Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By dragon2611

Upgrade from Broadband Unlimited to Fibre

This is a discussion on Upgrade from Broadband Unlimited to Fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone, looking for the answers to a couple of queries, I joined Sky at the end of September last ...

cuna84 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01923
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Upgrade from Broadband Unlimited to Fibre

Hi everyone, looking for the answers to a couple of queries, I joined Sky at the end of September last year, receiving both the Sky World package and Broadband Unlimited from Sky. I am aware that there is a 12 month contract, however I am looking to upgrade my broadband to the Sky Fibre option. (The 3 months half price offer is attractive). I am curious as to where this would leave me with regard to the Ts and Cs. Does my 12 month broadband contract remain the same, i.e ending at the end of September 2013 or does the 12 month period reset if I upgrade to fibre? If it remains the same, then I would be very tempted to upgrade as it would be worth trying fibre out until the end of the contract especially with 3 months at half price

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: Upgrade from Broadband Unlimited to Fibre

It should be viewed as an upgrade and with restart the 12 month contract period for the telephone and broadband part of your package.

The TV is seen as a different contract.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

cuna84 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01923
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Ah ok, thats "slightly" disappointing to hear, guess I will hang off on the upgrade then, the main reason being, that we are currently renting at the moment, and not sure where we will be after the end of September, so don't want to be locked in any contract that runs beyond that time. Thanks for the info anyhow Scubbie.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cuna84 View Post
      Ah ok, thats "slightly" disappointing to hear, guess I will hang off on the upgrade then, the main reason being, that we are currently renting at the moment, and not sure where we will be after the end of September, so don't want to be locked in any contract that runs beyond that time. Thanks for the info anyhow Scubbie.

I believe Sky will move your services providing you move somewhere within their LLU footprint.

The upgrade to FTTC will start a new 12 month contract but they should let you upgrade even if your ADSL service is still within the contract period.

I joined the ADSL on one of the 6 month free offers they were doing, just as I started paying for ADSL, Skys FTTC service became available however they still let me upgrade
      Scubbie likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Depending on the specific circumstances Sky will most likely want to help you to move their telephone and broadband services to a new property. However if you can't get Fibre at the new home, then you shouldn't be penalised for it. If you are in an area with Sky's LLU and no fibre, they will most likely want you to swap to a Sky telephone/broadband service.

As much as I would love to give you a definitive answer, it really does depend on the circumstances. Sky will generally be very friendly in this area. Do remember that they require 31 days notice though.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Depending on the specific circumstances Sky will most likely want to help you to move their telephone and broadband services to a new property. However if you can't get Fibre at the new home, then you shouldn't be penalised for it. If you are in an area with Sky's LLU and no fibre, they will most likely want you to swap to a Sky telephone/broadband service.

As much as I would love to give you a definitive answer, it really does depend on the circumstances. Sky will generally be very friendly in this area. Do remember that they require 31 days notice though.
      It's exactly the situation I was in a while back. I was 6 months into a fibre contract and had to move. The house I was moving to didn't have fibre available so Sky switched me to their unlimited ADSL for the remaining 6 months of the contract. As it happened fibre became available a couple of days before I moved in to the new place so I ordered fibre once my phone etc was sorted.

The only downside was because it was an upgrade from ADSL it meant a new 12 month contract.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simon194 View Post
      It's exactly the situation I was in a while back. I was 6 months into a fibre contract and had to move. The house I was moving to didn't have fibre available so Sky switched me to their unlimited ADSL for the remaining 6 months of the contract. As it happened fibre became available a couple of days before I moved in to the new place so I ordered fibre once my phone etc was sorted.

The only downside was because it was an upgrade from ADSL it meant a new 12 month contract.

It wouldn't surprise me if it started a new 12 month contract for FTTC either way as I think BT tie sky in for 12months, they are probably taking a hit on an Early Termination Fee by letting you move it in contract without charging you for the move, and they will certainly be charged for provisioning the new connection as well.