Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Advice on Network Security for new Fibre Connection

This is a discussion on Advice on Network Security for new Fibre Connection within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Guys, Recently had my new Sky Fibre Broadband installed and am very happy with it. However there is one thing ...

jaseuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Advice on Network Security for new Fibre Connection

Guys,
      Recently had my new Sky Fibre Broadband installed and am very happy with it.

However there is one thing concerning me a little. I have set the SR101 up so that I am using the Wireless Station Access List so all wireless devices will need to be on the list to connect to my network.

That is working perfectly but when I click on Network on my desktop there are strange network devices that aren't mine. I have seen on occasions a Mobile Phone and an Unknown Device. What I have been doing is changing the wireless channel to make them disappear.

Have I got anything to worry about only it didn't do this with my previous Sky Sagem 2504 router?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Advice on Network Security for new Fibre Connection

Your best defence is a secure password using WPA2, which is almost unbreakable. Forget about Wireless Access lists, they are easily overcome. Set up a password of at least 12 characters in WPA2-AES and it will give you a very secure network. Make the password, which is probably the wrong thing to say as you don't really want to use a word, let's say passkey, with capitals, lower case, numbers, and punctuation marks. Take your username, made into a passkey it could be *j_A&&5?u%K* this would be nigh on impossible to break.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

jaseuk (10-03-13)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

If you are using the WAL then the other devices will attempt to connect, provided that they have the password, but it will be refused and they will not gain access.

I use the WAL myself and occasionally forget when I want to add a friend's phone or laptop.

Since you have the Wireless Access List (WAL), you should be able to see from the MAC Address which devices are connected. Of course you will need to note the MAC Address in the attached devices list first.

Just to note though, there are some fixes in this area to come in the next update. At present a small number of devices show incorrectly as connected by Wireless or Cabled. As for the names of devices, this varies and is partially down to how the device advertises it's name over your LAN.

Whilst I agree with Tom's statement that the WAL isn't that brilliant, where I live there is a large number of WiFi networks. By using the WAL in my case, it discourages someone from hacking mine as there are easier networks to find.

I would definitely agree with changing the SSID (Wireless name) and password too. The default security is WPA2-PSK (AES). This is the best option to use. Do not change it to WEP as this is insecure.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

os40 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Windsor Exchange
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Apologies for the slight thread hijack, but what should I change my SSID to if it isn't a good idea to display 'SKY12345'?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Change it to anything you like. Personally I have changed mine to something quite different to the original SSID.

Don't use things such as your true name or house number. IMHO this makes it easy to know when you a re out, if you turn it off, or who's network to target.

We did cross-post an article with lots of rude SSIDs and also various other ideas thrown in. clean examples would include Imigration, Customs, Noseyperson & Notyournetwork. I would advise against using naughty words or something slanderous as some people have been prosecuted.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

jaseuk (10-03-13)

jaseuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Some great advice there guys thank you

What I have done: -
      Changed SSID to something that does not identify me but it doesnt really matter as I have also stopped my router broadcasting its SSID.
      Created a random password as advised by 'isitme' with WPA2-PSK (AES) encryption.

Still using WAL though as a bit of extra security