Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By dragon2611

Please recommend me some Home Plugs + TP Link router

This is a discussion on Please recommend me some Home Plugs + TP Link router within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi people, are am looking to get a better setup for my house in general. I need some HomePlugs first ...

Harlem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Please recommend me some Home Plugs + TP Link router

Hi people, are am looking to get a better setup for my house in general.

I need some HomePlugs first of all. I need a set of 3 (One for the router, One for bedroom, and one for living room) I don't know how these work, but can you buy a set of two and a single for them to work fine, or do you have to buy them in packs of 3 for them all to work

Secondly, I am wanting a good TP Router. I would like to get rid of the sky router all together really, but I also don't want the cost of all this to get too high in one go.
      I want the TP Router for two reasons:
      1. I want to set up Netflix from the US, so I was told I need one of these so I can change settings apparently?
      2. I want to set certain items in my household to get more of a share of the internet than others. I was told by getting one of these, I could cap certain devices speeds.

Thank you in advance for the help

2. Advertisement
      goodgrr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burnham
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Re: Please recommend me some Home Plugs + TP Link router

On the Homeplugs, there are various standards, however if you buy ones operating on the same standard then they will work together (i.e. buy 2 then an extra later)

A good price for a pair at the moment is these Zyxel PLA4201 500Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adaptor Twin Pack (PLA4201-GB0201F) - BT Shop

They are 500mbps speed so good for Fibre as well as standard broadband.

goodgrr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burnham
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

s1ndr0me is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWPEU
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

We use the TP-Link TL-PA511 500Mbps ones. got them as set of two and then bought the additional one seperatly. We had no problems adding the additional unit. Even with our house wiring theres enough bandwidth to stream two 10gig 1080p movies simultaneously.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s1ndr0me View Post
      We use the TP-Link TL-PA511 500Mbps ones. got them as set of two and then bought the additional one seperatly. We had no problems adding the additional unit. Even with our house wiring theres enough bandwidth to stream two 10gig 1080p movies simultaneously.
      About 10Mbit/s eachI would suspect.

If you were streaming an actual Blu-Ray it can hit 40Mbit/s + in places
      Scubbie likes this.

Harlem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Hi, sorry, I was away a few days.

So any of the above home plugs would be good. I guess the higher the MBps the better? or are their other factors

Also, as I am looking for either a TP-Link router or just a general better router, what would you recommend.
      I want one that can give me options on:
      A. I want to connect to netflix US, so one where I can change the settings for it
      B. I want to be able to limit certain devices to only a small part of the internet, while giving the xbox full freedom

Thanks

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Harlem View Post
      Hi, sorry, I was away a few days.

So any of the above home plugs would be good. I guess the higher the MBps the better? or are their other factors

Also, as I am looking for either a TP-Link router or just a general better router, what would you recommend.
      I want one that can give me options on:
      A. I want to connect to netflix US, so one where I can change the settings for it
      B. I want to be able to limit certain devices to only a small part of the internet, while giving the xbox full freedom

Thanks

Homeplugs are affected by electrical noise an the quality of the wiring also the physical throughput is considerably less than the PHY rate, therefore get 500Mbit/s ones at least if you have FTTC as they have better chance of handling the throughput required.

My Gigabit ones (Mediaxtreme chipset rather than homeplug standard) seem to hit between 70 - 90Mbit/s between floors but the shipping firmware was terrible, infact even the offical firmware was terrible.

The 500Mbit/s are based on the homeplug standard and probably better. That said unless conditions are good don't be suprised if they're still slower than your broadband if you have the 80Mbit/s service.

A) Something that can run DD-WRT or Tomato firmware, need to be careful with TP-Links in that regard as there are often multiple revisions of the same model some of which are compatible and some are not.

B) That sounds like you want a webfilter rather than a router, if you want anything beyond a few simple rules then we're going to stop looking at SOHO routers and look at building a proper firewall with Web interception/Proxying capablity.

Or I suppose you could use Nasty NAT tricks with tomato/dd-wrt to force the use of OpenDNS for the devices you want to filter. Although if one knows the ip of the site they want to reach it's still possible to bypass it.