Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How Do These Speed Tests Look?

This is a discussion on How Do These Speed Tests Look? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi So I finally got my Sky Fiber installed this morning (On the 40 / 10 product), Overall from what ...

Ianh2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Springburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

My Sky Fibre Performance? Speed Test Results

Hi

So I finally got my Sky Fiber installed this morning (On the 40 / 10 product), Overall from what I can tell the install has went fine.

I would say my house is approx 800m walking distance from the cabinet.

I have done numerous speed tests on the two computers in my house, One is a PC the other is a Imac both are upstairs and the Sky hub is downstairs. From the hub again walking distance about 17m for the PC and 15m for the Imac.

These are the results I have found, All tests were done on the London Structured Communications server on the Speedtest website. The homeplugs I used are TP-Link TL-PA511 Gigabit versions.

PC
      Wifi: 21.57 / 8.63 Ping 10
      Directly Wired: 34.19 / 8.95 Ping 10
      Homeplug: 26.35 / 8.92 Ping 10

Mac
      Wifi: 26.40 / 8.98 Ping 15
      Directly Wired: 32.56 / 8.97 Ping 17
      Homeplug: 27.35 / 8.98 Ping 17

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on the above would anyone care to venture if they think this is a reasonable performance?

My concerns are that the difference in Wifi vs Homeplug performance is not that great, That being around 1 meg on the Mac but a sizable 5 meg on the PC.

I know nobody can really answer this but if I were to replace the Sky Hub with a better 3rd party one could I expect better performance? Ie in terms of Wifi to perhaps meet or exceed the speed of the homeplug?

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post

Craig
      Last edited by Ianh2010; 25-04-13 at 09:15 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: How Do These Speed Tests Look?

First thing to do is to make sure you are using the best channel for the wireless. To do this download and instal Inssider, link below, on your PC and use it to find the least used Channel in your neighbourhood. Although the Sky Hub is supposed to find the best channel automatically, I am not convinced that it works with everyone.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, Yes it appears to be on a good channel, I see no overlapping networks in the area. Occasionally one BT wifi spot appears but thats it

Thanks

Sorry to bump this but I am almost at giving up point here. I have had Fiber for just over a week now.

Can anyone confirm what kind of wireless speeds I can expect to get out of the Sky Hub, On my Iphone 5 it refuses to go above 20 meg.

My sister is on the same package but with BT and the Homehub happily delivers 35 meg on my Iphone 5.

Spoke to the Sky fiber team and they seem to think a 15 meg drop on wireless is acceptable, These speeds are when I am standing right next to the router.

I even tried a 3rd party router, the ASUS RT-N66U and even it only appears to be improving the wireless connection by 1 - 2 meg.

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Thanks

I would expect higher than you've posted, even with overheads. What were you getting on ADSL2+ in relation to your sync speed?

What are you currently syncing at and are you still getting 34+ on a wired connection?

Check out Scubbie's post: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...dbye-adsl.html, it gives some useful information on speed tests etc.

Thanks

On my old ADSL2+ connection I was only getting 0.5meg as I am very far from the exchange.

Directly wired is around 33 - 34 meg.

My stats say I am syncing at:

DownStream Connection Speed 40000
      UpStream Connection Speed 7416

Thanks

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

We have always found that with WiFi there is a difference in the speed test results when compared to Ethernet. This difference becomes more pronounced with WiFi.

I am putting it down to the encryption and decryption of the traffic being sent between the WiFi device and the router, as well as possible interference from other WiFi networks nearby. My speed tests were in the end completed with a router which supports 300mb/s over WiFi.

I also found a huge difference between computers when doing tests on my own connection.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Scubbie, I know its purely dependent on your setup etc but in your option would you say I should be seeing a faster wireless result on even my Iphone? Surely a 15 meg drop is rather excessive?

On a whole the area round my house there does not appear to be a lot of wifi networks.

The 3rd party router I tried, The Asus N66U is I believe regarded as a good router, that being up to 450mb/s per channel, it is also dual band to make a potential total of 900mb/s but even with that installed my Iphone would not budge from 20mb/s, The Imac and PC seen only an increase of around 1 meg

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      We have always found that with WiFi there is a difference in the speed test results when compared to Ethernet. This difference becomes more pronounced with WiFi.

I am putting it down to the encryption and decryption of the traffic being sent between the WiFi device and the router, as well as possible interference from other WiFi networks nearby. My speed tests were in the end completed with a router which supports 300mb/s over WiFi.

I also found a huge difference between computers when doing tests on my own connection.
      Managed 175Mbit/s sustained out of a 300Mbit/s card on 5ghz the other day, client was a Toshiba i3 laptop with an atheros AR9382 card.

Then again that was an enterprise access point and given the cost of them you'd expect them to perform well.

Have had 150mbit/s of throughput out of my tenda AP with a 2011 macbook air on 5ghz mind.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

I have just redone the test over my own LAN. I managed 50% whilst transferring some video files between my NAS and Laptop when using the WNDR3800.

When copying the same files back, I managed 50-60%.

I was using FileZilla to copy the files and Task Manager to monitor the transfer speed. I double checked that the connection speed was 300mbps throughout the transfer too.

These figure equate to 150-180mbps which is reasonable.

These are a couple speedtests I have just run too:

I currently have the Peregrine Webcam running, but it's bandwidth usage isn't huge. The Laptop is connected via Ethernet as it was a better choice for where I have placed it. The Ethernet cable is plugged directly into the router.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast