Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help requested to get Billion Bipac 7800N router to work with Sky Fibre

This is a discussion on Help requested to get Billion Bipac 7800N router to work with Sky Fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I upgraded to Sky Fibre this week and am trying to get my Billion Bipac 7800N up and ...

Herb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01249
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Help requested to get Billion Bipac 7800N router to work with Sky Fibre

Hi All,

I upgraded to Sky Fibre this week and am trying to get my Billion Bipac 7800N up and running with the Sky fibre and BT open reach modem as the Sky Hub supplied is well below the spec of my 7800N. My 7800N was previously working with Sky Broadband and I have followed the helpful advice on this forum to extract the username and password from the Sky Hub. I have also followed Billion's guide to set up the 7800N to work with the BT openreach modem by connecting the modem to the Ewan port of the 7800N and entered the extracted username and password. I have tried everything I can think of and read in the forum to get up and running, however I have been so far unsuccessful in getting the fibre broadband up and running via the Bipac 7800N router. Can anyone advise me how to get the Bipac 7800N to work on Sky fibre as Billion tell me it should work with the Sky MER fibre service? Any assistance you can priovide would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Help requested to get Billion Bipac 7800N router to work with Sky Fibre

Have you upgraded the firmware of the Billion to allow it to work with Sky?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Herb (27-04-13)

Thanks

Hi Isitme,

Thanks for your reply. I can confirm that my 7800N has the latest 1.06h firmware installed that is supposed to support Sky MER, and my 7800N was running fine with this firmware on Sky broadband prior to the fibre upgrade. Anything else you can think of would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi All,

I'm pleased to say I've now got my Billion Bipac 7800N router working on Sky Fibre. I had tried various things yesterday, saved the last one to configuration despite the fact it didn't seem to work and then powered down my 7800N and swapped back to the Sky Hub to get my broadband working last night. I decided to have another go with the 7800N a bit earlier today and on connecting it to the BT Modem/ rest of network and powering it up without doing anything else, to my surprise it successfully logged onto the Sky fibre broadband and hey presto I have my gigabit/ wireless N network back and can consign my Sky Hub to the shelf! Interestingly when I checked back through the Ewan settings on the 7800N the divider between username and password had gone and there are spaces in the password where the characters were. I may have tried it without the divider "|" but I certainly input the characters in the password which are no longer there. If anyone else is having trouble getting their 3rd party router up and running (particularly the Billion Bipac 7800N) it is worth trying the username and password altogether without a divider in between and inputting a space where you have characters identified in the password in the "client id" field as this might be your problem.

xaudiox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wrexham
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

I thought the whole point of a 7800N would be to use it without the BT Openreach modem ??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xaudiox View Post
      I thought the whole point of a 7800N would be to use it without the BT Openreach modem ??
      No, as it does not contain a VDSL modem, it cannot replace the BT Modem, only the Sky router. There are very few routers available at the moment with a built in VDSL modem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      No, as it does not contain a VDSL modem, it cannot replace the BT Modem, only the Sky router. There are very few routers available at the moment with a built in VDSL modem.
      Well that was lucky as i was going to replace a 7300N (which doesn't work with fiber at all) with the 7800N for just that reason, what are the list of routers that can run SKY fiber alone ?

Thanks

Billion do make VDSL routers, but the problem is getting one that can connect you to the Sky system. VDSL Modem/VDSL Wireless Modem/Router Zyxel also make a VDSL router, but you run into the same problem - ZyXEL P-871M Point-to-Point VDSL2 Modem - 91-004-778003B. Fritzbox also do a VDSL router, but it is costly. AVM Fritz! Box Fon 7390 Wireless 4 Port VDSL/ADSL2+ Router DECT VoIP Phone Adaper: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

As far as I know none of our members has managed to connect without using the supplied BTO modem. Your best bet would be to have a look at the BT Fibre forum and see how they are getting on with it there.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Your best bet would be to have a look at the BT Fibre forum and see how they are getting on with it there.

Draytek VDSL routers seem popular