Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Drop in speed

This is a discussion on Drop in speed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Since getting fibre, i have had speeds of around 23 down, 8 up and ping of around 30, (a bit ...

cuckie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: PETERLEE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Drop in speed

Since getting fibre, i have had speeds of around 23 down, 8 up and ping of around 30, (a bit dissappointing but have had bt and sky test everything and they say there is no problems.)
      For the past couple of weeks my speeds have improved, around 30 down, 9 up and ping around 20. I have no idea why they were better but i was glad to see it!
      Then, since tuesday, they have dropped again to less than before, 17 down, 8 up and ping around 35??
      I dont know if there is a problem with the exchange (peterlee) but does anyone have any ideas? (i have done loads of speed tests at different times of the day and they are always about the same, even the kids are complaining the internet seems slower!)

2. Advertisement
      itype is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke, THBZ
      Thanks

Re: Drop in speed

What were you quoted as a max speed from Sky by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by cuckie View Post
      Since getting fibre, i have had speeds of around 23 down, 8 up and ping of around 30, (a bit dissappointing but have had bt and sky test everything and they say there is no problems.)
      For the past couple of weeks my speeds have improved, around 30 down, 9 up and ping around 20. I have no idea why they were better but i was glad to see it!
      Then, since tuesday, they have dropped again to less than before, 17 down, 8 up and ping around 35??
      I dont know if there is a problem with the exchange (peterlee) but does anyone have any ideas? (i have done loads of speed tests at different times of the day and they are always about the same, even the kids are complaining the internet seems slower!)

cuckie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: PETERLEE
      Thanks

i was told i should get the full 40, my router is synked at 40000 down, 9960 up.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

After my own experiences with different computers, it might be useful to check what the router is reporting too.

Also could you run a speed test in Safe Mode (with Networking) to see if this improves things too. It would also be useful to check it with different browsers.

Edit: Oops! You've posted what your router is saying. In this case definately check your PC in safe mode and with different browsers.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.