Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SKy SR101 Wireless Speed

This is a discussion on SKy SR101 Wireless Speed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I have just had sky fibre installed and have a question regarding the wifi speed of the SR101. If ...

richardmills is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

SKy SR101 Wireless Speed

Hi

I have just had sky fibre installed and have a question regarding the wifi speed of the SR101.

If i connect my pc by cat5e to the router and use various speed tests i get 39Mbps down and just over 5Mbps up.

If i use a 300Mbps USB Wifi Adapter (TL-WDN3200 - which i went out and bought because an older adapter i had would only connect at 150Mbps on dual channel) in the same pc i get just under 30Mbps down and just over 5Mbps up.

The router is in auto mode and the WDN3200 is connecting to the router at 150Mbps at a distance of about 4 Meters.

I get the same results using a laptop sat about 1 Meter from the router. (about a 9Mbps slower download speed over wifi)

I also get the same results using 2 other different usb wifi adapters (they need dual channel for 150Mbps so only connect to the router ar 72Mbps)

Ive tried copying a file from the pc to the laptop, pc connected via wifi to the router and the laptop connected via cat5e to the router, and get a 7.5MB/s transfer rate. (60Mbps)

So any ideas why i cant get the same 39Mbps download rate over wifi from the SR101?

I also tried connecting another router to the SR101 (a 300Mbps Orange Bright Box) and connected the pc via wifi to that and get the same 30Mbps over wifi download speed.

Other things i tried:

changing channel to clearest of 1, 6, and 11
      turning off wireless phone
      turning off wifi on all mobiles etc.

Thanks
      Rich

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,246 Times in 2,108 Posts

Re: SKy SR101 Wireless Speed

Hello Richard and welcome to the forum.

Firstly I believe that there are a few things to clarify so that you can understand what is happening.

The Sky Hub SR101 works on a single channel at a maximum connection speed of 144mbps. An adaptor which connects at the maximum of 300mbps will only work at this speed when talking to a router which will support this speed on a paired channel. It will also connect at the maximum speed of 144mbps to a router which supports 144mbps. For more information on this, please see this thread:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/techn...on-speeds.html

The further that you are away from the router, the speed will drop a little.

There are a variety of USB adaptors which will only connect at up to 72mbps to the Sky Hub SR101. This is because, as you have realised, they will only support up to 150mbps on a router that supports a paired channel. 72mbps is the most on a signle channel.

The are some which do support up to 300mbps (Netgear WNDA3100v2 is one such adaptor, there are others).

Next is the throughput speed. You are quoting speed of 7.5MBps and 60mbps. Essentially there isn't an issue IMHO as the speeds are similar. If you are competing with someone else's traffic, then things could be a little worse. After that you have the PC checking the traffic for potential nasties, which will cap the speed a little.

Finally the actual performance of the computer will affect things. I used to always get a throughput speed of around 80% on a 100mb LAN. Recently I have been getting 99% on a 100mb LAN port by using Filezilla to connect to my NAS, which is on a 1Gbit LAN.

As for changing the channels, having been using the Sky Hub SR101 in a busy WiFi area, I can personally say that the Auto setting works well for the Sky Hub SR101. Previously I purchased router which works on the 5GHz channels in order to get something which worked. All the previous routers only had problems on the 2.4GHz channels where I am. The Sky Hub SR101 has behaved very well for me.

I have mentioned elsewhere on this forum that I can easily see 80+ WiFi routers from where I live using inSSIDer.

Obviously DECT phone or AV Senders which work on the 2.4GHz frequency will interfere with your router's signal, but I would definitely say that it works best on the Auto setting.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi.

Thanks for the information.

I detailed that i can get sustained file transfer rates of 60Mbps pc to laptop. (pc > wifi > router > cat5e > laptop)

The question is why can i only get 30Mbps internet download over wifi but over cat5e i can get 39Mbps?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The question is why can i only get 30Mbps internet download over wifi but over cat5e i can get 39Mbps?
      In almost all cases the WiFi download speed will be lower than ethernet. Very few get similar speeds on both. ts a fact of life I'm afraid that higher overheads and interference will reduce the speed of WiFi,

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      In almost all cases the WiFi download speed will be lower than ethernet. Very few get similar speeds on both. ts a fact of life I'm afraid that higher overheads and interference will reduce the speed of WiFi,

I tried another router again last night and managed sustained file transfer speeds of 11.5MBps. (pc > wifi > router > cat5e > laptop, router in 300Mbps dual channel mode) The router only has a 100Mb cable connection so that may have been limiting me here.

So i am really struggling to understand why a speedtest using wifi is slower than a speedtest over cable when the wifi connection im using has the same throughput as a cable connection. (pc > wifi > router > cat5e > SR101). If it was a marginal amount i could let it go but its like 9Mbps.

Thanks

Download and install Inssider.(link below) This will enable you to discover the networks in your area and the channels they are using. Set yours to the channel with least interference, preferably 3 channels clear of any in use. If channel 13 is not in use in your area, this is often a good bet.

As I said before, you are not going to get the same speed as ethernet, partly due to the encryption used by wifi, but you should do better than you are. A drop of nearly 25% is a lot.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Been using inssider. I'm on the best channel already.

I also tried disabling all security on the Wifi to see what effect that had. It had no effect whatsoever to the download speed.

If only sky made it easy for users to use their own equipment I could try that.

I certainly missed that information when I signed up...

Thanks

I also tried disabling all security on the Wifi to see what effect that had. It had no effect whatsoever to the download speed.
      That is unlikely to work and may even reduce your speed. For full wireless N you have to use WPA2 with AES encryption. Have you checked your router is set to use this?

TomD

Useful Utilites

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That is unlikely to work and may even reduce your speed. For full wireless N you have to use WPA2 with AES encryption. Have you checked your router is set to use this?
      You can get full speed with no security enabled, but for obvious reasons this isn't reccomended

marcadam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

So I gather from all of the comments here and else where and my own personal experience that sky have gone for the cheapest hardware available which is in no uncertain terms a piece of cheap, nasty, out dated junk which is not fit for purpose. The hub certainly does not live up to their marketing claims. Believe in sky, believe in better...... yeah believe that other service providers offer a better service than we do!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast