Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

How Do These Speed Tests Look?

This is a discussion on How Do These Speed Tests Look? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You are correct, the Asus is by far the best router. Why you are not getting a better performance with ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: How Do These Speed Tests Look?

You are correct, the Asus is by far the best router. Why you are not getting a better performance with it I don't know. Maybe you should revert it to the original firmware and piggy back it on to the Sky router. The firmware you are using may be crippling it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Ianh2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Springburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I am certainly willing to try, Can you advise how I would go about doing that? Ie is there any settings on the Sky Hub I need to change?

Thanks

The easiest way for a quick trial is to follow the instructions here - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thank you, Ok so I have just tried it but im sorry to say that piggybacking it vs the custom Merlin firmware has made no noticeable difference. So I dont think it is the firmware holding it back.

Still only around 1mb/s faster than the Sky Hub so no real difference.

Thanks

Ok so just a quick update. I re-flashed the Asus N66U with the Merlin firmware to use it again as a complete replacement.

After playing around with the settings some more, I have been able to get the iMac speeds up to around 32-33Mb/s, I am perfectly happy with that as I am getting around 35Mb/s on a wired connection.

I am looking to upgrade the network card in the desktop PC as it has had no improvement as I am wondering if the extra distance / slightly older card is the issue.

I still remain confused in regards to the performance of my Iphone, It now goes to around 22Mb/s on either the 2.4ghz or 5ghz band. I have been searching for answers to no avail but see people with the same router on different isp's / packages easily achieving 55Mb/s +

Thanks

Sorry I can't be of more help, but if you are unable to get a good performance out of the Asus, I don't know what is wrong. The Asus is a very fast and highly recommended router, if you are unable to max out your devices with it, then something in your environment is causing a problem. I don't think it would matter what ISP you are with, the wireless performance would be similar.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

That's ok, No I understand that and will probably be sticking with Sky as with the Asus I am now happy with the iMac performance, The desktop PC should be fine once I get a new wifi card.

I will continue to search as to why the Iphone is not performing as it should, I suspect it is a setting somewhere, The Asus has a lot of them and it will probably take some searching to figure them all out

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123