Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Sky Fibre Pro

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre Pro within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You didn't need to go to the membership list http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/gener...broadband.html What I did forget to ask about was the line ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky Fibre Pro

You didn't need to go to the membership list

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/gener...broadband.html

What I did forget to ask about was the line rental. Also, just to state another factor for many, the 80/20 product is only good value if your connection speed is above 40mb. Many people will be some distance from their Fibre cabinet. In this cases the actual connection speed will be less then 40mb.

As for the exchange type issue, the price is good for Market 2 & 3 exchanges, but not Market 1.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Also, just to state another factor for many, the 80/20 product is only good value if your connection speed is above 40mb. Many people will be some distance from their Fibre cabinet. In this cases the actual connection speed will be less then 40mb.
      I would say that, for the Sky 80/20 product (Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro), the extra 10 per month over the 40/10 product is only good value if your line will support throughput near to the maximum.

If you're like me and your line won't support more than 60Mbps, I'd say it's marginal in terms of value.

But if I switched to PlusNet, I'd be on an 80/20 product for 19.99 and so I'd get another speed bump for 1p less than I'm paying Sky.

I'd prefer not to switch purely to avoid the hassle and any possible disruption so I'm looking to Sky to revamp the fibre product line "soon".

While I'm waiting though, I'm researching the procedure involved in moving from Sky (Full MPF LLU) to another provider (such as PlusNet) and looking for real life customer experiences...
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamieLee2k View Post
      Plusnet do upto 76mb unlimited for 19.99

Yes and it's a shame ISP's have still failed to learn the lessons in the Race to the bottom for the ADSL market and are doomed to repeat the same mistakes again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      I would say that, for the Sky 80/20 product (Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro), the extra 10 per month over the 40/10 product is only good value if your line will support throughput near to the maximum.

But if I switched to PlusNet, I'd be on an 80/20 product for 19.99 and so I'd get another speed bump for 1p less than I'm paying Sky...
      Ok, I took a look at PlusNet's site. It is actually better value than that. All prices are 'per month':

Fibre Broadband (based on the up to 80/20 connection) : 19.99
      Line Rental : 13.99
      Talk Anytime : 4 (including 0845 & 0870 numbers)

Ignoring their offers for new customers at the moment, that equate to a direct comparison saving of 11.52 per month if you take the Talk Anytime compared to having Sky's Talk Unlimited, which doesn't include the 0845 & 0870 numbers, with SFUP as well. If it is SFU you are comparing with, then the difference is 1.52 per month.

Taking into account the fact that you can also use your own router and are supplied with the details to do it as well, on balance it looks excellent value.

Of course PlusNet pushes the fact that they use Call Centres based in Yorkshire too.

Before jumping though, I would always remind people to check the International calls (for example you call the USA & other countries for free for up to an hour at a time with Sky). Sky uses their own Network between the telephone exchange and their servers. Sky does not shape the traffic at all, beyond routing specific requests in a particular manner, much like all ISPs would.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

speedyrite (26-01-13)

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Don't forget that Line Rental Saver (125.88), is readily available and easy to buy (unlike it's Sky equivalent which appears to be a bit of a pallava to actually buy!), and would reduce the price further.

On the flip side, if you want Caller ID it's 99p a month with Plusnet but free with Sky.

Interesting you mentioned the 0845/0870 numbers because I am on Sky Talk Anytime and just checked my bill, where I have been charged an additional 4.63 this month for calls to 0845 numbers!

Thanks

Of course you could pay the line rental in advance with both packages. Both offer a 12 month contract for ADSL products, but only Sky offers a 12 month contract for Fibre Broadband. PlusNet stipulates an 18 month minimum contract.

If you move home I believe that Sky restarts you with a 12 month contract. PlusNet will also restart their contract to either 12 (ADSL) or 18 (Fibre) months.

Plusnet terms and conditions for residential services.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stereohaven View Post
      Don't forget that Line Rental Saver (125.88), is readily available and easy to buy (unlike it's Sky equivalent which appears to be a bit of a pallava to actually buy!), and would reduce the price further.

On the flip side, if you want Caller ID it's 99p a month with Plusnet but free with Sky.

Interesting you mentioned the 0845/0870 numbers because I am on Sky Talk Anytime and just checked my bill, where I have been charged an additional 4.63 this month for calls to 0845 numbers!

I just phoned sky C/S and asked if it was possible to pay my line rental a year in advance, they confirmed the price and process the order, hardly what i'd call a pallava

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by stereohaven
      Very true.
      119.40 is sky's equivalent... if you can find it.
      I've heard of people struggling to get the offer, but it is there.

The only way i've found (from sky.com) is:
      Shop
      Broadband & Talk
      Scroll to bottom of page & under the 'here's the legal bit', click 'show' on the first 'offers' tab.

Upfront line rental offer: Available to new and existing customers taking Sky Broadband, Talk and line rental. Line rental is charged as an upfront cost of 119.40 for the entire 12 months. Equivalent to 9.95 per month - a saving of 54.60 over 12 months. Standard monthly price 14.50. After the 12 months has ended, you will automatically be moved on to the standard monthly price, unless you specify otherwise. Offer ends 29 June 2013.
      Any other route, such as clicking 'products' or just 'sky talk' doesn't seem to show the offers tab.

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      I just phoned sky C/S and asked if it was possible to pay my line rental a year in advance, they confirmed the price and process the order, hardly what i'd call a pallava
      Oh I would, check out this thread for context!

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I just read that thread stereo.

I miss deadman.
      stereohaven likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast