Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sky Fibre VDSL Faceplate question

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre VDSL Faceplate question within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I will be having sky fibre installed soon and wanted to know if the Btmu engineer will replace my ...

sush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Fibre VDSL Faceplate question

Hi, I will be having sky fibre installed soon and wanted to know if the Btmu engineer will replace my current adsl nation 2005 faceplate?

If yes will he re connect my extensions which are currently wired to the back of this adsl nation face plate?

Also would the engineer drill through a wall to extend the rj11 cable for modem to outside wall then up to another floor level?

2. Advertisement
      mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre VDSL Faceplate question

Yes, the VDSL plate will replace your current filtered faceplate and I believe that the engineer will connect up the extension wires on the master socket.

The modem is installed wherever your master socket is, so won't go back outside etc. I think there is scope for connecting the modem to the router by way of a data extension kit, but not sure (doubt) they will drill holes outside and run the cat5 externally.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Is it mandatory to have it replaced or can it be tested first for sync, speeded etc?
      XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      Yes, the VDSL plate will replace your current filtered faceplate and I believe that the engineer will connect up the extension wires on the master socket.

The modem is installed wherever your master socket is, so won't go back outside etc. I think there is scope for connecting the modem to the router by way of a data extension kit, but not sure (doubt) they will drill holes outside and run the cat5 externally.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

The VDSL Filtered faceplate is better than all the filtered faceplates designed for when ADSL2+ was around.

Personally I tend to suggest that people purchase the new VDSL filtered faceplate for their ADSL connections as it can pull in a few more kbps by comparison.

I removed my own ADSL v1 filtered faceplate once my ADSL connection died (it was disconnected prior to Fibre being installed). If you have a punch you could easily connect your extensions to the standard faceplate prior to the BTO Engineer arriving, but don't worry if you don't.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Scubbie so to confirm if the engineer decides to replace my adsl2 faceplate he will reconnect my extensions to the we faceplate?

Not clear on what you suggested regarding a standard faceplate as surely this would be taken off by the bro engineer and replaced with the VDSL plate so the extensions would have to be re punched?

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The VDSL Filtered faceplate is better than all the filtered faceplates designed for when ADSL2+ was around.

Personally I tend to suggest that people purchase the new VDSL filtered faceplate for their ADSL connections as it can pull in a few more kbps by comparison.

I removed my own ADSL v1 filtered faceplate once my ADSL connection died (it was disconnected prior to Fibre being installed). If you have a punch you could easily connect your extensions to the standard faceplate prior to the BTO Engineer arriving, but don't worry if you don't.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sush View Post
      Not clear on what you suggested regarding a standard faceplate as surely this would be taken off by the bro engineer and replaced with the VDSL plate so the extensions would have to be re punched?
      True, but if the extensions are disconnected then the engineer may not reconnect them when he fits the VDSL faceplate. If I remember correctly the VDSL faceplate is sandwiched between the backing box and the NTE5 front cover.

See this article: http://phil.lavin.me.uk/2012/02/bts-...sl2-explained/
      Last edited by seawright; 09-05-13 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Added link

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      True, but if the extensions are disconnected then the engineer may not reconnect them when he fits the VDSL faceplate. If I remember correctly the VDSL faceplate is sandwiched between the backing box and the NTE5 front cover.

See this article: BT’s UK FTTC (VDSL2/Infinity) Explained
      I am hoping that my existing xte-2005 adsl plate can remain for vdsl as I understand the vdsl plate does the se job of filtering frequencies from normal telephone signal.

If it is to be replaced could someone confirm as my extensions are wired to the back of my xte-2005 that when the engineer visits and if decides it should be replaced that he will re punch the extensions into the bottom half of a nt5 faceplate. The reason being the xte-2005 faceplate won't fit ontop of the vdsl plate?

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

As Scubbie said above, the VDSL plate does a better job of filtering and I'm not sure your ADSL Nation plate will be good enough for fibre (check your own link - there is no mention that the plate is compatible with VDSL). If you have your original NTE5 faceplate, you could re-fit this the day before the engineer arrives, but I'm sure s/he will do this job before you. The VDSL plate sandwiches between the recessed box and the NTE5 faceplate and doesn't need to be wired in - as seawright mentions.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Why did you purchase the XTE-2005 faceplate? I suspect that because at the time it was one of the better filtered faceplates. It was an improvement above the microfilters that all the ISPs supplied and also isolated your hard wired extensions. The result was an improved connection speed.

Did you know that over time the components become worn out and the performance of your XTE-2005 will now not be as good as when you first installed it?

Did you know that VDSL uses higher frequencies than ADSL, ADSL2 and ADSL2+? Your XTE-2005 filtered faceplate will not have been designed for these.

Ultimately I personally have not performed detailed research on this topic. I don't have the funding nor access to a range of properties to allow me to carry out such a study. I go on the reports which I have read about on this forum and others and also I listen to Dave from run-IT-direct who sells this product. His customers have spoken to him after purchasing it and they have been very happy with the VDSL filtered faceplate.

I also looked at why BTO developed this filtered faceplate and use it instead of the i-Plate, which they developed, and the other filtered faceplates, some of which they used on ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ connections.

If you wish to ignore all the advice we are providing, please feel free to do so. Ultimately I currently have an 80/20 connection and am very happy with it. As I am not using your connection so won't be worried whether it works well or not.

Of course it could well be that you are very close to the Fibre cabinet and that you to will be able to achieve the maximum connection speed with a microfilter.

Remember though, BTO are technically now responsible, through Sky in my specific case, for the telephone line from the telephone exchange to the cabinet, on to my home to the Master Socket, including the VDSL plate. They are also responsible for the Fibre connection, again through Sky in my case, all the way to the filtered faceplate, then through the data lead on to and including the BTO Modem.

If I have a problem with my broadband now then any call out will include cost of replacing or repairing anything all the way from the BTO Modem to the telephone exchange.

Previously the line of responsibility ended at my Test Socket.

Would you like to sign a waiver to acknowledge that Sky/BTO will not be responsible for your filtered faceplate and their Modem?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

As above, the VDSL faceplate does not replace the lower front half of the NTE5, it's an interstitial faceplate(which is where iplate comes from!). All the engineer would need to do is fit a lower front of the NTE5 & fit the extension wiring to this. The VDSL plate has two IDC connections on it, these are for UNFILTERED connections. The XTE2005 is not designed for VDSL, the manufacturer of that plate has a new VDSL2 faceplate available, we have them under evaluation & may offer them in the future. At the moment though we just have the Openreach product, expensive but the best faceplate available, even for ADSL services.

We hope to move to an area that offers Infinity 2 in the near future, when we do we will probably run some tests so all can see which is the best faceplate to have!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast