Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SKy SR101 Wireless Speed

This is a discussion on SKy SR101 Wireless Speed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; It depends how you look at it. I'm a ps3 gamer & since joining sky with their 2504n router, i've ...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: SKy SR101 Wireless Speed

It depends how you look at it.

I'm a ps3 gamer & since joining sky with their 2504n router, i've not had a single problem with it.

I know they're locked down, basic & simplified but go to the playstation forums & you'll find a general culture of dislike for the routers supplied by talktalk, bt & virgin.

I think the latter 2 may have upped their game with their latest offerings, but still...

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: SKy SR101 Wireless Speed

The Sky Hub SR101 is a slightly different concept to all the other routers on the market in one respect: Built in PSU.

As for reliability, no complaints from me.

There is an issue I have at present and this has been reported to the development team. They have replicated it and to the best of my knowledge are working on it or have fixed it for the next Sky Hub (currently in beta testing) and wil release an amended code when that is released.

As for speed: I think that most of the regular members will agree that Sky could have done better.

1Gbit LAN may be OTT for many people, but the component cost difference isn't that big. 300mbps WiFi on dual band is most certainly which ISP should have been supplying last year, let alone this. Both VM and BT Retail only released theirs this year, just before the summer holidays.

As for the firmware, the beta group have provided a long list of things which would be beneficial. This is something which can and hopefully will be worked on for a future release. However I currently believe that someone within the development process has stipulated to keep things simple.

Yes the router is fit for purpose. Sadly that purpose is not necessarily one for a high performance user.

If you need a fast LAN connection, then I would highly recommend the use of a 1Gbit Network Switch. I currently have three 8-Port Switches, all 1Gbit. If you need a fast WiFi, then you'll need to consider either a WiFi Extender or your own router.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12