Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree3Likes
    • 1 Post By iZucchini
    • 1 Post By seawright
    • 1 Post By Scubbie

Upcoming Sky Installation Questions

This is a discussion on Upcoming Sky Installation Questions within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I upgraded to Sky Fibre recently from the Unlimited BB mainly due to poor speeds of approx 3Mbps even ...

kopper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LNUPK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Upcoming Sky Installation Questions

Hi
      I upgraded to Sky Fibre recently from the Unlimited BB mainly due to poor speeds of approx 3Mbps even though I should be getting around 10Mbps (Had various checks done by Sky & BT).

My questions are, I understand theres something called a BTO Modem as well as a Sky Hub. Will these both be sent to me before the installation?

Currently my existing Sky Router is upstairs cabled to my desktop Pc and plugged into the telephone extension which runs downstairs to the master socket in the living room. Is it recommended I move the new Sky Router/Hub downstairs next to the master socket for getting the best speeds for Fibre?

If so, in order to get a connection upstairs to my desktop PC, do i need a very long network cable running from the new router to upstairs or should I get one of those HomePlugs for data through the electric circuits? The desktop PC does not have wifi so my only option is a network cable.

The final question is, would I be able to keep my existing set up of leaving the Sky router upstairs for Fibre and plugging it into the existing telephone extension?

Thanks

B

2. Advertisement
      iZucchini is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Finchley
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Re: Upcoming Sky Installation Questions

In all honesty, I'd have the BTO modem as close to the main socket as possible (less copper) and then use an Ethernet cable to run upstairs to the sky router then Ethernet your computer into the router. That's the cheapest option. As for home plugs, you can do that too but does add some expense to your bill
      kopper likes this.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

The Sky hub will be posted to you but the BTO engineer will bring the modem. I suggest modem downstairs and Sky Hub upstairs connected by a long CAT 5E ethernet cable. You could use Home Plugs but if gaming is your passion you may find that the Home Plugs will increase latency by a few milliseconds. Once fibre is installed extension sockets can only be used for telephones.
      kopper likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Yay! Another one getting SFU soon.

The Sky Hub SR101 will be sent to you via the Royal Mail packet post service. It will be 'Tracked'. As Sky have my mobile number, I received a text message from the Royal Mail on the morning (just after 7am, but actual times will vary in accordance with when the item is scanned) of delivery. When it was delivered I got another text to confirm this.

The BTO Engineer will deliver the BTO Modem. You simply connect an Ethernet cable between the Sky Hub and the BTO Modem.

Essentially FTTC does benefit from you using the Master Socket, not an extension. This is also true for ADSL connections and may well explain why your connection is only 3mb, not 10mb.

You have identified the main options in your setup. Many have expressed issues with some HomePlugs as many struggle to provide the fullest connection speed, however others have no issues. For this reason I tend to recommend a long Cat 5e Ethernet cable where possible. If this isn't a suitable idea, consider a pair of 500mbps HomePlugs or 200mbps HomePlugs.

Note: The Ethernet cable between the BTO Modem and the Sky Hub SR101 can be any length up to 100m. So if you are able to run an Ethernet cable from downstairs you could just place the Sky Hub in the same place as the old router.

If this isn't suitable, get yourself a USB WiFi adaptor. Aim for one which supports a 300mbps connection speed as this will get the best from the Sky Hub SR101. Check the WiFi signal first with something which does have WiFi (i.e. smart phone). Apps such as inSSIDer and Wifi Manager can help with this.

As for your old router, no it cannot connect to the telephone socket once you have FTTC installed. However, provided that you use either the Ethernet or HomePlug option, you could piggyback it onto the Sky Hub SR101. This would give you a WiFi Access Point upstairs if the signal from the Sky Hub isn't strong enough.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

Edit: lol - I took so long, others got there before me
      kopper likes this.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

kopper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LNUPK
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Yay! Another one getting SFU soon.

The Sky Hub SR101 will be sent to you via the Royal Mail packet post service. It will be 'Tracked'. As Sky have my mobile number, I received a text message from the Royal Mail on the morning (just after 7am, but actual times will vary in accordance with when the item is scanned) of delivery. When it was delivered I got another text to confirm this.

The BTO Engineer will deliver the BTO Modem. You simply connect an Ethernet cable between the Sky Hub and the BTO Modem.

Essentially FTTC does benefit from you using the Master Socket, not an extension. This is also true for ADSL connections and may well explain why your connection is only 3mb, not 10mb.

You have identified the main options in your setup. Many have expressed issues with some HomePlugs as many struggle to provide the fullest connection speed, however others have no issues. For this reason I tend to recommend a long Cat 5e Ethernet cable where possible. If this isn't a suitable idea, consider a pair of 500mbps HomePlugs or 200mbps HomePlugs.

Note: The Ethernet cable between the BTO Modem and the Sky Hub SR101 can be any length up to 100m. So if you are able to run an Ethernet cable from downstairs you could just place the Sky Hub in the same place as the old router.

If this isn't suitable, get yourself a USB WiFi adaptor. Aim for one which supports a 300mbps connection speed as this will get the best from the Sky Hub SR101. Check the WiFi signal first with something which does have WiFi (i.e. smart phone). Apps such as inSSIDer and Wifi Manager can help with this.

As for your old router, no it cannot connect to the telephone socket once you have FTTC installed. However, provided that you use either the Ethernet or HomePlug option, you could piggyback it onto the Sky Hub SR101. This would give you a WiFi Access Point upstairs if the signal from the Sky Hub isn't strong enough.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

Edit: lol - I took so long, others got there before me

The HomePlug route appears to be the most appealing method if it works. If I go for the cheaper 200mbps HomePlug, will that be sufficient for the Sky Fibre 38mb and above ?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

It varies too much for anyone to safely provide a definitive answer to that.

Some members have complained that they get a little less when using the HomePlugs. This is because although the speed between them can be as much as 200mbps or 500mbps, they encrypt and decrypt the data sent between each other.

Other factors can also influence the speed such as the quality of the electrical wiring, whether or not the neighbours also use HomePlugs and the actual quality of the HomePlugs themselves.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

markm9 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: SKY fibre max
      Router: Sky Q hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

kopper, i use 4 homeplugs, this includes the one into router, i have two on middle floor, both give me 50mbps down, and 16mbps up( fibre bband), the third one is on top floor son uses this and again he recieves full speed, homeplugs i have are tp-link 200mbps.
      [URL=http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4411733501]