Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Fibre Install

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre Install within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok guys i need your opinion My master socket has no electric sockets near it just now i have a ...

Haggistech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alloa
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Fibre Install

Ok guys i need your opinion

My master socket has no electric sockets near it

just now i have a 5m ADSL cables going from the socket up the banister to where the router sits

the plug then comes from the router rouns the banister to the top landing where it plugs in

There is also a ethernet cable going from the router to a 2nd router so i can get total wireless coverage as my house is old and the walls are very thick

So i need to be able to plug that second router back into the new sky hub when i get it

I am thinking of asking the engineer to have the Openreach modem on the wall about 3 meters away from the master socket so again i can run the plug from it around the banister to the sockets i can then have the hub sitting updtairs and still have my router sitting on the banister for downstairs wireless

what do you think of this?

If i ask the engineer to make my master socket upstairs beside all the plugs would he be able to rewire my master socket just now into an extension?

i currently have only 1 telephone socket in the house whici is the master

the main telephone line comes into at the window at the top of the stairs so making the master socket up there would also decrease the cable length

- - - Updated - - -

or can he run a data extension kit from the master so i can have the modem and the router upstairs?

2. Advertisement
      dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre Install

I use these with my huawei, although I suspect it would probably also work with an ECI providing the DC jack fits.

LinITX.com - Passive PoE Injector/Splitter Set

Should be ok over a short cable run, over a longer run there would be to much loss in the network cable to do this, think mines somewhere between 5 and 8 Meters (It goes under the floor)

Since the VDSL modem is not a native POE device don't forget to put the splitter end in otherwise you'll shove 12v up it's network port which probably won't do it much good.

Haggistech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alloa
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre Install

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      I use these with my huawei, although I suspect it would probably also work with an ECI providing the DC jack fits.

LinITX.com - Passive PoE Injector/Splitter Set

Should be ok over a short cable run, over a longer run there would be to much loss in the network cable to do this, think mines somewhere between 5 and 8 Meters (It goes under the floor)

Since the VDSL modem is not a native POE device don't forget to put the splitter end in otherwise you'll shove 12v up it's network port which probably won't do it much good.
      There would be no loss in the Network cable over such a small distance

Anyone else got any ideas?