Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

40/10 Sky Fibre and slow speeds via 200mb Homeplugs

This is a discussion on 40/10 Sky Fibre and slow speeds via 200mb Homeplugs within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; All, I got Sky Fibre 40/10 installed last week. When I connect a laptop via a wired connection at the ...

ramit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rustington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

40/10 Sky Fibre and slow speeds via 200mb Homeplugs

All,
      I got Sky Fibre 40/10 installed last week. When I connect a laptop via a wired connection at the Sky router, I get download speeds of 37 Mb/s and upload of 9.4 Mb/s which I'm really happy with.
      The problem I have is that my main computer is in the room next door and I am using 200Mb/s homeplugs (non branded from Ebuyer) to connect the fibre connection to my main PC. Our house is only 11 years old, so wiring should be ok.
      The issue I have is that the best speed I am getting via the homeplugs is 26Mb/s down and 9.4MB/s up. (All homeplugs are attached to wall, not via extension leads)
      I've tested the throughput of the homeplug (by transferring a large file), and the best I can get is 40Mb/s -which is not very good
      I've also done a test where I've connected the router and pc into homeplugs next to each other on same socket - the best throughput I could get on the homeplug was 60Mb/s. The internet speed only improved from 26Mb/s to 29Mb/s
      I want to try and be able to get internet speeds more in the range of what I see at the router.
      Can anyone give me some advice on:
      1) Are the actual speeds I am seeing for the 200Mb/s homeplugs seem about right? 40-60Mb/s seems very low to me
      2) If I upgrade to 500Mb/s am I likely to get the full internet speed of 37Mb/s or anywhere close?
      3) Is there any other way to get these sort of speeds WITHOUT directly connecting my Pc to the router via ethernet?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: 40/10 Sky Fibre and slow speeds via 200mb Homeplugs

1) Are the actual speeds I am seeing for the 200Mb/s homeplugs seem about right? 40-60Mb/s seems very low to me
      Probably about right. Although it say 200mbps I think that is both ways, ie 100mb down and 100mb up.

2) If I upgrade to 500Mb/s am I likely to get the full internet speed of 37Mb/s or anywhere close?
      You should do.

3) Is there any other way to get these sort of speeds WITHOUT directly connecting my Pc to the router via ethernet?
      Not really. What speed do you get with your laptops wireless when it is adjacent to the PC? You will get about the same with a wireless adapter on the PC.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

200Mbit/s would be the PHY rate in ideal conditions, real world conditions are never anywhere near Ideal.

For Comparison, I was just about getting 80Mbit/s on a LAN > LAN transfer between floors out of my supposedly gigabit adaptors, Currently all my switches and my LAN port on my firewall are running at GIG-E, although I might stick the 100Mbit/s switch back in (It's a smart switch so has a few features my gig switches don't).

One thing I would say is if you have any switch mode power supplies nearby try temporarily turning them off and retesting, I have one for a battery charger that completely decimates the throughput on the powerline adaptors if it's plugged in anywhere near them.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: Sky fibre 1
      Router: Sky sr203
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

I have power lines connected also my mother has her PC connected using them due to long Ethernet hassle she has 500mps ones and they're pretty fast id say. but if you prefer ethernet then go that way

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Ethernet everytime. I used 200Mbit powerlines between upstairs and downstairs, and I wouldn't get any more than 44Mbit.

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT-Fibre-900
      Router: opnSense-I78550-Fanless
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

I bought 500Mbit homeplugs, and it made no difference for me. I think homeplugs are heavily dependant on the quality of the electrical wiring in your house. I just bought a 30 meter ethernet cable and tacked along skirting to my PC, it's ugly but at least I get my max speed.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coipu View Post
      I bought 500Mbit homeplugs, and it made no difference for me. I think homeplugs are heavily dependant on the quality of the electrical wiring in your house. I just bought a 30 meter ethernet cable and tacked along skirting to my PC, it's ugly but at least I get my max speed.

They're also affected by interference from Switch Mode PSU's (such as those used in a lot of modern electronics e.g phone chargers, router PSU's .etc
      They tend to be used instead of the older bulky transformers) and also powerline adaptors don't like being placed on surge protectors.