Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fibre download speed query

This is a discussion on Fibre download speed query within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am on Sky Fibre Unlimited using the Sagecom router, which connects to my PC wirelessly. When the BT modem ...

geoffwba is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Great Barr
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Fibre download speed query

I am on Sky Fibre Unlimited using the Sagecom router, which connects to my PC wirelessly. When the BT modem and router were set up last year , running Speedtest produced a result of around 37 mbps. Approximately 3 months ago the speed dropped drastically and it turned out that the BT line from the cabinet was faulty- this was fixed by BT and my download speed as reported by Speedtest reverted to about 37 mbps. Recently however my download speed has halved and is now consistently around 19 mbps but the modem speed is showing as 39999 kbps.
      I phoned Sky who reported no problem with my line, so I am wondering whether the problem is in my home. I have tried changing the wireless channel but this makes no difference. I also have a security camera and Logitech hub communicating with the router by wireless and a WDTV hub (for the TV) connected to the router by ethernet cable.
      I am not sure what to try next- would using Homeplugs help rather than using wireless? If so, do I need a second router ? My PC is located in a bedroom, approximately 12 feet from the BT master socket/modem/router set up. The only intervening obstacle to the wireless signal is a stud wall, so I cannot understand why Speedtest is reporting such a low speed. Running an ethernet cable from my router to the PC is not really practicable.

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Fibre download speed query

You will get a more accurate result (hopefully giving a higher d/l speed) when using a wired connection directly into the router with your wireless turned off temporarily (to ensure that any other wirelessly connected devices don't use your connection whilst testing) and with any other wired devices disconnected temporarily. Are you able to do this temporarily, even though it's not your connection method of choice, just to be sure?

If a wired test yields a similar result to wireless (or better than but still not as previously seen), I would suspect (reoccurrence of) a fault causing DLM to lower your speed. (Is your upload speed also lower than normal?
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Thanks

OK thanks for the above. I have temporarily connected my PC directly to the router by ethernet cable and lo and behold I am getting a download speed of just under 38mbps ! I have to figure out now how best to connect my PC (upstairs) to the router (downstairs) and am wondering whether using a homeplug would do the trick? Running an ethernet cable between the router and the PC, whilst not impossible, could prove a little bit tricky.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

I would say that with Homeplugs - YMMV.

I bought a 200Mbit pair and only managed to get 40Mbit through mine. They were no good for HD streaming from downstairs (Apple TV) to my Microserver (lives upstairs)

In the end I cleverly found a route within which I could run exterior CAT5 cable and now have Gbit between them

In your case though, could it be wireless channel congestion? There are loads of wireless networks popping up these days, all contending for the same precious 3 channels (1, 6, 11 don't interfere with each other, but channel 2 would interfere with 1 and 6, IIRC)

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Homeplug would seem to be the way to go then.

Hopefully it won't be the case for you, but bear in mind that the quality & configuration of electrical wiring within the home can have the impact of reducing throughput speed over homeplug.

Edit: yes I'd go for 500Mbps devices if it's affordable.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

My house is only 25 years old, but who knows what that would mean in terms of wiring quality.

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      My house is only 25 years old, but who knows what that would mean in terms of wiring quality.
      Mine is circa 1985. Original wiring is ok. Can stream HD movies over 200Mbps homeplugs from router to Apple TV quite happily. I think the way the wiring is arranged into circuits can also affect things (but I'm no" sparky" so I may be talking nonsense! Usually am... )

Thanks

It looks as though it will be the homeplug route for me then. In one of Scubbie's posts Devolo was mentioned as probably the best. However the Devolo website has confused me as there seem to be quite a number of different ones available. Also, I have looked at 2 Youtube videos explaining how to set them up- the first video showed a Devolo homeplug located by the PC being connected wirelessly but the second video showed a direct PC connection via ethernet cable. Now I can't see the point of a wireless connection to the PC as surely ethernet cable is faster, unless you have another network device in the same room. Having said that I do have a wireless printer in the same room as my PC so perhaps that is the way to go. As I have Sky fibre unlimited I will obviously need a homeplug capable of handling up to about 38mbps. The network adapter card in my PC is a TP Link wireless N rated at 300mbps. Further advice on the choice of homeplug would be very welcome!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

I can envisage a scenario where someone could have say one PC connected via Ethernet and another via WiFi, but also do remember that not all electrical sockets are equal. It is quite possible to want to have a PC plugged into the mains on a circuit which doesn't let the HomePlugs work well, where another socket does work well

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Having had further thoughts on this, the wiring in my house is quite old (my house was built in 1966) so I am not entirely sure whether it would be up to the job. Would replacing the Sky router perhaps be a better option and if so, which models are recommended?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast