Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

FTTC is finally at my exchange! Decisions, Decisions..

This is a discussion on FTTC is finally at my exchange! Decisions, Decisions.. within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So FTTC has finally arrived at my local exchange...however I'm struggling to decide which provider to go for. I'm currently ...

davep1976 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Nere : Ryhope
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

FTTC is finally at my exchange! Decisions, Decisions..

So FTTC has finally arrived at my local exchange...however I'm struggling to decide which provider to go for. I'm currently on Sky Unlimited 20mb and syncing at 17mb so it's safe to say I should get full speed with who ever I go with. But comparing the 76mb down and 20mb up packages with Skys and Plusnet they work out at about 44 per month with Sky as opposed to 31 with Plusnet.

I think I'd be classed as quite a heavy downloader currently at about 2-300gb per month and the added benefit of the upload speed is attractive as I spend quite a few nights away each month and the facility to stream any of my TV Shows or Movies to anywhere I may be is great!

So a few questions if anyone can assist.

1) Do Sky or Plusnet traffic manage on BT's Fibre network the same way as BT do during peak times?

2) If they do manage traffic what sort of speeds can you expect during peak hours on P2P etc?

3) Has anyone any experience of Plusnet and could you give me honest opinions of their service?

Thanks for your help

Dave

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: FTTC is finally at my exchange! Decisions, Decisions..

Sky do not slow your connection speed down at all, no matter how much you use your connection. However currently there are a few areas which are experiencing some backhaul problems. Sky are aware of this and are working to resolve the issue.

There are a few members on this forum who can confirm that Sky does not slow your P2P traffic down at any time.

It has been suggested that Sky could one day change this policy, but they are still using the 'truly unlimited' campaign, so I can't see them doing it soon. Of course there are the announcements due this week.

PlusNet's current package looks very inviting at present. They currently have a good reputation and push the fact that their call centres are based in Yorkshire. Most of Sky's call centres are also based in the UK, with a small centre in India for some late night calls and also some Bank Holidays.

PlusNet do restrict the speed of torrents. I would suggest that if no one on here lets you know the details that you check out their site for more information on this.

Sky still offers a 12 month contract. PlusNet has a minimum 18 month contract.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

davep1976 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Nere : Ryhope
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

I've had a quick look at Plusnet's website but I can't find any indication as to what extent the speed would be reduced during peak times. If anyone can advise I'd appreciate it.

I have also spoken with an adviser at Plusnet this evening who was unable to tell me what speed it would likely be reduced to either, however they did say that if I moved to Sky fibre from my Sky LLU I would still be open to traffic management as it would be BT's network not Sky's. Can you advise on this?

Thanks

Dave

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Total rubbish. It's not bts network but openreach as is every non vm telephone line. Yet llu is not traffic shaped even though it uses openreach telephone lines.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davep1976 View Post

I have also spoken with an adviser at Plusnet this evening who was unable to tell me what speed it would likely be reduced to either, however they did say that if I moved to Sky fibre from my Sky LLU I would still be open to traffic management as it would be BT's network not Sky's. Can you advise on this?

Thanks

Dave

I've not noticed any and we hit 250 - 300GB most months, On a particularly heavy Month I almost breeched 1TB

http://bandwidth.fbdn.net - it averages over the longer periods (It's stated on the graph the averaging period)

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

You get what you pay for. Plusnet have usage limits and heavy traffic management on most of their packages.

Also, Sky Fibre doesn't use BT's backhaul.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buddbuttocks View Post
      You get what you pay for. Plusnet have usage limits and heavy traffic management on most of their packages.

Also, Sky Fibre doesn't use BT's backhaul.
      Plusnet looks to have the best offer currently on the up to 76mb unlimited fibre product, currently. Although it remains to be seen what type of traffic shaping they will employ to be able to meet that price point.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

gamesaregood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Foxhall
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davep1976 View Post
      I'm currently on Sky Unlimited 20mb and syncing at 17mb so it's safe to say I should get full speed with who ever I go with.
      Why is this safe to assume?

The FTTC speed is determined on the distance you are to the fibre cabinet so has nothing to do with the speed you were previously receiving on Sky Unlimited or any other ADSL based service.

Its also not safe to assume that if your exchange is now enabled that your cabinet is enabled.

Have you checked that FTTC is available to you and which speeds your estimated to receive?

Spitfire is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Of course there are the announcements due this week.

Does anyone know what this announcement is about/when its due to be released?

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

Does anyone know what this announcement is about/when its due to be released?
      BSkyB half year results announcement on Thursday. Previous corporate results days have sometimes been accompanied by press releases about new products, changes to products, that sort of thing.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast