Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Fibre Installed This Morning - 7.5mbps! Is that it? Very disappointed... DLM really necessary?

This is a discussion on Fibre Installed This Morning - 7.5mbps! Is that it? Very disappointed... DLM really necessary? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys, I had the BTO come this morning and install the modem and attach the Sky Hub. He seemed ...

itzame is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01323
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Fibre Installed This Morning - 7.5mbps! Is that it? Very disappointed... DLM really necessary?

Hi Guys, I had the BTO come this morning and install the modem and attach the Sky Hub. He seemed in a hurry, he mentioned he had another 10 to do today! Following the install he asked me to login to the wireless using my iPad and once logged on he left.

However, I made myself a cup of coffee and connected my iMac using ethernet directly to the HUB and headed straight for speedtest.net - Ouch! Downspeed 7.5mbps. Ping 19 has and upload was 5.5mbps. Obviously the latter seems to me like a big improvement from my old ADSL but the down is actually SLOWER than my old ADSL connection of 9.5. I was told I could get up to 34mbps when I signed up for it. WTF?

I called SKY and they have told me to wait 2 WEEKS while they test the line using [DLM] and my speed will improve. I have read some posts from other users on the internet and they have mentioned slow initial down stream connections but none as slow as this. They have also mentioned that the line testing / training / bedding in whatever you call it is actually not necessary with fibre connections. I'm confused.

Can anybody clear this up for me? Am I going to be wasting my time for the next two weeks. Paying over the odds for a slower connection and taking the day off work for this has left me feeling very frustrated and disappointed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Advertisement
      jrfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Fibre Installed This Morning - 7.5mbps! Is that it? Very disappointed... DLM really necessa

I was under the impression that fibre started out at the maximum speed and DLM then ran and slowed it down if any line issues were detected.

My connection started as per the speed test in my sig and has stayed there ever since.

I think you have been fed a load of bull excreta.

Thanks

Re: Fibre Installed This Morning - 7.5mbps! Is that it? Very disappointed... DLM really necessa

WOW! Your speeds are impressive (looks to the sky [no pun intended] and dreams). I have a sneeky feeling you are right about being led up the garden path. I will continue to look to see if there any other people who have / are suffering the same issue as me. Perhaps (deep breath) there may have even been a solution.

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

Reset the router and/or Openreach modem.

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

did the engineer change the faceplate out for a VDSL one. it should look like the pic below

AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Thanks

Yes I have reset both the modem and the router twice now, no difference. And yes the faceplate is the same as the picture. I'm starting to pull my hair out! Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      did the engineer change the faceplate out for a VDSL one. it should look like the pic below

Bi5h is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

I'd be back straight in touch with the Sky fibre team. I doubt he's putting in faceplates if he is doing 10 a day. Read my thread for my recent experience with a fibre install.

Johnelf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ewell
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub 4
      Thanks

How are you doing the speed test wireless or wired connection?
      what are the speed statistics on the modem?

Thanks

I'm using a wired connection to the router. The router or modem? stats say
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 7544
      UpStream Connection Speed 5692

Johnelf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ewell
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub 4
      Thanks

Ouch ok
      Sorry I was hoping you we're you going to say wireless and possible wifi channel clash.
      But if the modem/router is saying that, then not good i agree.Something Clearly wrong. If you we're getting ADSL speed of 9 down, then I reckon you should be getting the full 40 down now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnelf For This Useful Post:

itzame (18-01-13)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast