master sockets, which I've been led to believe was not good...

Exchange:
      Thanks

12mm will be more than big enough! Re: 2 master sockets, it doesn't cause any problems with the line.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast