Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Fibre DNS timeout or DHCP issues...?

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre DNS timeout or DHCP issues...? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys I had Fibre Unlimited installed on Tuesday this week. Everything was good throughout the day until the evening ...

paulny33 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Fibre DNS timeout or DHCP issues...?

Hi Guys

I had Fibre Unlimited installed on Tuesday this week. Everything was good throughout the day until the evening when suddenly I couldn't access any websites outside of Google. Trying to load up any page, for instance SKY's website, would just be trying to load for ages before displaying a 'connection time out' message. Visiting Google or doing a google search works but clicking through to a result would not. I could also access and browse pages on YouTube but no videos would actually play.

I have experienced this issue on an iMac and Mac Mini both running Mountain Lion. It also does the same thing on my iPhone and iPad. Rebooting the router solves the issue and it works perfectly afterwards, but today it has happened 5 separate times - last time triggered by me simply clicking the mentions tab on Twitter. I'm concerned about constantly rebooting the router and interrupting my connection (should I be?).

I changed the DNS settings on my iMac to Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 before the last time it happened - yet about an hour in, and the timeouts started and I had to reboot for the fifth time.

Any help would be really appreciated!
      Paul

2. Advertisement
      jdsimp1234 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWBNP - Bridgend .South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre DNS timeout or DHCP issues...?

the other option would be, altho rebooting your router does refresh your connection/sometimes changes your ip address automatically, sometimes my router(2504n), automatically switches off my ethernet to disabled, without telling me, hance i lose my connection, so I have to go to my advanced router settings and disable the router connection for a few seconds then re-enable it, the connection does come back...until the next time i lose the connection...this happens frequently through a day or so, before i have to do the same, just woke up, so had to do this just now....its so annoying!

think its time to phone sky and report my router is broken & ask for a spanking new SR101??

M@rk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: PFsense
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Is it possible you have a line fault and its your line re syncing?

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Wasn't there a bug with one of the firmware versions for the 2504n (i think it was) where it didn't renew the DHCP lease properly?

If the lease failed to renew then you'd drop of the network until the router could get a new IP address.