Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree5Likes

New estate means no fibre for me

This is a discussion on New estate means no fibre for me within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Whilst many may not be interested in faster broadband, it may well still be worth while. More and more pensioners ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: New estate means no fibre for me

Whilst many may not be interested in faster broadband, it may well still be worth while. More and more pensioners are connected these days and many will be Skyping their relatives and exchanging family snaps.

Perhaps more might even be downloading Youtube or CUTV content too, but I don't know their habits that well.

I couldn't recall your connection speed so I checked. A download of 15mb, with 1mb upload is probably going to be more than enough for most of them.

Getting back to what I was suggesting before though, it might be worth finding out just how many Fibre customers would make it worth while for the cabinet to be upgraded. I realised that they hadn't given you this information, but there is no harm in asking . You will also need to get some idea as to which addresses are connected to the cabinet too. This might be more difficult to get, but if you were to explain your intentions they might be more willing to give you some idea.

Once you have this information you can then find out who would be interested in getting Fibre. If you have enough to make it BTO's worthwhile, they should start making steps to roll it out.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nellisere View Post
      Unfortunately many people down my street are pensioners, I don't think they care about super fast broadband haha.
      Being pensioners doesn't mean they are stupid or not interested in a better service, where a little more money means a much better service.

A very common statistic is that most of this countries wealth is locked inside the older generations pension plans.

So don't assume that all older people are poor.
      But by the same judgement don't assume all pensioners are better-off than they seem.

Assumptions make an ass out of you and me!

The only way you will find out is by asking.

In my experience a lot of people are happy to get a much better broadband service from BT for "just 5 extra" per month.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Woohoo, my daily email from roadworks.org cam through today and work on the cabinet is about to start. All those months of effort battling with openreach are now a reality.

Now just need to work out whether to sort the external master socket myself now or wait and see if an openreach engineer will come to do the install.
      jrfer and Scubbie like this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

By the time it goes live I bet Sky will have switched to Self-install .

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12