Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree5Likes

Fibre Installed This Morning - 7.5mbps! Is that it? Very disappointed... DLM really necessary?

This is a discussion on Fibre Installed This Morning - 7.5mbps! Is that it? Very disappointed... DLM really necessary? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sky checked the line and confirmed bodge job. Nice. Apparently they cannot book me another engineer today because the computers ...

itzame is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01323
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Fibre Installed This Morning - 7.5mbps! Is that it? Very disappointed... DLM really necessa

Sky checked the line and confirmed bodge job. Nice. Apparently they cannot book me another engineer today because the computers are down that database all the appointment slots. I have been asked to call back Monday!

ricopico... I'm not sure how to check the master socket because it looks like this and the phone is plugged into to it.

Fibre Installed This Morning - 7.5mbps! Is that it? Very disappointed... DLM really necessary?-img_1283.jpg

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Fibre Installed This Morning - 7.5mbps! Is that it? Very disappointed... DLM really necessa

Fixed it!!!!!! The BTO Engineer had plugged the main phone line into the "Master" socket in the living room. I unplugged it and plugged it into the extension socket in my office. I ran the speed test again and now I am pulling in 31mbps and 8.00 up! Thanks guys for all your input.

jrfer and Scubbie like this.

jrfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itzame View Post
      Fixed it!!!!!! The BTO Engineer had plugged the main phone line into the "Master" socket in the living room. I unplugged it and plugged it into the extension socket in my office. I ran the speed test again and now I am pulling in 31mbps and 8.00 up! Thanks guys for all your input.

Nice to hear

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itzame View Post

Yes looks like the phone in that master is unfiltered, Personally I'd still peruse getting them to come back and install it properly as everything execpt where the modem connects should be properly filtered.
      Scubbie likes this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2611 For This Useful Post:

itzame (19-01-13)

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You need to move your router and vdsl2 faceplate to the master
      and run ethernet to the office

vdsl2 doesnt like extensions in the slightest

that wiring is absmal and even if you are getting 31mbit now you are filtering the phone on the master
      its still causing serious line quality issues

Exchange:
      Thanks

If there's no power by the master socket providing it's a short enough cable run it's possible to remotely power the modem over the Ethernet cable.

At least with the Huawei modems it works not tried with an ECI but providing you can get an Injector/Splitter that fits the DC jack it should work You need a passive poe injector/splitter.

Just remember the splitter at the modem end of the cable, I doubt it wants the 12v coming into it's ethernet socket as it doesn't officially support Poe.

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

As Shonk says - i'd remove the VDSL faceplate from the extension and switch it out for the Openreach faceplate on the master!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jayhab For This Useful Post:

itzame (19-01-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayhab View Post
      As Shonk says - i'd remove the VDSL faceplate from the extension and switch it out for the Openreach faceplate on the master!
      Depends on how much time you have spare I suppose and then if you want to risk it breaking later and BT complaining it's been tampered with.

Yes it is something you can fix yourself but at the end of the day Openreach were paid to do a job which was to install the FTTC connection, they did a substandard job of it and as a result your service is servilely degraded as a result. They should be made to come back and do it properly.

If no one complains then these rouge engineers who think they can just do a half arsed job get praised for the number of jobs done per day whilst the hard working engineers who do the job properly get excrement dropped on them from above by management who only look at stats.. (If he can do X jobs per day why can't you type logic)

It also gives openreach a bad name which makes the job even harder for those left that actually do take pride in their work and do things properly rather than quickly.
      jrfer and gymno like this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2611 For This Useful Post:

itzame (21-01-13)

Thanks

Having spent the rest of the weekend with my new connection (that works) I am, to be honest over the moon with it. The fact that I have moved our main home phone (with message service stats) into the office is probably not a bad thing. It has left me in two minds as to what to do... I could call SKY again and run the risk of getting another "shoddy" engineer who might make things more complicated or as dragon2611 says follow through with the complaint and filter out the good from the bad. Dunno!

I have already made my feelings felt about the engineer who visited. Whether this feedback gets back is another matter. Again I would like to say thank you for your help with this frustrating (now resolved "ish") topic. I am impressed with the skyuser forums and what they have to offer. I have never used a forum before. I plan to continue using this forum as much as possible, for my own benefit and others.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123