Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky Fibre and Drayteks

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre and Drayteks within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Folks, Some of this I have gathered from other threads but wanted to stick all the information in one ...

equinox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Fibre and Drayteks

Hi Folks,

Some of this I have gathered from other threads but wanted to stick all the information in one place and check if my understanding is correct.

The 2850 has a vdsl modem but doesn't support mer. There are rumours of a firmware upgrade to fix and I have asked Draytek to confirm.

The 2830 does support mer but doesn't have a vdsl modem so you have to use the BT openreach one. Some folks seemingly have got this to work but others haven't. To those that have what settings exactly did you please? And what firmware?

Re user name and password is it still difficult to get from the new sky hub? When I placed my order yesterday they said I could use any router I want so a bit perplexed if it's a significant effort to get my username and password. If

Thanks for any and all help.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky Fibre and Drayteks

A key fact to add here is that Sky uses a non-standard form for MER. The main difference is that Sky requires the username and password in the router to be used to authenticate the connection.

This is the main issue that manufacturers need to implement into the firmware for their routers.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

When I placed my order yesterday they said I could use any router I want so a bit perplexed
      You can, provided you hang it off the back of the supplied Sky router. Sky should not be giving this advice as they know very well their T & Cs do not allow the use of 3rd party routers for direct connection to their network.

Getting the login details from the Hub is not a easy as the older routers, although it is possible. See here-
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extra...hub-sr101.html

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

So good and bad news. Draytek have beta firmware they'll give me that will make the 2850 work with sky.

But sky technical support confirm the sales guy was wrong and they can't provide the user name and password.

So packet sniffing it is I guess.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Update - the beta firmware for the Draytek 2850 doesn't work, they say there will be a new version soon.

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      A key fact to add here is that Sky uses a non-standard form for MER. The main difference is that Sky requires the username and password in the router to be used to authenticate the connection.

This is the main issue that manufacturers need to implement into the firmware for their routers.
      A small correction: "1483MER with DHCP Option 61", as used by Sky, is actually a standard method of encasulation and way to authenticate a connection to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server and is defined in RFC 1483 and RFC 2132.

It's just as you say not generally supported by most routers manufacturers.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to simon194 For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (24-02-13)

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simon194 View Post
      A small correction: "1483MER with DHCP Option 61", as used by Sky, is actually a standard method of encasulation and way to authenticate a connection to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server and is defined in RFC 1483 and RFC 2132.

It's just as you say not generally supported by most routers manufacturers.

Could actually be RFC 2684 and 2132

2684 is multiproticol encapsulation over ATM and replaces 1483 which is now obsolete

2132 deals with DHCP

RFC 2684 - Multiprotocol Encapsulation over ATM Adaptation Layer 5

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2132.txt

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

The point I was attempting to make was that in order to use a cable or ADSL router to connect to Sky's servers, using Sky's MER, the standard firmware supplied with the routers will not work.

There are now some exceptions to this. These include the Billion 7800N and OpenWRT firmware.

It would be nice if Sky would drop this non-standard system. Alternatively it would be good if all the router manufacturers could automatically include options to allow us to put in the log in details.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      It would be nice if Sky would drop this non-standard system. Alternatively it would be good if all the router manufacturers could automatically include options to allow us to put in the log in details.
      And it would also be nice if Sky would also just simply provide the username and password for the connection login like other ISPs do!
      toekneem and Scubbie like this.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

The point I was attempting to make was that in order to use a cable or ADSL router to connect to Sky's servers, using Sky's MER, the standard firmware supplied with the routers will not work.

There are now some exceptions to this. These include the Billion 7800N and OpenWRT firmware.

Except it is a perfectly standard DHCP option any well written client SHOULD support it, it's just most manufacturers didn't bother to think about the fact that someone might want to send a custom string.

Infact with a cable/Ethernet router it's not even MER it's just Bog standard Ethernet with DHCP the ATM encapsulation is down to the Modem not the router...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast