Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Like Tree12Likes

Goodbye ADSL

This is a discussion on Goodbye ADSL within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; A lot has been written about the good and the bad with Windows QoS. Some say it will slow the ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Goodbye ADSL

A lot has been written about the good and the bad with Windows QoS. Some say it will slow the PC down by holding bandwidth in reserve, but MS have denied this, explaining that it does not come into force unless services are competing for bandwidth. What it does do is slow down some services when a priority service requires more bandwidth. For instance if you are downloading something and you also want to stream a video or make a VoiP call, it will slow down the download to give more bandwidth to the service that needs it. In XP it was designed to balance the load when connection speeds were 56kbps. It is one of the things taken into account when using TCPOptimiser or DRTCP to optimise your connection for broadband, which XP never was. I doubt if disabling it will make much difference to speedtests, which should always be run when nothing else is using the line anyway, so should have all the bandwidth that is available.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Could it also be that the remote server has a preference for what computer it sees over the link - albeit through the NAT firewall?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Just a quick update...

The connection speed has remaind at 80/20 so I am very happy with this .

I haven't had much of a chance to really hammer my connection yet. Distros seem to be very quick to download . Uploads have been excellent .

As for traffic, the following meter wasn't started straight away after getting it all connected, but it gives you some idea of the traffic from around Sunday 7th:

Period Traffic Volume (Mbytes)
      Upload/Avg Download/Avg Total/Avg
      Today 0:0 2,562 2,098 4,660
      Yesterday 0:0 32,245 17,543 49,789
      This week 0:0 279,895/46,649 103,231/17,205 383,127/63,854
      This month 0:0 545,034/23,697 252,717/10,987 797,751/34,684
      Last month 0:0 0.00/0.00 0.00/0.00 0.00/0.00

As I said, a quiet month so far.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Are Bourbons and Dark Chocolate Hobnobs good enough?

Totally free!

The only drawbacks I have found are that the app doesn't work on my Netgear ReadyNAS and that I need to restart it when my torrent PC reboots. You need at least one computer running the program at home for it to work.

Having said that, once it is running on the desktop, I don't need the app on the NAS and I can access any DLNA device when away from home. Considering the slow upload with ADSL, whilst at a friend's I was able to stream an album not on my phone to a friend's TV, like I can stream content to my own.

Browsing the NAS has been slow. I have put this down to the upload speed as well. In future is should be limited more to the download speed for where I am.
      I use Subsonic to stream to my phone.etc When away from home.

Actually I use it at home as well because I usually can't be bothered to turn on my Local server (I have subsonic running on a VPS), You have to pay a small fee to have the app API's enabled (although there are plenty of derivatives that are free if you wish)

If you can get command line access to your NAS you might be able to install the server on there.

Thanks

Just a quick update on this:

The connection has been solid. The Sky router's up time is currently showing over 550 hours. There was some messing around at first and I am still waiting for someone to get back to me on an issue which has been found.

I've just run a couple of speed tests on the thinkbroadband site. The first is from my main laptop via WiFi:

This second set of stat is from the desktop I use for my torrents connected via Ethernet:

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

paulkerdot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newton Mearns
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Apple Time Capsule
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Just a quick update on this:

The connection has been solid. The Sky router's up time is currently showing over 550 hours. There was some messing around at first and I am still waiting for someone to get back to me on an issue which has been found.

I've just run a couple of speed tests on the thinkbroadband site. The first is from my main laptop via WiFi:

This second set of stat is from the desktop I use for my torrents connected via Ethernet:

As long as I use the dedicated 5ghz network on my Time Capsule with my Macbook Pro I always get the full speed of 37 down. If I use 2.4ghz my speeds vary

​BT Infinity 2 51369/14357
      Sky Fibre Unlimited 39999/10000
      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro 49394/18767 Was before I got DLM'd down to 45000 but now downgraded

Sky Fibre Unlimited 39999/1999
      Sky Broadband Unlimited 10487/1049

paulm94 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Well not long now Tuesday I will have FTTC

1 question do you get a time slot on the day by text or phone as my wife is off but needs to do school runs

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulm94 View Post
      Well not long now Tuesday I will have FTTC

1 question do you get a time slot on the day by text or phone as my wife is off but needs to do school runs
      You NEED to make sure someone is at the house for the WHOLE PERIOD either 8.00-13.00 or 13.00-18.00 as Openreach (in)famously don't call in advance. Then if they don't find someone in when they come you will be charged a hefty amount for a reappointment.

If you cannot commit to this then you need to call Sky before 3.30pm on Monday to rearrange it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Thanks

In addition to what bubblegun has said, if you have a PM appointment, it pays to have someone in your home from around 11am. If the BTO Engineer is running early, then often he/she will start the PM jobs early too.

In my case I didn't receive any call or text.

I was previously on WLR3 and my line was not only switched to SFU, but also it was moved to SVBN. This meant that the BTO Engineer moved my landline to a new port in the exchange. The result was that I was without a landline for some time.

He came and fitted the BTO Modem and then cleared off to finish connecting everything at either the cabinet and/or the exchange. He then returned to check things over and left.

paulm94 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Goodbye ADSL

Ok cheers sky told me they would leave a note with engineer to ring when he has a not far away

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast