Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Sky Fibre Install and Extension Questions.

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre Install and Extension Questions. within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade to Sky fibre shortly as it has just become available in my area and ...

whammer007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01294
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Fibre Install and Extension Questions.

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade to Sky fibre shortly as it has just become available in my area and I have a question about the install.
      My master socket is in the hall, nowhere near a power socket.
      I have run 2 extensions from this under the floor using normal phone cable, one for the living room phone and sky box and the other for the sky box in the upstairs bedroom.
      Assuming that I'll need to have the socket in the living room converted to master because of the no power issue, what would happen to my upstairs extension? would the BT engineer connect it if I ran the cable to the new master?
      It's actually going to be a right pain whatever I do because I don't want to lift my oak floor and only have limited access from under the stairs.
      obviously I'm keen to get the order moving, I just want to be ready when the install is due.
      I did think about getting power to the original master (Heath Robinson extension or passive POE or something).

Apologies if this sounds a bit confusing.

Any advice would be welcome.

Regards,

Colin

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky Fibre Install and Extension Questions.

You have a range of choices available. Which one best suits you will be down to the personal situation that you have there.

Which ever option you choose though will involve laying some cables. This could be as simple as changing the wiring for one of the extension to a more suitable cable and moving the Master Socket, or it could be as simple as running an Ethernet cable to where you want to place the BTO Modem and using the Passive POE option.

The BTO Engineer can install a custom Data cable if required (up to 30m) or move the Master Socket. Moving the Master Socket will mess up the connections to your extension though. You will need to arrange for these to be rewired. It is possible to do this yourself though.

The Data Extension lead is effectively an Ethernet Cat 5e cable with an RJ11 connector at each end.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

Thanks for the reply.
      I'm kinda leaning towards siting the modem at the master and running a CAT5e from my computer room upstairs which would supply the power via passive POE. that's assuming the power supply connector is compatible with the POE injector. ( DC 5.5 x 2.1 mm) And that the current drop/distance isn't too great.
      If I go this route, then how will my existing extensions need to be wired? Currently they are kroned behind the faceplate.

Regards,

Colin.

Thanks

Apparently some people have already successfully connected the BTO Modem via a Passive POE connection.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

If the worst came to the worst, do you think they would install it roughly letting me use a temporary electrical extension so I could "sort it out later"?

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Assuming that the cable you installed is four core and of good quality two cores (white with blue & blue with white) could extend the incoming BT cable from the hall to a new or re-sited master socket in the living room. The cables being joined in a box (either surface mounted or flush for an extension socket in the hall. The BTO eng would use crimp connectors to join the two wires. The remaining two cores in the living room would run from the VDSL faceplate which replaces the front of the NTE5 master socket back to an extension socket in the hall. This in turn would be daisy chained to the extension in the bedroom using existing wiring. Most modern telephones (with an electronic ringer) only require a two wire connection connected to pins 2 & 5 (middle left and middle right) in the extension socket although some older phones especially those with an electro-mechanical bell would not ring in this configuration. You could check this prior to doing any work by disconnecting all pins except 2 & 5 from one of your extension sockets and checking all your telephone instruments one by one using this socket to make sure they ring when calling home from your mobile. Only two cores are required for Sky+ HD box telephone connections.
      Last edited by seawright; 10-05-13 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Corrected pin numbers & elaborated.

Thanks

From memory, I don't think the phone cable is the best of stuff. I was under the impression that standard telephone extension cable could not be used for VSDL extensions.

Thanks

Correct. Definitely avoid using standard flay extension cable for any VDSL link.

Cat 5e is perhaps a little OTT, but is good enough to support the signal without too much harm.

If you are interested in getting the correct cable, take a look at the run-IT-direct site and if necessary have a chat with Dave there.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I was attempting to find a way of utilising existing cables in order to avoid the requirement to lift laminate flooring. Although no longer fitted a few years ago it was common in new build properties for BT to install external NTE which was where BT maintained cables terminated. From this all internal telephone wiring would be run by the builders or their contractors. In this situation it is usual for BTO, when installing fibre, to install a combined VDSL faceplate and master socket using existing cables and use jelly crimps to join the cables in the external NTE thereby bypassing the internal test jack and isolator. Electrically this would be similar to what I was recommending in my previous post and is seen as an acceptable method of installation by BTO where an external NTE is fitted. The BTO engineer would be able to advise you whether the quality of your internal cabling would be suitable in your situation.
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

Looks like I'll have plenty of time to weigh up my options, I've just found out my order has not gone through and I'll have to wait at least a month for installation.

On the plus side I tested a passive POE injector and it powered a router through 30 metres of CAT5e no problem.
      Scubbie likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast