Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slow wireless fibre

This is a discussion on Slow wireless fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone, I have just upgraded from broadband unlimited to fibre unlimited, and i have a wired connection of 38mb ...

ChrisV is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01562
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Slow wireless fibre

Hi everyone,
      I have just upgraded from broadband unlimited to fibre unlimited, and i have a wired connection of 38mb down and 9mb up.
      If i go wireless, I get 15mb down and 9mb up. This seems quite a big download drop as i am sitting only six feet away from the router!! Is there any way to increase the download potential without being wired?
      Also, both my boys have gaming pc's in their bedrooms upstairs, so this was one of the reasons for upgrading to fibre.
      They both get the same as I do , so is homeplugs the way forward? and if so, do you recommend a certain brand.
      I also read somewhere on here that people use their 'old' sagecom router as a wireless extender? Is this possible, would it make the wireless download any better or not? Sorry if these are 'dummy' questions to ask, but I am not very knowledgable in this field
      Many thanks,
      Chris.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Slow wireless fibre

Welcome to the forum Chris.

Your questions are quite common and not in anyway silly.

Essentially what is happening is that with WiFi you are normally competing for air space with a neighbour who may be using the same channel. Also the signal isn't as clean as it would be is you had a wired connection.

HomePlugs could certainly help. Which specific ones though I couldn't say. Basically there are two standards and they should comply to one or the other standard (i.e. HomePlug or PowerLine). For convenience we mostly refer to 'HomePlugs' on the forum, but the PowerLine Adaptors work in the same way.

The real choice is the connection speed, any additional features (i.e. extra ports, built in WiFi, passthrough socket) and how many.

HomePlugs come in packs of two or singles. If your sons are in different rooms you may wish to get three so that the one by the router can connect to one in each room. This should provide the best speed for them both.

The actual speed you get will vary. Whilst the figures of 200mbps and 500mbps sound great, the actual throughput speed is reduced by how well the adaptors work at encrypting the transmission. Your own electrical wiring can also have an affect. HomePlugs do not like to be on extensions (especially with Surge Protection), so ideally you should plug them into the wall socket.

If you wish to add an extra WiFi Access Point, then you most certainly can use the old router. Instructions for configuring it are here:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

If you are able to run a network cable behind the wall and feed it through the loft to their rooms, this might be a better long term solution, especially with the ever increasing Internet speeds. Cat 5e Ethernet cable can support speeds of up to 1Gbit for distances of up to 100m. You could fit a Network Switch in the loft and connect a cable from each room to it. To tidy things up, a wall socket would be fitted in each room, with a short Cat 5e Ethernet cable to the router or the Games PC.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

ChrisV (17-02-13)

paulkerdot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newton Mearns
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Apple Time Capsule
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
      Hi everyone,
      I have just upgraded from broadband unlimited to fibre unlimited, and i have a wired connection of 38mb down and 9mb up.
      If i go wireless, I get 15mb down and 9mb up. This seems quite a big download drop as i am sitting only six feet away from the router!! Is there any way to increase the download potential without being wired?
      Also, both my boys have gaming pc's in their bedrooms upstairs, so this was one of the reasons for upgrading to fibre.
      They both get the same as I do , so is homeplugs the way forward? and if so, do you recommend a certain brand.
      I also read somewhere on here that people use their 'old' sagecom router as a wireless extender? Is this possible, would it make the wireless download any better or not? Sorry if these are 'dummy' questions to ask, but I am not very knowledgable in this field
      Many thanks,
      Chris.
      I would say a most likely reason is that the wireless cards in your pc's are "g" rated and not "n" but home plugs are a great solution. My advice would be 500 mbps Devolo ones. Devolo are the most expensive but I think are Apple of the Homeplug world.

