Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

joke..............

This is a discussion on joke.............. within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; just had my fibre optic installed today and all my worst fears have come true. this morning i had 10 ...

andykate is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: crossgates,leeds
      Broadband ISP: o2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

joke..............

just had my fibre optic installed today and all my worst fears have come true.
      this morning i had 10 mb dl and 1.3mb ul on o2

on my NEW fibre line ive got 16mb dl and 0.3 mb ul............thought the upload was low so i rang to ask and im now on hold after just been told my line can only get 0.5 mb ul max.......
      apparently i shouldnt of been told that my line can get 20/5 as it cant................even though when i check with bt or plusnet they all say i can get those speeds.
      i understand it can be a bit lower than estimated but theres a bit of a difference between 5 mb ul and o.5mb.
      so now im on hold trying to cancel.............

to say im fuming is an understatement
      KEEP ON KEEPING ON
      checking punctuation

2. Advertisement
      mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: joke..............

Have you managed to speak with someone in the fibre team? If all of the checkers are saying you should have better connection speeds, then there must be an issue somewhere. Couple of things to consider:

1. Are you looking at your connection stats on the router or basing this on a speed test?
      2. There also a training period for fibre so it may have started low (although this seems very low)
      3. did the BTO engineer do all of the line tests etc. Did he/she say what the line was connecting at?

Thanks

it was a subcontractor,not openreach but i dont know what he checked.i needed to get back to work.i expected problems but to get only 0.3 mb upload is a joke.
      spoken to the fibre team and my line can definatly only hold 0.5mb and i must be mistaken that my line was a rock solid 1.3 mb ul with o2 for over 2 years,must of been a faulty router
      although the lady at customer services was nice,she just kept waffling absolute rubbish.
      so know im looking at plusnet and another 100 odd quid to spend and no doubt the 122 i paid to sky will be refunded with all kind of deductions.................
      this one is defo getting reported to ofcom,ive got 2 recorded conversations,one from the sales lady and one from the fibre team and its like listening to the chuckle brothers.
      pure contradictions
      0.5 mb ul on fibre optic my ****
      KEEP ON KEEPING ON
      checking punctuation

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andykate View Post
      it was a subcontractor,not openreach but i dont know what he checked.i needed to get back to work.i expected problems but to get only 0.3 mb upload is a joke.
      spoken to the fibre team and my line can definatly only hold 0.5mb and i must be mistaken that my line was a rock solid 1.3 mb ul with o2 for over 2 years,must of been a faulty router
      although the lady at customer services was nice,she just kept waffling absolute rubbish.
      so know im looking at plusnet and another 100 odd quid to spend and no doubt the 122 i paid to sky will be refunded with all kind of deductions.................
      this one is defo getting reported to ofcom,ive got 2 recorded conversations,one from the sales lady and one from the fibre team and its like listening to the chuckle brothers.
      pure contradictions
      0.5 mb ul on fibre optic my ****
      Different technologies so totally possible that ADSL would have more upload if the line was bad, Makes me wonder if it's aluminum or just broken.

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT-Fibre-900
      Router: opnSense-I78550-Fanless
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Check out Ofcoms new rules that started in April, I believe that gives you the right to cancel without penalty.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Spending money and going to PlusNet fibre will be an absolute waste of time and money.

If your line is poor with Sky, it'll be poor with them too, and BT.

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      2. There also a training period for fibre so it may have started low (although this seems very low)
      DLM on fibre, unlike Sky's ADSL, starts completely unrestricted and works down until the line is stable. This is usually completed within 48 hours and then runs continuously monitoring the line quality and adjusting as necessary.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      Spending money and going to PlusNet fibre will be an absolute waste of time and money.

If your line is poor with Sky, it'll be poor with them too, and BT.
      funny you should say that,as a few years ago i was with sky bb and i was getting 5mb dl and 0.2 mb ul and i was assured after many tests that was all my line was capable of............
      i left to go with o2 after they changed the dl limit from unlimited to 10gb,as soon as i got o2 my dl was 9mb and ul was 1.3 mb and stayed rock solid for a couple of years till we moved......
      ive also had my line checked and as of yesterday my line was capable of 4.6mb ul but sky still say thats not true..........
      its definatly not a waste of money going to plusnet,if i dont get the speeds they quoted(estimates i know)or atleast within 1 or 2 mb of them they will move me back to adsl so its a win win.
      sky wouldnt do that for me,they say as im getting 16mb dl on fibre,the upload of 0.480 is acceptable.
      so roll on the 20th
      KEEP ON KEEPING ON
      checking punctuation