Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Isitme

Sky Fibre Broadband

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre Broadband within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all I'm considering getting Fibre broadband as I am a big online gamer and also download lots things. From ...

Tekko is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Fibre Broadband

Hi all

I'm considering getting Fibre broadband as I am a big online gamer and also download lots things.

From what I have read about Sky's Fibre broadband though is it requires to be connected to the master socket and you also require sky talk.

I already have the sky broadband unlimited package and I have the router in my room upstairs, which is connected to an extension socket (which my friend installed many years ago, he is an electrician). I get roughly 3-4mb, which is what is expected in my area for normal broadband.

I was wondering if it was possible to have the fibre broadband installed in my room, instead of downstairs, as it may cause some trouble to have cables running from downstairs up into my room (my room is on the opposite side of the house from the master socket). I am not a fan of wireless gaming either, so wireless is a big no no.

What are the main issues, if any, for this to happen.

As for the Sky Talk, my parents control the line rental and are with Talk Talk. I control the Sky TV and Broadband package, I don't think they would be to keen on me changing their phone package, so as an existing sky broadband unlimited customer, can I just upgrade to Fibre with not being forced into Sky Talk?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: Sky Fibre Broadband

In line with all the other major companies, Sky changed their policy of allowing people to have the line rental with another firm back in September 2011. Any new customers to Sky Broadband or anyone upgrading to Sky Fibre will now need to take the Sky Talk package as well.

You will need to look at the various packages around, including Sky's if you want to upgrade to a Fibre product.

An alternative would be to cancel the Sky broadband on their line and have a 2nd telephone line installed (about 100).

As for the connecting system, this isn't so difficult.

Personally I would suggest the following approach in order to get the best connection speed:

BT Master Socket - Connects to BTO Modem & Mum & Dad's telephones.

Run a length of Ethernet cable from the BTO Modem to your room for the Router.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll have to talk them into Sky Talk then, I'll be paying for it, so they can't complain!

Now, you say in order to get the best speeds, to connect it to the BT Master Socket, so what would happen if I just connected it up to the Extension Socket in my room? Would it still work, but maybe just not as fast?

I assume that the engineer would be able to sort out the ethernet cable from downstairs to upstairs though? I'm just worried it may be more than 30m as it would have to follow the skirting board round the house.

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Might be easier going TalkTalk if it's available. Might also be cheaper.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you want to keep things as cheap and simple as possible, you should look at TalkTalk Fibre, especially if you are using a TalkTalk phone..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you want to keep things as cheap and simple as possible, you should look at TalkTalk Fibre, especially if you are using a TalkTalk phone..
      I've not considered leaving Sky because I have had no issues at all with them Broadband wise, where as I was with BT before and they were terrible, and their terrible customer service and inability to fix problems forced me to change to Sky.

However, if TalkTalk is highly rated, it could be worth looking at. Money isn't an issue.

Thanks

As you can see, there are alternatives.

The Ethernet cable is some which you can install if you need a longer length than 30m. Fitting the plugs so as to conform to the Cat 5e standard is really quite simple. As they are easily damaged, I keep a suitable crimp tool and spare plugs for myself.

PlusNet are also offering a good price for their product at the moment.

Sadly Sky's fibre product is not the cheapest at the moment. It does offer the best Unlimited service. For a 40/10 product though, at 20 it is not that good value. If you want an 80/20 based product, then SFUP is very poor at the princely sum of 30 + 14.50 for line rental.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Money isn't an issue.
      In that case, order an additionall phone line and get the master socket installed in your room.
      gymno likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

M@rk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: PFsense
      Thanks

When the openreach engineer installs the fibre he should be able to move the master socket for you at no extra cost. I had mine moved when I switched to fibre.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by M@rk View Post
      When the openreach engineer installs the fibre he should be able to move the master socket for you at no extra cost. I had mine moved when I switched to fibre.
      This would normally be a good answer. I was concerned that if the Master Socket was moved, then the parents would be affected.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Forum Runner