​BT Infinity 2 51369/14357
      Sky Fibre Unlimited 39999/10000
      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro 49394/18767 Was before I got DLM'd down to 45000 but now downgraded

Sky Fibre Unlimited 39999/1999
      Sky Broadband Unlimited 10487/1049

6. The Following User Says Thank You to paulkerdot For This Useful Post:

ChrisV (17-02-13)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

As suggested, first check that you have an N compatible adapter in your laptop. Although theoretically capable of 54mbps, a G adapter will be lucky to get 17mbps in real life.

Secondly, I know the Hub is supposed to be good at choosing the best channel automatically, but I would still check this by using Inssider, link below.

Ultimately an ethernet connection will always give a connection superior to wireless, so if you can put up with a wired connection, ethernet is best, even when passed through Homeplugs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

ChrisV (17-02-13)

ChrisV is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01562
      Thanks

Hi again,
      Thankyou all for your responses. I guess being my laptop is not a new one, it would only support g wireless and not n. Not sure about the boys pc's as I bought them off the internet as custom builds. I didn't really want to start tracing ethernet cables through the walls , as i rent the property , so I think that the homeplugs are my best choice.I downloaded inssider , and the neighbours are with virgin using channels 6 and 2 , whilst my router uses channel 11 , so this makes me think you are correct with the laptops lack of capabilities.
      I will get back to you how i get on with these homeplugs.
      Many thanks one more! Great site.
      Chris.
      Just had another thought: would it be cheaper to get new wireless adaptors for pc's rather than homeplugs? Then again, having said that , i can't guarantee that by doing that their download speeds would improve much ?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Certainly a good WiFi adaptor will work well in many situations, but do remember that the further that you are from the router, the more likely that the signal will degrade between the two. Walls, floors, furniture & people can affect the signal strength and quality too. There are many other things which can also affect the signal strength such as electrical equipment and neighbouring routers/devices which share the same channel.

A 300mbps WiFi adaptor for a USB port can be purchased for around 10-15 on Amazon at the present time. A pair of HomePlugs which run at up to 200mbps will set you back around 30-40. So the USB WiFi adaptors are cheaper. Of course if you have internal WiFi adaptors, the prices are going to be similar or better than the USB adaptors.

HomePlugs are IMHO going to be a little more versatile though. A WiFi adaptor is good only for one device at a time. With a cheap Network Switch, the HomePlugs could easily be expanded to support multiple devices at once. With the growing popularity of TVs which can connect to the Internet, as well as Blu-ray players, the Sky+ HD STB and much more, it will not be long before something else will be wanting to make use of an extra connection.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

ChrisV (17-02-13)

rewob65 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The talk is all of ethernet or homeplug connectors, I find ethernet difficult and homeplugs just a little too slow. what has not been explored is wireless extenders and do not know if this is an option with sky. Are there any thoughts on these?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Wireless extenders will work with any wireless router. However how good they will perform depends on the fabric of your home. Both ethernet and Homeplugs are faster and more stable than wireless, whether it be direct to the access point or through a wireless extender.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Wireless extenders will work with any wireless router. However how good they will perform depends on the fabric of your home. Both ethernet and Homeplugs are faster and more stable than wireless, whether it be direct to the access point or through a wireless extender.

Not to mention they will half the throughput seeing as a radio can either receive or transmit but not both at the same time.

seljon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      As suggested, first check that you have an N compatible adapter in your laptop. Although theoretically capable of 54mbps, a G adapter will be lucky to get 17mbps in real life.

Secondly, I know the Hub is supposed to be good at choosing the best channel automatically, but I would still check this by using Inssider, link below.

Ultimately an ethernet connection will always give a connection superior to wireless, so if you can put up with a wired connection, ethernet is best, even when passed through Homeplugs.
      A useful reply for me too. I haven't managed over 14Mb/s since upgrading (its 40Mb/s on wired connection). Mind you that is better than my first router which gave me no more than 4Mb/s! I have 3 laptops in the house all with g wireless cards. What I don't understand though is that I was getting faster speeds with sky conventional broadband. Have I just wasted my money?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast